Huberdeau 2011 version of 2010 Jeff Skinner?

Celtic Cross

Jan 29, 2010
Hamilton, ON
obviously yet too be seen but i can see Huberdeau possibly going in the top 3. however i still think he'll go between 4-6 and has the best possibility of being next years Jeff Skinner who is putting up an incredible rookie campaign

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
I might be wrong on that but if IIRC Skinner was projected to be drafted somewhere between 20-40 (low first round or high second round pick)

Some where comparing him to Rob Schremp, because they thought that Skinner could either be a top offensive player or a complete bust.

I don't really see much similarities with the Huberdeau's situation

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I doubt he'll be in the NHL next year a la Skinner who is very well built given his height.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I might be wrong on that but if IIRC Skinner was projected to be drafted somewhere between 20-40 (low first round or high second round pick)

Some where comparing him to Rob Schremp, because they thought that Skinner could either be a top offensive player or a complete bust.

I don't really see much similarities with the Huberdeau's situation

Depends on where you look and who you talked to. Central Scouting had him #34 for whatever reason, but Bob McKenzie's rankings had him at #10, ISS had him in the top 10. Can't remember where McKeen's and Redline had them but Skinner was kindof all over the map rankings wise. Frankly CSS tends to confuse me with their rankings a lot of the time.

mohare

Dec 13, 2010
Jeff Skinner led the OHL in goals in his rookie year to move up his draft stock (he was ranked in the late 2nd round at the beginning of the 2009-2010 season) and then did the Gary Roberts offseason training program from hell, a la Stamkos year 2.

Huberdeau isn't leading the Q in scoring in any category, so no.

RoyBoyCoy

Habs and Rugby
Feb 17, 2008
Lennoxville, QC
Like I said in the "favourite prospect" thread, like Giroux in 2006 and Skinner in 2010, Huberdeau will mkae his future GM look like a genius. Insane hands, great vision, just need to beef up. He could go anywhere from 4th-24th. If he falls out of the Top 7, some team is getting lucky.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Jeff Skinner led the OHL in goals in his rookie year to move up his draft stock (he was ranked in the late 2nd round at the beginning of the 2009-2010 season) and then did the Gary Roberts offseason training program from hell, a la Stamkos year 2.

No he didn't. In his rookie year, Skinner had 27 goals, placing him 4th behind Grachev, Werek, and Spooner among rookies. Last season, Skinner ended up with 50 goals, placing him second in the league behind Bryan Cameron.

Anyway, I think why Skinner did a "Skinner" is because he was, arguably, the best pure goal scorer in the draft. The questions teams had about him were due to his size and, to an extent, his lack of top-end speed. But what made him an intriguing pick was the fact he could score goals like no one else could.

Is Huberdeau considered the best pure goal scorer in this draft? I haven't seen enough of his games to say. But if he isn't, then that's where you can begin when discussing why their situations differ. One player was arguably the very best in the entire draft at one particular thing, while the other isn't the best at any particular thing.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Stats....really....you're basing your entire argument on stats???

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
By no means would I consider Huberdeau the top goal scorer but he is very talented in all demensions of the game. In my mind he should be considered a sure thing for the 5th spot. I can not see any team taking Murphy or Hamilton infront of Huberdeau unless they desperatly need a dman. The only similarity I see between Skinner and Huberdeau is that they will both end up being top 10 picks, mind you I never saw Skinner play as a junior. Huberdeau is a very special talent but I highly doubt he will play in the NHL next season as he needs time to fill out and blossom into a complete dynamic forward.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Only saw him in the top prospects game, but that one game was against his direct competition in the draft and he looked great. Dynamic puck skills for sure. I think top 10 is guaranteed, but I doubt he disturbs the top 4.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Skinner reminds me of a young Mark Recchi.

Not big and not a great skater, but very smart positionally with great hands.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
If anyone's a Skinner in this first round, it's Portland's Ty Rattie. Knocks on skating and physical maturity, but owns incredible hockey sense and can score from just about anywhere. As was said, there isn't a Jeff Skinner every year, and as such I'd guess Rattie makes a big impact after another year of WHL play. But he's going to out-perform several players that go ahead of him.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
If anyone's a Skinner in this first round, it's Portland's Ty Rattie. Knocks on skating and physical maturity, but owns incredible hockey sense and can score from just about anywhere. As was said, there isn't a Jeff Skinner every year, and as such I'd guess Rattie makes a big impact after another year of WHL play. But he's going to out-perform several players that go ahead of him.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

I wouldn't mind seeing my team acquire a pick around 15 and maybe snatch Rattie up early. I think he might be one of the steals in the draft, assuming he goes mid-late first round.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Skinner reminds me of a young Mark Recchi.

Not big and not a great skater, but very smart positionally with great hands.
Skinner has an unorthodox skating style, but he is a great skater. His skating is very dynamic (almost Crosbyesque).. he has such a great center of balance and uses his edges as good as anyone in the NHL. I think it's what has helped him transition to the NHL so well (in addition to his pure skill and knowledge of the game). He lacks elite speed but it's obviously adequate for the NHL, but that's about the only knock I have on his skating.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010

Agreed 100%, and Huberdeau does not remind of me of Skinner one bit.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
This year's 'Skinner' might be a Russian - Khokhlachev.

Aside from the different nationalities, the similaries being both were strangely under-rated by CSS with a 2nd round ranking, where as the rest of the scouting community (for the most part) see them as a top 20 pick. And when draft day comes, the player goes in the top 10.

I think Khokhlachev could be that guy. He is in the top 20 on the OHL in scoring, despite the fact he is one of the youngest guys in the draft. He is almost a 2012 and only a few weeks older than Yakupov (who many think will be a top pick next year). He is 2nd behind Yakupov in rookie scoring, and not far back. Put the age and skill level into perspective and I think he could leap over some of his draft peers like the Oshawa trio, Puempel and perhaps even Saad. The guy is the real deal, and like with Skinner last year, I am totally confused at why CSS has him so low. Certainly he is well ahead of Namestikov IMO. And the fact he wasn't invited to the prospects game is just as perplexing (even though some scouts did lament his omission).

hfboardfanatic

May 9, 2010

And not to mention, Huberdeau gets an over abundance of ice time along with time on the PP and PK. So getting back to your question, this guy is no jeff Skinner - yet.

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
I was scouting the Midget AAA league in Quebec 2 years ago; here were my observations on Huberdeau who ended up being picked 18th overall in the Q draft. Take note that this was the 1st time I had ever seen the kid play and that he was not on anyone's radar at the time:

1) Jonathan Huberdeau, STE E, C, 5’11 140 lbs 15 yrs old: To date this is the best 15 yr old player I’ve see in the circuit. Very strong on the puck for someone his age and size, protects the puck down low amazingly and makes strong smart passes in the offensive zone. Is trusted by the coach to kill penalties and is on the starting PP unit. Slows the game down to his pace (he is not fast, but not slow either). Scored an empty netter in a tight situation at the end of the game with LSL pressing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad