GDT: HUGHES BROTHERS Devils @ Canucks 10pm MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Decided to re-watch highlights and...f***ing Ray Ferraro blatantly displaying his anti-Devils bias once again. Wildly unprofessional.
Really? I don't know, I thought he wasn't too anti-Devils. I'm not sure if he works for the Canucks now as John Garrett's permanent replacement on color commentary or if he's just a SportsNet color commentator they bring in for whatever games. That was definitely the Canucks broadcast though, so he was probably more pro-Canucks.

I thought he was on Vitek all night (as were the guys in the studio on NHLN before the game started), but mostly just in the 1st period with some of those rebounds.

But on the game tying goal he did say something like ''When you play Vitek Vanecek, you're gonna get some rebounds'' which I found amusing.

Reactions: My3Sons

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Is this just the new NHL in a whole? I see this exact game league wide every week multiple times.

Obviously we need better d coverage and goaltending but is this just the new norm?

Honestly, I don't even think it's the "bad defense" that's the issue with this team, it's their mindset. This game really solidified that for me. They just regained the lead, goes on pk to a team with a very good pp and Nico decides to gun for offense instead of ensuring a clear out of the zone. 3rd period, up 5-2 and the team does a million risky plays. I can't remember all of them but I remember a couple risky passes in the dzone that could've been bad. The one play with Jack holding onto the puck in the dzone comes strongly to mind as well.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’m all for Schmid more but wasn’t the talk from Fitz at the beginning of the summer that he could even be sent down? Thought this was a bit ridiculous coming off his fairly strong performance in the playoffs, but if I remember those quotes I can see why they are reluctant to effectively make him the #1.

Leads me to the questions: If you thought Schmid would be in Utica, what were you doing to help NJ? Was Hellebuyck the way they were going and it unraveled? Something else? What was plan B? Just give up and have the kid you thought was an AHL goalie potentially be thrust into the #1? Thoughts and prayers that Vitek would turn into a Cup winning goalie? I don’t get it.
We weren’t the only team to go with god and potentially garbage goalies. The Kings passed on keeping Korpisalo and added Talbot (36 yo)
and Copley (31 yo AHL/NHL tweener). Everyone chuckled when the Rangers signed Quick.

Not a lot of other options. Guys like Lyons and Stolarz have done ok with ~6 GP, and likely would have been better 3rd goalie pick ups, but those are still scraps.

It was the worst UFA goalie market in recent and distant memory. The trade market was DeSmith and, uh, Blackwood. Fitz can’t squeeze blood from a stone.

Vanecek had a solid season last year and when he slumped at the end we played the other two goalies more. We had .911 goaltending, even if you assumed it would be worse that didn’t mean you would assume it would be this worse.

If they actually are making a trade for a goalie, sending Schmid down to the AHL means we could protect his waiver exempt status, which runs out after 17 more NHL games.

If Schmid plays those 17 games, and struggles through them, then there’s a danger that he’ll be a tweener that will end up on waivers again at some point if/when he struggles in the NHL again.

F161147B-8457-4FE9-9812-6A07D905F646.jpeg

BD698859-DC14-48B6-9A10-64BFA75CD6B2.jpeg

90A84E98-D789-4705-903A-7BD65DFBAFB1.jpeg
2774AD76-6A69-4DED-8DD2-8BF9FB924821.jpeg

Schmid
2873CA09-B009-4ACE-8102-E17EBFF766C3.jpeg

Blackwood
449C7063-3C2A-478C-9E25-7ED40BFD7298.jpeg
ABD57A85-55E6-4D4F-AE30-3AD43C8FCBA1.jpeg

8CEA5161-C78E-4A94-BCCB-1DFC15FCC56F.jpeg

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
When you're making an extremely simplistic point, maybe you should expect a simplistic response. Everybody knows that goalies have bad games and also that goalies can have good games where they give up 5 or more. It's very possible. The trouble is that Vitek just never has good games anymore.

My issue with that poster is this is not a game where Vitek should be getting blamed. He had a shaky 1st period and a strong 2nd period. Had the team kept their strong performance in the 3rd period, we would not be talking about a 3 goal collapse.

It's ridiculously mind boggling to me that people can blame Vitek for this. And before all you jump in, there are people who came in here and only saying Vitek sucks, and those are the people I responded to, so spare me the "we also blamed the defense".

Idk how anyone who could watch this game just think "man we need a new goalie". They completely forgot how to play in the 3rd period. Stop blaming Vitek. I think I'll just start using the convenient feature on this board instead of getting fed up with this constantly.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know that convenient feature has already been used on me, but Vitek gets blame because he's playing like a guy that lost his ability to play the game. And all the while the other guy, who hasn't been quite as bad as him, doesn't get anywhere near the length of rope Vitek gets.

And I firmly believe Vitek will not regain his ability to play the game until he's off of this team, other than maybe a couple of good games here or there.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
My issue with that poster is this is not a game where Vitek should be getting blamed. He had a shaky 1st period and a strong 2nd period. Had the team kept their strong performance in the 3rd period, we would not be talking about a 3 goal collapse.

It's ridiculously mind boggling to me that people can blame Vitek for this. And before all you jump in, there are people who came in here and only saying Vitek sucks, and those are the people I responded to, so spare me the "we also blamed the defense".

Idk how anyone who could watch this game just think "man we need a new goalie". They completely forgot how to play in the 3rd period. Stop blaming Vitek. I think I'll just start using the convenient feature on this board instead of getting fed up with this constantly.

The thing is, when the goalie has one good game over a season, it's just impossible to determine who is at fault anymore. The Devils did play a reasonably strong 3rd period, just every mistake ended up in the net. Vitek's rebound control was bad on goals 2 and 5. He did not have a good game. But, because he's been quite bad in other games, this is a game where he was merely okay (for him) - indeed, even the 'it's the defense!' people are noting how poor Vitek's rebound control was all game.

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
Honestly, I don't even think it's the "bad defense" that's the issue with this team, it's their mindset. This game really solidified that for me. They just regained the lead, goes on pk to a team with a very good pp and Nico decides to gun for offense instead of ensuring a clear out of the zone. 3rd period, up 5-2 and the team does a million risky plays. I can't remember all of them but I remember a couple risky passes in the dzone that could've been bad. The one play with Jack holding onto the puck in the dzone comes strongly to mind as well.
he wasn't ..... they had tired guys he was trying to buy time for them to change... turned into the wrong play but I think thats what he was doing.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
66 pages!! Impressive!

I am from Vancouver, but missed the game...how did Nemec look?
He looked very comfortable, even got to PK a bit and did a solid job. He got a couple passes intercepted trying to do a little too much and lost coverage on one goal, but those are things we’ll have to live with playing a rookie. We had to live with those things with Hamilton too lol.

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
I know that convenient feature has already been used on me, but Vitek gets blame because he's playing like a guy that lost his ability to play the game. And all the while the other guy, who hasn't been quite as bad as him, doesn't get anywhere near the length of rope Vitek gets.

And I firmly believe Vitek will not regain his ability to play the game until he's off of this team, other than maybe a couple of good games here or there.
What if they finally made the long overdue move of firing Dave Rogalski?

How he‘s still employed is a complete mystery to me Considering all of Ruff’s original assistants are long gone while this part of the team continues to under perform.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What if they finally made the long overdue move of firing Dave Rogalski?

How he‘s still employed is a complete mystery to me Considering all of Ruff’s original assistants are long gone while this part of the team continues to under perform.
I don't know when the last time a team fired just a goalie coach midseason. I seem to remember Jeff Reese and the Flyers parting ways midseason under some strange circumstances back when Steve Mason was playing there and back when he was actually having success. It was really weird.

The Sharks let go of Johan Hedberg when he was goalie coach at the same time they fired DeBoer midseason. Hedberg came in the door with DeBoer, so they got rid of him and Steve Spott (who has been with DeBoer everywhere as an assistant, including juniors, other than Florida and here) and they were replaced with Mike Ricci and Evgeny Nabokov and Boughner was promoted to head coach. That was after Boughner returned to San Jose to be an assistant after his two years as head coach of the Panthers. He was an assistant there the first couple of years under DeBoer. Which makes me think Brunette could end up back here, he just has to get fired by Nashville first. If Trotz really expects them to compete (he really shouldn't, but the Central is BAD) then he probably won't be there too many years.

All of Ruff's original assistants weren't fired. Only Recchi and Nas, and Nas wasn't one of Ruff's original assistants, but one of Hynes original assistants.

Chris Taylor is another original Ruff assistant. He and Rogalski. I'm pretty sure Taylor was brought in personally by Ruff, but Rogalski was brought in by Marty.

Just like it's extremely rare for an assistant coach to be let go midseason when the head coach also doesn't go, it's gotta be even more rare for a goalie coaching change midseason when there isn't a head coaching change.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Nico was not 'trying to gun for offense', he was trying to waste more time by carrying the puck more and got himself into trouble. In general, teams are far too conservative on the penalty kill when it comes to ragging the puck.

Jack held the puck in the d zone and was fine because he has a better spatial awareness than 99% of players. If he threw the puck to a Canuck there, everyone would've been all over him.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Nico was not 'trying to gun for offense', he was trying to waste more time by carrying the puck more and got himself into trouble. In general, teams are far too conservative on the penalty kill when it comes to ragging the puck.

Jack held the puck in the d zone and was fine because he has a better spatial awareness than 99% of players. If he threw the puck to a Canuck there, everyone would've been all over him.
My recollection is that Hischier tried to buy time because NJ really needed a change at that point and he was sort of left alone. Now could he have gotten the puck on his forehand and just shot it past the Canucks? Maybe. Did he have some thought that he'd be able to pass it to fresh legs with numbers to attack if he got it past the Canucks near him? Maybe.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Another person who seemingly didn't even notice the play because another misunderstanding lol. That's not the play I'm talking about.

My recollection is that Hischier tried to buy time because NJ really needed a change at that point and he was sort of left alone. Now could he have gotten the puck on his forehand and just shot it past the Canucks? Maybe. Did he have some thought that he'd be able to pass it to fresh legs with numbers to attack if he got it past the Canucks near him? Maybe.

Again, not the play I'm talking about.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Another person who seemingly didn't even notice the play because another misunderstanding lol. That's not the play I'm talking about.

I did notice this play and also saw it on the highlights. Nico thought Bratt was taking the puck and he didn't; he misread the play. This play happened in the 1st period. As it stands, Nico was already heading in the wrong direction and probably couldn't've impacted what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino