Hugh Jessiman

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
From all accounts (including our own writer who was present at camp), Hugh has had an absolutely fantastic camp and has really impressed most people who saw him play.

It seems that there is at least one thread on the guy a year, but he might be finally turning it around.

I've said it numerous times -- if he had not had the ankle injury, he'd still be a very highly regarded prospect. He lost a full year of development at a very crucial time in his young career.

He's still in camp after the first set of cuts and will likely get some pre-season time as well. He finished off last year very well and had a fairly solid year overall.

Kramy

Jul 11, 2006
Québec
What's your obsession with thinking people are bashing propects because they're Rangers property?

I think Montoya is overrated, and I don't think he has franchise goalie potential.

I think Jessiman was a brutal pick.

Marc Staal rules. Cherepanov is really great too.

It has nothing to do with the fact they are Rangers. NOTHING.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Really hope Jessiman actually turns out, always have loved the power forward type prospects...

Plus the adversity he's faced since having to deal with the injury and losing all his time -- going back and forth between the ECHL and AHL must've really sucked for a guy picked that high. You'd think it would give him a lot of motivation.

He apparently took boxing lessons this offseason. He's never been afraid of dropping the gloves, so hopefully he'll be even better at fighting this year.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
What's your obsession with thinking people are bashing propects because they're Rangers property?

Not other people. Just you, really. Every thread Montoya was brought up you bashed him until it was old. And now with this Jessiman thread you come in and simply bash him. Pretty sure that speaks for itself, bud. :teach:

Kramy

Jul 11, 2006
Québec
Not other people. Just you, really. Every thread Montoya was brought up you bashed him until it was old. And now with this Jessiman thread you come in and simply bash him. Pretty sure that speaks for itself, bud. :teach:

Then why don't you stard a thread about Staal or Cherepanov, just to see if your theory is true?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Maybe he's finally "got it" - because last season, he looked every bit like a poor man's Adam Creighton.

Lupul*

I figured you'd show up since you love to trash Rangers prospects all the time.

Instead of posting crap like that, why don't you actually say something of substance?

Everyone knows it was a bad pick including every single Rangers fan.

He only trashes 2 and now all of a sudden hes trashing them because there rangers prospects.:shakehead

Kramy

Jul 11, 2006
Québec
He only trashes 2 and now all of a sudden hes trashing them because there rangers prospects.:shakehead

Don't you understand this flawless logic? When you "bash" Montoya, it's because you hate the whole Rangers organization and want to bash them all. It's impossible that you just think Montoya is overrated or not as good as labelled. Further proofs of that can be found in this very thread, where I said Jessiman was a brutal pick.

:sarcasm:

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
While he obviously hasnt progressed as well as many people who followed the 03 draft would have hoped or even expected, it is still far too early to write him off. Keeping in mind he is only 23, big guys like him have a history of taking a long time to develop into their potential and I think we are starting to finally see what he can do.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Don't you understand this flawless logic? When you "bash" Montoya, it's because you hate the whole Rangers organization and want to bash them all. It's impossible that you just think Montoya is overrated or not as good as labelled. Further proofs of that can be found in this very thread, where I said Jessiman was a brutal pick.

:sarcasm:

Actually, my logic is in a number of threads in which you bashed Montoya and now you bash Jessiman. Clearly it's because you don't like the Rangers and probably because you don't like my posting as well.

Instead of actually engaging in conversation, you posted a stupid reply. I called you on it, so deal with it.

Lupul*

Actually, my logic is in a number of threads in which you bashed Montoya and now you bash Jessiman. Clearly it's because you don't like the Rangers and probably because you don't like my posting as well.

Instead of actually engaging in conversation, you posted a stupid reply. I called you on it, so deal with it.

Its two guys gimme a break. Your seriously paranoid if you think he doesn't like them because there Ranger prospects.

jeff88_5

May 24, 2007
I think he s going to start to bash you instead, since he doesn't seem to like you

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
All right already - take the "you hate the Rangers, no I don't" discussion elsewhere.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
Jessiman IS a terrible pick (12th overall in the stacked '03 draft? Come on. You simply cannot defend that choice, no matter how much you support your team).

I happen to like Montoya, but no goalie can be thought of as a sure thing, especially at that age along with purely AHL experience. He'll likely be a starter, but to call him a future franchise goaltender at this point in time is quite foolish IMO.

Like that other poster said, overrated.

But aside from that, I think New York has a decent future ahead of them with future NHL'ers like Dawes, Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal and Cherepanov. They all won't become stars like some seem to think, however.

Last edited by a moderator:

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna

I think Montoya is overrated, and I don't think he has franchise goalie potential.

I think Jessiman was a brutal pick.

Marc Staal rules. Cherepanov is really great too.

It has nothing to do with the fact they are Rangers. NOTHING.

Jessiman was widely regarded as a good pick at the time.

So just curious, how can you call Staal and Cherepanov great picks when they haven't even played an NHL game yet?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
So just curious, how can you call Staal and Cherepanov great picks when they haven't even played an NHL game yet?
Based on that logic, how can anyone call any player who's yet to play an NHL game a "great pick?" Surely you're not going to hold Staal, Cherepanov, E. Johnson, J. Johnson, Toews, Price, or anyone else who's been drafted but hasn't yet played an NHL game to that high of a standard?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Jessiman was widely regarded as a good pick at the time.

No it wasn't, and it's looking even worse as the years pass on.

Seabrook, PARISE (who is a STUD), Getzlaf, Burns, Richards, Perry, Eaves, Klein, Bergeron, Carle, Weber, O'Sullivan, Howard have all developed more than Jessiman at this point with guys like Parise, Getzlaf, Richards, Perry being AT THAT TIME a better pick than Jessiman.

There were a few brutal picks in the 2003 draft but Jessiman was the worst.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Based on that logic, how can anyone call any player who's yet to play an NHL game a "great pick?" Surely you're not going to hold Staal, Cherepanov, E. Johnson, J. Johnson, Toews, Price, or anyone else who's been drafted but hasn't yet played an NHL game to that high of a standard?

Well, I understand that...what I was actually trying to say was that he called Jessiman a brutal pick. In fact, he wasn't considered a brutal pick at the time.

Maybe it's semantics, but it makes more sense to say he is a bust rather than a brutal pick...especially if you're saying guys who haven't played yet are great picks. Potentially great maybe. :) Just thought that was too convenient.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
No it wasn't, and it's looking even worse as the years pass on.

Jessiman was a highly rated pick at the time. I remember that clearly. So I don't understand what you're saying.

Is this a personal opinion, or are you saying the Rangers went off the board that year and picked a player the consensus said was not too great?

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
listen guys...nobody denying it was a brutal pick....which doesnt need to be discussed because its been beaten to death....i think the point jonathan was making was that alot of people... ranger fans included...had finally started to begin to give up on him almost completely....but he then he had a strong 2nd half in hartford....and now...so far....has been building on that in training camp.....and atleast enough where its been very visible to the staff .....and local reporters are all taking notice as well.......

its something to discuss....thats all....can he? cant he? .....something to talk about for now and to see how it plays out....thats all....lets not all start arguing over the same bs

oh yea...and lets go rangers...haha:yo:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Jessiman was a highly rated pick at the time. I remember that clearly. So I don't understand what you're saying.

Is this a personal opinion, or are you saying the Rangers went off the board that year and picked a player the consensus said was not too great?

No, I remember a lot of teams were criticized for not taking Parise (who at that time was rated highly)...

Rangers went a little of the board because Jessiman was such a project at the time and still is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad