Value of: Huberdeau to Montreal (And Yandle)

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
While Florida isn't going to trade Huberdeau for scraps, he might be available as Florida looks to readjust their team and potentially cut costs (?)

Yandle is a guy Florida Panthers see as likely getting traded. He isn't very good defensively, but Montreal's interest wouldn't stem from.his defensive abilities, but rather his offensive capabilities. He's had 40, or more points a season for a decade aside from the lockout shortened season. He could also be a guy to help play harder minutes if Romanov struggles.

Is Florida looking for good analytics players ?

Huberdeau would be a highly skilled player for Montreal and would show the habs are serious about pushing forward instead of being stuck in the middle where they sort of rebuild and sort of compete.

The only cap dump Florida might have to take back is Jordan Weal so Julien doesn't play him on the pp over Huberdeau because Weal goes from healthy scratch to top unit every time.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Being a divisional trade makes it a little more interesting as Tallon and Bergevin are apparently real good friends. Now with Tallon leaving the GM role, I think the new GM may be forced into a move to re-tool the defense a bit or 5 on 5 play as Coach Q has stressed playing the right way.

I dont put a bunch of blame on Q as he shuffled the lines and tried to work to the strengths of the team which was the PP and just general offensive style of attack.

I'd want Danault + 2020 1st at minimum.
I get MON fans love him and he grew up a fan of the team but he's their best current C and would balance out our C depth with him and Barkov. MON would still have the option of Suzuki, Domi and Kotka.

If we are actually trying to save money (nobody in FLA organization has confirmed that rumor to be true), its Suzuki + 2020 1st + good D prospect.
MON would still have option of Danault, Domi and Kotka.

Domi isn't the piece we need. I was hoping MONs pick would be in around 10th spot but now they've moved on past PIT so its likely now a mid 1st in the late teens.

I'd hate to move Huberdeau as I don't think he's part of the problem but him having 3 years left at $5.9 million is worth a lot when hes been a PPG player for the last 4 combined years.
Very conflicted but getting Danault with an extension in place + having two 1sts in the mid range allows us to move up in the draft or move one of them in a package for a top 4 D.

If Yandle is part of the deal, we could retain a bit and likely only ask for a one of your 2nds in return, maybe a mid level prospect and will take back a contract/borderline capdump as well. Yandles value isn't great but if you put him with Hubderdeau, it seems like a match made in heaven for MON, they get their hometown superstar and much needed puck moving LD who both will help the PP.

Florida re-tools to fix their C depth while adding youth in having two 1sts or moving one for immediate D help.
I dont see management moving either Barkov or Ekblad, Huberdeau being the only elite piece that could be moved and bring back a big return.

Last edited:

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Being a divisional trade makes it a little more interesting as Tallon and Bergevin are apparently real good friends. Now with Tallon leaving the GM role, I think the new GM may be forced into a move to re-tool the defense a bit or 5 on 5 play as Coach Q has stressed playing the right way.

I dont put a bunch of blame on Q as he shuffled the lines and tried to work to the strengths of the team which was the PP and just general offensive style of attack.

I get MON fans love him and he grew up a fan of the team but he's their best current C and would balance out our C depth with him and Barkov. MON would still have the option of Suzuki, Domi and Kotka.

If we are actually trying to save money (nobody in FLA organization has confirmed that rumor to be true), its Suzuki + 2020 1st + good D prospect.

Domi isn't the piece we need. I was hoping MONs pick would be in around 10th spot but now they've moved on past PIT so its likely now a mid 1st in the late teens.

I'd hate to move Huberdeau as I don't think he's part of the problem but him having 3 years left at $5.9 million is worth a lot when hes been a PPG player for the last 4 combined years.
Very conflicted but getting Danault with an extension in place + having two 1sts in the mid range allows us to move up in the draft or move one of them in a package for a top 4 D.

If Yandle is part of the deal, we could retain a bit and likely only ask for a one of your 2nds in return, maybe a mid level prospect and will take back a contract/borderline capdump as well. Yandles value isn't great but if you put him with Hubderdeau, it seems like a match made in heaven for MON, they get their hometown superstar and much needed puck movind LD who both will help the PP.

Florida re-tools to fix their C depth while adding youth in having two 1sts or moving one for immediate D help.
I dont see management moving either Barkov or Ekblad, Huberdeau being the only elite piece that could be moved and bring back a big return.
I would definitely do Danault + 1st 21

or how about base of

Danault, Tatar

for

Huberdeau

with little tweak to work with the cap

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I would definitely do Danault + 1st 21

or how about base of

Danault, Tatar

for

Huberdeau

with little tweak to work with the cap

Appreciate you trying to help the loss of offense from Huberdeau by adding Tatar, nothing against him as he's clearly had a resurgence to his career but he will be looking to cash in on his next deal and FLA will likely start to sprinkle in Tippett and Denisenko over the next year or two.

And we could re-sign one of Dadonov or Hoffman if they want to come back, both who already know the system Q wants to play.

Itd have to be your 2020 1st, you guys seem to be trending up so a 2021 1st may be later than the 2020 one and would add an additional year of development wait time for prospect to make the team.

I'd look to move FLAs 2020 1st (should be 12th?) for a top 4 defenseman like Brodin and use the MON 1st to draft a D/C.
Whole deal would be based on Danault re-signing here with a handshake deal in place.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Appreciate you trying to help the loss of offense from Huberdeau by adding Tatar, nothing against him as he's clearly had a resurgence to his career but he will be looking to cash in on his next deal and FLA will likely start to sprinkle in Tippett and Denisenko over the next year or two.

And we could re-sign one of Dadonov or Hoffman if they want to come back, both who already know the system Q wants to play.

Itd have to be your 2020 1st, you guys seem to be trending up so a 2021 1st may be later than the 2020 one and would add an additional year of development wait time for prospect to make the team.

I'd look to move FLAs 2020 1st (should be 12th?) for a top 4 defenseman like Brodin and use the MON 1st to draft a D/C.
Whole deal would be based on Danault re-signing here with a handshake deal in place.
Yeah i was considering the possible lose of Hoffman and Dadonov and also the chemistry of Danault and Tatar wich would have probably help with both of them signing back. I would probably rather keep our 1st 20 if we trade Danault but wouldn’t mind the 1st 21. You probably know this in both trade proposal it favors Montreal in value but i get why you would want a Center like Danault and think Huberdeau to florida would be coming to an end soon.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
So if I’m reading it correctly:

Danault
Weal - cap dump
Ikonen - mid level prospect or possibly Mete as he’d become expendable after this deal.
1st’20
2nd’20(STL)

for

Huberdeau
Yandle

Is this what are saying the Panthers would accept?

Reactions: Bouboumaster

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yeah i was considering the possible lose of Hoffman and Dadonov and also the chemistry of Danault and Tatar wich would have probably help with both of them signing back. I would probably rather keep our 1st 20 if we trade Danault but wouldn’t mind the 1st 21. You probably know this in both trade proposal it favors Montreal in value but i get why you would want a Center like Danault and think Huberdeau to florida would be coming to an end soon.

Ya no way I would accept the 2021 1st, the 2020 1st is a risk of busting so the 2021 1st is more of a gamble.
You're getting a legit #1LW who's been one of the top point producers in the league the last 4 years, one who would likely re-sign with you in 2 years time when eligible. He goes back to Quebec to train in off season and would probably keep his house in FLA to use for vacay.

Danault is a good piece but the 2020 1st is a must along with a good prospect to get the convo started.

So if I’m reading it correctly:

Danault
Weal - cap dump
Ikonen - mid level prospect or possibly Mete as he’d become expendable after this deal.
1st’20
2nd’20(STL)

for

Huberdeau
Yandle

Is this what are saying the Panthers would accept?

No need for Ikonen.
I'd prefer some D prospects like Brook or a guy like Mete.

Hard to gauge value for Huberdeau as its rare for a guy with 3 full years to be moved when he's still in his prime. Typically guys are traded with one year left or at the deadline and then re-signed or walk in free agency.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Ya no way I would accept the 2021 1st, the 2020 1st is a risk of busting so the 20211st is more of a gamble.
You're getting a legit #1LW who's been one of the top point producers in the league the last 4 years, one who would likely re-sign with you in 2 years time when eligible. He goes back to Quebec to train in off season and would probably keep his house in FLA to use for vacay.

Danault is a good piece but the 2020 1st is a must along with a good prospect.

No need for Ikonen.
I'd prefer some D prospects like Brook and possibly Mete.

Hard to gauge value for Huberdeau as its rare for a guy with 3 full years to be moved when he's still in his prime. Typically guys are traded with one year left or at the deadline and then re-signed or walk in free agency.

If the deal was:

Danault
Weal
Mete
1st
2nd(STL)

for

Huberdeau
Yandle

I’d think I’d do that deal. Start moving the Habs in the right direction instead of figuring out which way they are trending.

Habs sign:

Domi @ 6mill/per
Evans @ 800k

Habs roster would be pretty sick and this roster would still have 2.1mill in cap space.

Huberdeau Suzuki Gallagher
Tatar Kotkaniemi Drouin
Byron Domi Armia
Lehkonen Poehling Evans

Chiarot Weber
Yandle Petry
Romanov Fleury
Kulak

Price
Primeau

Mavrik112

Aug 7, 2020
I’m not against Danault, 2020 first, Weal and a B level prospect for Huberdeau. It would sucks to lose Danault but with how Kotkaniemi and Suzuki are currently progressing he becomes less.. necessary to the team.

I don’t think we can afford Yandle’s contract after next year though. I rather pass on acquiring him.

Mavrik112

Aug 7, 2020
Thats just one Cats fan. Theres no way Danault comes close to Huberdeau in the trade market. It will have to be at bare minimum Domi + Danault + more for Huby. I would say the ask would include Suzuki.

I’m not so sure about that. I think you severely underestimate Danault’s value around the league. Suzuki+ could be a fair ask but I doubt Bergevin would go for that. You usually don’t trade 20 years old C like Suzuki unless you get a D with similar value and age.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If the deal was:

Danault
Weal
Mete
1st
2nd(STL)

for

Huberdeau
Yandle

I’d think I’d do that deal. Start moving the Habs in the right direction instead of figuring out which way they are trending.

Habs sign:

Domi @ 6mill/per
Evans @ 800k

Habs roster would be pretty sick and this roster would still have 2.1mill in cap space.

Huberdeau Suzuki Gallagher
Tatar Kotkaniemi Drouin
Byron Domi Armia
Lehkonen Poehling Evans

Chiarot Weber
Yandle Petry
Romanov Fleury
Kulak

Price
Primeau

Thats just one Cats fan. Theres no way Danault comes close to Huberdeau in the trade market. It will have to be at bare minimum Domi + Danault + more for Huby. I would say the ask would include Suzuki.

Ya it still feels short imo. As I said, its hard to gauge value for Huberdeau as we're used to one year/year and half rental prices of a 1st + decent prospect/mid level roster player.

Yandle brings the value down a bit with his age, NMC and having to protect him but he still is one of the better PPQBs in the league and healthy as a horse.

Would like some more feedback or opinions from FLA fans and others but you know Huberdeau would jump at the chance to go home.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

If Yandle is part of the deal, we could retain a bit and likely only ask for a one of your 2nds in return, maybe a mid level prospect and will take back a contract/borderline capdump as well. Yandles value isn't great but if you put him with Hubderdeau, it seems like a match made in heaven for MON, they get their hometown superstar and much needed puck moving LD who both will help the PP.

I didn't read your entire post, but Danault + 2020 1st is a very reasonable offer from the Panthers. I'd expect Huberdeau to command more in a trade.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I didn't read your entire post, but Danault + 2020 1st is a very reasonable offer from the Panthers. I'd expect Huberdeau to command more in a trade.

Ya itd be the core part of the trade, some picks and/or prospect would be needed as its a divisional trade and Huberdeau having 3 full years of control on a sweet $5.9 million dollar caphit is about as good of a valued trade chip in recent history. I get he's not a C or D but his value is at all time high.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Ya it still feels short imo. As I said, its hard to gauge value for Huberdeau as we're used to one year/year and half rental prices of a 1st + decent prospect/mid level roster player.

Yandle brings the value down a bit with his age, NMC and having to protect him but he still is one of the better PPQBs in the league and healthy as a horse.

Would like some more feedback or opinions from FLA fans and others but you know Huberdeau would jump at the chance to go home.
I feel if Florida was a big market that proposal would have been blasted by now.
It doesnt help the Panthers to flip a superstar for a two way C (with limited offensive upside, at least relatively).

I dont really see a single piece the Habs can offer the cats taht helps them immediately. Thats why unless they take multiple smaller pieces, a trade like this will never happen.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I’m not so sure about that. I think you severely underestimate Danault’s value around the league. Suzuki+ could be a fair ask but I doubt Bergevin would go for that. You usually don’t trade 20 years old C like Suzuki unless you get a D with similar value and age.
yup trading Suzuki would be a mistake esp how well hes trending. But that would be the ask imo

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
My initial thought was

Huberdeau
Yandle
Random AHLer/ECHLer contract
For
Danault (contract in place, or agreed to sign after trade)
20201st
2020 2nd (lowest so likely Chicago, or Montreal's)
2021 3rd (MTL)
Jayden Stuble, or Mattias Norlinder
Jacob Olofsson/ Victor Mete (if they need a d in return)
Jordan Weal

The only bright side is thet would save enough to sign Hoffman(my choice if I'm Florida), or Dadanov.

Then I looked at it and it starts off as 2 pieces I'm sure Florida is interested in followed by a bunch of pieces they wouldn't mind to get in a trade, but not at the cost of Huberdeau.

This is why I figured I'd just ask rather than post it. Doesn't feel like it stings a but.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I feel if Florida was a big market that proposal would have been blasted by now.
It doesnt help the Panthers to flip a superstar for a two way C (with limited offensive upside, at least relatively).

I dont really see a single piece the Habs can offer the cats taht helps them immediately. Thats why unless they take multiple smaller pieces, a trade like this will never happen.

My initial thought was

Huberdeau
Yandle
Random AHLer/ECHLer contract
For
Danault (contract in place, or agreed to sign after trade)
20201st
2020 2nd (lowest so likely Chicago, or Montreal's)
2021 3rd (MTL)
Jayden Stuble, or Mattias Norlinder
Jacob Olofsson/ Victor Mete (if they need a d in return)
Jordan Weal

The only bright side is thet would save enough to sign Hoffman(my choice if I'm Florida), or Dadanov.

Then I looked at it and it starts off as 2 pieces I'm sure Florida is interested in followed by a bunch of pieces they wouldn't mind to get in a trade, but not at the cost of Huberdeau. Don't be surprised if MON beat writers don't hint at the thought of Huberdeau coming home though when evaluating FLAs year.

This is why I figured I'd just ask rather than post it. Doesn't feel like it stings a but.

Agree with you both. Very hard to see a deal come to fruition but enjoy the armchair GMing just like the rest of us.
I'd be worried about that 2020 1st busting if it's near 20th overall and Danault is a great player but Huberdeau nearly doubles his offense.

I'm rooting for CAR because of Trocheck but hope MON can be the best Canadian team, or at least last longer than TOR. Impressed with the way you beat PIT and appreciate the way you guys play as a team.
:cheers:

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
another divisional trade . Like theres not 2 dozen other teams to deal with

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Ya itd be the core part of the trade, some picks and/or prospect would be needed as its a divisional trade and Huberdeau having 3 full years of control on a sweet $5.9 million dollar caphit is about as good of a valued trade chip in recent history. I get he's not a C or D but his value is at all time high.
I'm not even a fan of Huberdeau either, FWIW. I just can't argue against what like 3 straight years of elite production. The guy is a high end 1st line playmaker.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
Well like i say they have plenty of other teams to wrangle with and figure it out .
Last game of the year for last spot and say its florida vs montreal (it usually is division match up games at that point ) and one of those players in the trade burns their old team . One gm looks like a goof and the other looks great . More sensable both gm's just dont take the risk of the potental blow back

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The Avs would give you so much more than Danault and a mid teens 1st.

Montreal is trading Suzuki in a deal for Huberdeau. I’m guessing Suzuki + 2020 1st plus Mete. Probably throw in a 2020 2nd as well. Like 39th OA.

Mavrik112

Aug 7, 2020
The Avs would give you so much more than Danault and a mid teens 1st.

Montreal is trading Suzuki in a deal for Huberdeau. I’m guessing Suzuki + 2020 1st plus Mete. Probably throw in a 2020 2nd as well. Like 39th OA.

You should go ahead and open up the bank for Huberdeau. I don’t think there’s a realistic scenario where Suzuki is moved and a winger is coming back.

What would be Avs offer? Because I don’t feel like Florida is looking to go futures only for Huberdeau. Newhook ++? Kadri + Timmins + ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad