Value of: Hronek's RFA Rights

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
With lots of talk in Vancouver of the mindset shifting from re-signing Hronek to Zadorov, I am curious of the perceived value of Hronek's RFA rights.

Top pairing RHD that played with the likely Norris winner all season.

Were his stats inflated by Hughes or is he the reason Hughes won it?

I look forward to your responses.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Despite being a huge fan... he's going to get overpaid somewhere. Hope it doesn't become a Hertl in SJ situation.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If only my favorite team, filled with grade A prospects, hadn't ditched a position of weakness to bring in a mobile LHD at the deadline or else I would say Buffalo should be in on this. As it stands, they won't be.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I mean, he's 26.
I had this and the Domi thread open. I really don't know how I posted it to this one but egg on my face. Hopefully I didn't post anything in that thread that looks way off.

Reactions: ratbid

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Good right side d-men are the hardest asset to acquire; and Filip Hronek finished 9th in RHD scoring this year.

The only reason the Canucks consider trading him is b/c they're the likely frontrunners to get Chris Tanev & they have a top rhd prospect in Tom Willander. Also, it'd help in balancing the team out/keep more of the team intact.

At minimum, I'd want a 1st (as good or better than the one we gave up), OR good prospect back.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
With lots of talk in Vancouver of the mindset shifting from re-signing Hronek to Zadorov, I am curious of the perceived value of Hronek's RFA rights.

Top pairing RHD that played with the likely Norris winner all season.

Were his stats inflated by Hughes or is he the reason Hughes won it?

I look forward to your responses.
The issue would be, whoever trades for him, would have the same exact problem Detroit had, and now Vancouver finds themselves with. He can’t carry a Top 4 pairing. He’s a role player asking for $7+ million over 7-8 years.

He’s proven to be a great supporting player, under the right conditions, but if you’re going over $6 million per, a dman has to be able to carry a pairing.

Detroit found a team who either didn’t know it yet, or thought they could fix him. There probably won’t be a 3rd team willing to bite again.

So because there’s now a money issue, who’s gonna give up any value to the Canucks in a trade, knowing they’ll have to pony up? Good luck finding any interest. Not with that contract demand.

Something’s gonna have to give in Vancouver, to get a deal done. They can’t give him what he’s asking for, but because of that same ask, he’s not worth anything in a trade. That number comes down, they’ll find some interest, but then why trade him if the number comes down?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Something’s gonna have to give in Vancouver, to get a deal done. They can’t give him what he’s asking for, but because of that same ask, he’s not worth anything in a trade. That number comes down, they’ll find some interest, but then why trade him if the number comes down?
I think this is a bit hyperbolic. Absolute worst case scenario he’s a 1 year rental for some team at a $6-7M arbitration award. That’s worth something in a trade even if it’s not what Vancouver paid. More realistic, Hronek’s demands from earlier in the season come down , he signs a more reasonable contract, and avoids being the next John Klingberg.

The issue with Hronek and Vancouver isn’t necessarily whether he’s worth his ask(that will sort itself out one way or the other) but whether he’s worth keeping over players like Zadorov, Lindholm and Joshua who have had much better playoff showings.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
He never got much of an opportunity to carry a D pairing here. He played mostly with Quinn. I’m ok bringing him back but the price has to be right. He isn’t a role player.

Lawson Crouse for Hronek?

Reactions: gianni

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I think this is a bit hyperbolic. Absolute worst case scenario he’s a 1 year rental for some team at a $6-7M arbitration award. That’s worth something in a trade even if it’s not what Vancouver paid. More realistic, Hronek’s demands from earlier in the season come down , he signs a more reasonable contract, and avoids being the next John Klingberg.

The issue with Hronek and Vancouver isn’t necessarily whether he’s worth his ask(that will sort itself out one way or the other) but whether he’s worth keeping over players like Zadorov, Lindholm and Joshua who have had much better playoff showings.
The thing is, who’s gonna give anything up in a trade, even for that one year, for what he offers, vs the dollars spent? Teams will just go sign a Gostisbehere for $4 million.

For example, teams are gonna be all over Shea Theodore, even if it’s just for next year, because he can carry anyone’s second pairing 20 minutes a night. Hronek doesn’t offer that. So when your talking dollars vs what the player offers a team, teams just can’t justify giving up anything for him because of the price tag. They’d have to be pretty desperate.

At best, the market would be very thin, and when that happens, players just aren’t worth very much to other teams via trade. They know why you’re moving him.

I think reality is gonna finally set in with Hronek and his agent, and he’ll end up signing a much more reasonable contract. At least you’d hope.

It’s gonna be one of the most interesting contracts to watch unfold. I just hope the Canucks don’t give in. I think it would be a major mistake they’d have to live with for years.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
He isn't a top pair RD. He's a good compliment to Hughes. Good to see Canucks fans are seeing that. All it took was needing to put their hypothetical money where their mouth is.

Wings fans told them it would just take time.

He's a decent 2nd pair offensive defenseman. He's probably appreciated in value but with less team control. The Canucks can get their 1st back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad