OT: Hub on Causeway - Part 3

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
how many tourists though use South Station as compared to the locals, though, virtually, everyone is well aware of North Station...

South Station is the main Amtrak station for Boston with trains coming from New York, Washington and Chicago and is also the main commuter hub from the west and south. Boston's bus terminal is also located there.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
South Station is the main Amtrak station for Boston with trains coming from New York, Washington and Chicago and is also the main commuter hub from the west and south. Boston's bus terminal is also located there.
was just curious as to the #'s is all....

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It is going to make my life a ****ing nightmare. Everett traffic is a total ****ing disaster on the weekend anyway, and also in the morning and afternoon. It also sucks the rest of the time.

1] As noted, I too fret about the soul of this town.

I am not living in the Boston area at the moment. Yet, looking at all the lux housing/richie rich restaurants going up, and publications like Boston magazine celebrating it, I'm saddened.

Even living in JP -- which I loved -- I felt alienated from so much of the "new Boston." Who can afford to live on the outskirts of Boston, never mind the city itself? Something real and important, a quality that makes Bostonians Bostonians, is disappearing.

2] Love those Everett buses!

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I honestly don't know the city anymore. Look what Boylston behind Fenway Park has become and the Seaport is like visiting a new city.

The traffic is hideous and frankly not building I-95 as planned in the 70's is a major reason. Not building the Inner Belt also contributed to the mess as all the roads were designed assuming it would be built.

Interstate 695 (Massachusetts) - Wikipedia

The highway would have been called Interstate 695 and would have provided a circumferential route inside the Route 128corridor. A 1955 plan suggested this routing:

That would have been great for big rig truckers coming from Western mass and heading North towards Canada

It would have absolutely Destroyed Cambridge, and destroyed what is the biggest tech and pharmaceutical hub on the East Coast. It would have stifled the growth of MIT, and the area between MIT and Harvard would look more like the areas surrounding 93 as it goes through Somervile.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That would have been great for big rig truckers coming from Western mass and heading North towards Canada

It would have absolutely Destroyed Cambridge, and destroyed what is the biggest tech and pharmaceutical hub on the East Coast. It would have stifled the growth of MIT, and the area between MIT and Harvard would look more like the areas surrounding 93 as it goes through Somervile.

Where I live in Cambridge would not exist if it was built.

The Inner Belt

img02.jpg

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
was just curious as to the #'s is all....

I am guessing that is a misconception on your part (your location says Maine).

Growing up NORTHWEST of the city, I was always thinking North Station as well. Also for the fact that it was where the Bruins played. But, last I checked, I think it handles well over twice the amount of people on a daily basis. I'd also highly doubt it serves more tourists, unless like yourself, you are coming from Maine (low population compares to the major metros south of Boston).

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
You and me both.

Depending on where it went down Brookline, Left or Right, Maybe my house would be her, but as a very devalued piece of land within 200 feet of an highway surround by blight

We both agree that I-695 would have destroyed Cambridge and Somerville , but not building I-95 has helped cause the gridlock south of the city. There is no fix. They could have extended the Orange Line to 128 in Westwood but opposition in Hyde Park blocked it.

The number of Uber and Lyft cars out there is not helping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad