Music: Hump Day, Best 90s Albums

Please vote for up to eight 90s albums you like the best

• Total voters

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
"The speed metalheads were barking, "Sellout!" the minute this baby dropped: Metallica had actually bothered to write songs, not just string ten minutes' worth of hot licks into an anti-capital-punishment suite. But in slowing the tempos down from dizzy to primal, in choosing meaty presence over mere velocity in the riffing, Metallica made a record of durable, mature violence — not to mention the biggest metal album of the decade. And don't let the orchestration and James Hetfield's thoughtful growl on "Nothing Else Matters" fool you: Metallica didn't turn into power-ballad suckers; they simply created a ballad with power". Metallica

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Needs more Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

Also......

1692210553927.png

Definitely had this one in my sony discman for most of high school. :laugh:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Pales in comparison to the S/T debut.

Eh.....debateable, although I will say I'm a tad biased because EE was my intro to Rage at the time.

Circled back to the debut album only afterwards and it is indeed solid.

Of course, I'd still venture to say that over the years they haven't released a bad album....BoLA had many decent tracks I still listen to from time to time (Testify, Ashes in the Fall, etc.), and their covers album had some surprising hits as well (Maggie's Farm, Street Fighting Man, etc.).

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Purely subjective, but I thought Siamese Dream (Smashing Pumpkins) was the best rock album of the '9os.

'Ten' was probably the best debut of the decade..

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Eh.....debateable, although I will say I'm a tad biased because EE was my intro to Rage at the time.

Circled back to the debut album only afterwards and it is indeed solid.

Of course, I'd still venture to say that over the years they haven't released a bad album....BoLA had many decent tracks I still listen to from time to time (Testify, Ashes in the Fall, etc.), and their covers album had some surprising hits as well (Maggie's Farm, Street Fighting Man, etc.).

I was utterly disappointed with Evil Empire. I only like Bulls on Parade off the whole damn album. The S/T is just brilliant throughout. BoLA is good. Probably a 7 out of 10 album for me.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
"Aquemini" is an extraordinary album. One of the greatest rap/hip-hop albums of all time. It has a few flaws (which lots of mid/late 90's rap albums suffered from). It's a bit too long, and there are some dumb skits. But it's bold and experimental. I would classify it as progressive hip-hop (similar to how one might categorize Yes as progressive rock). "SpottieOttieDopaliscious", "Liberation" and "Chonkyfire" are the highlights.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
My top 10:

OK Computer by Radiohead
XO by Elliott Smith
Summerteeth by Wilco
Mezzanine by Massive Attack
Ten by Pearl Jam
If you’re feeling sinister by Belle and Sebastian
Repeater by Fugazi
36 chambers by Wu tang clan
Things fall apart by the roots
I can hear the heart beating as one by yo la tengo

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The 90s were probably the second richest decade of music only after the 70s. It's so hard to have ten. I mentioned September 24th, 1991 alone somewhat as a joke or tribute above. 4-5 albums that came out on that that shaped the 90s sound and that doesn't even include The Black Album by Metallica or Ten by Pearl Jam which were out that summer.

I'm not a huge Oasis guy and I'm very hit or miss with Radiohead, but you can include like a Definitely Maybe or Kid A on a best of list and not be wrong. I'm more prone to putting Parklife or The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld on a list.

There was so much going on that decade. And some of it we're still finding out about to this day.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
A Trice Called Quest - Low End Theory
Nas - Illmatic
De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead
Ice Cube - Amerikkka's Most Wanted
Main Source - Breaking Atoms
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
Organized Konfusion - The Extinction Agenda
Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Blackstar
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Gangstarr - Hard To Earn

Reactions: Saturated Fats

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Temple Of The Dog - S/T
Failure - Fantastic Planet
Tool - Lateralus

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
BOGIE! I can always count on you to irk me with your poll options!

But eh, I haven't done one of these in a while. Here are 17 albums from the 90s that matter to me, in no particular order (with the exception of #1). I'm sure there are more. This is is from five minutes worth of library sifting.

Nas - Illmatic
Swans - Soundtracks for the Blind
Current 93 - All the Pretty Horses
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
They Might Be Giants - Flood
Apex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Björk - Homogenic
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
Genius/GZA - Liquid Swords
Goodie Mob - Soul Food
Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime