Hunter Shinkaruk - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
raymond was fine at everything and elite going in a straight line. once he got to that speed though, he had no control. its not like he just fell over as soon as he stood up, his general movement when he wasnt trying to go 100% was good enough

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Raymond was fast straight ahead but he wasn't a "dynamic" skater. Pretty average diagonally. His shot is good but he has a slow release. He would be a lot more dangerous if he can shoot the puck while he is skating. A lot of times he takes too long to shoot. Shinkaruk doesn't have this problem.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Well, Shinkaruk has no where near the speed of Raymond, and Raymond has nowhere near the skill, so I wouldn't consider them very comparable at all.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I think Shinkaruk will have a good year down in Utica. I have a feeling he will do really well with Fox, and actually with Grenier.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Raymond was a master of the buttonhook, so it isn't like he was only a good "straight line" skater.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
Raymond was a Leaf, and now he's a Flame. Enough said.

Not really.

Every player has his strengths and weaknesses. Sure, at the end of his tenure here, everyone really just focused on his negatives but its no surprise that his biggest strength has been what the Canucks have been missing.

That strength was his transition game, make fun of him falling down all you want but he could pressure puck carriers with his speed when they were coming up the ice, something the Canucks sorely lacked last year and it showed. They gave up so many easy zone-entries, it was laughable. Also, his ability to get the puck out when it was in his zone is something the current Canucks wingers need to learn. He'd rush it up the ice himself or just simply flip it out of the zone and it'd be gone.

Hopefully, Shinkaruk will be able to withstand the physical challenges when he has the puck in the offensive zone and not get pushed around which was something Raymond found difficulty in. In addition to his obviously higher skill level, if Shinkaruk can develop the hustle and ability to play the transition game that Raymond had, we'll have at least an elite second-line LW.

Developing that 2-way game will help him stick in the NHL for a long, long time.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Heard a ridiculous notion on Calgary sports radio this morning. I post it in this thread because if it were to be applied to one of our prospects, Hunter would be the most relevant. They implied that Jonny Gaudreau should be kept in the NHL this year because the AHL has "more reckless players" and is "less structured" than the NHL. Basically they're saying it's better for an undersized prospect to develop in the NHL because it's safer. Personally it sounds asinine. Thoughts?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Heard a ridiculous notion on Calgary sports radio this morning. I post it in this thread because if it were to be applied to one of our prospects, Hunter would be the most relevant. They implied that Jonny Gaudreau should be kept in the NHL this year because the AHL has "more reckless players" and is "less structured" than the NHL. Basically they're saying it's better for an undersized prospect to develop in the NHL because it's safer. Personally it sounds asinine. Thoughts?

I don't think there is a big difference but there are a lot more desperate marginal players in the AHL by default. Gaudreau is an interesting case in that he can play at NHL level offensively so he likely could be just as well off at NHL level, it is not as if the Flames are going to care if he makes a few defensive mistakes (ooops we moved closer to the top draft pick :sarcasm:).

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC

interesting because I thought Gaudreau was so good that he automatically qualifies for superstar treatment where nobody hits him.

Or at least that's what Flames fans believe.

Ventana*

One dimensional skill player. Prime goal high: 31 goals, average goals/season - 23, average points - 53. Comparable - Jeff Skinner clone.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011

They're just worried about being a two hour drive from this:

Darren-Archibald-is-the-destroyer-of-worlds.gif

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Those images are frightening when the skate windmills up like that.. Its amazing their is not more skate blade cuts in hockey really.

To be fair, most people know how to take a hit and don't end up doing cartwheels down the rink like this guy did.

You'd be surprised how cut resistant a simple sock is. Still, I get where you're coming from :help:

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
One dimensional skill player. Prime goal high: 31 goals, average goals/season - 23, average points - 53. Comparable - Jeff Skinner clone.

Coming from the guy who thinks tram is comparable to Douglas Murray...

Shinkaruk may be an offensively focused player, but I think this is the first time I've heard of him referred to as one-dimensional...

Ventana*

Coming from the guy who thinks tram is comparable to Douglas Murray...

Shinkaruk may be an offensively focused player, but I think this is the first time I've heard of him referred to as one-dimensional...

A tram is comparible to Douglas Murray. I think many would agree.

Ventana*

Yes, an inanimate object is comparable to Murray. Not Tryamkin. :shakehead

Also, offensive players aren't one-dimensional.

Also, large offensive players aren't 3rd line crash-and-bangers at best.

Exactly. I compared a tram to Douglas Murray. I don't know what you're arguing about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad