Player Discussion Hronek, Zadorov, Cole, Myers — Who to keep?

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
As the title suggests, who do you wish to keep of these free agents?

Personally, I’d much rather prefer we re sign Zadorov. You can bring down the cap by giving him an extra year or two on his contract, something like $4.5M x 5. He won’t be difficult to move if you have to move him as there’s always interest in a big defenseman like him that can skate and play good defense. A 5 year contract takes him to 34 years old. I also highly doubt he simply walks because of a $500k difference to go sign with a bottom feeder who will give him a fat payday. Of all playoff teams, we’re one of the only ones who will actually be able to afford signing him.

Hronek I am just not sold on giving him a longer term contract due to his defensive defencies over the course of the last 2.5-3 months. Especially at $7M+. After his hot PPG start, he has 21 points in his last 50 games and 3 goals, 6 points in his last 25, and a -5. Id much rather trade him and recoup some assets and go after a couple of RHD in free agency (Tanev, Pesce, Roy, Walker, DeMelo) and save $2-3M.

Myers with 4 goals and 27 points has had a pretty solid year, no argument on that. Dhaliwal suggests he isn’t signing for less than $4M and I’d be cautious handing out a multi year deal for him at the age of 34 and him having mediocre to terrible defensive seasons prior. I highly doubt he takes a discount when there will probably be a team out there who will pay him $4M+. I’d much rather use that money to sign Tanev, a more reliable defenseman.

Cole you probably let walk. Plethora of LHD (especially if you re sign Zadorov). Age is catching up to him real quick and you wonder if it would be wise to use a contract slot on a guy who shouldn’t be playing 82 games. It seems like he struggles to keep up with faster teams and his skating ability is a giant question mark.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think the Canucks re-sign Hronek. There will be some posturing and negotiating, but given the price they paid to get him, his performance (especially relative to other available options) and more, I just don't think the Canucks will let him go.

I feel like Zadorov will probably be gone. His deployment and his asking price just don't jive.

I could see the Canucks being interested in retaining either or both of Myers and Cole for the right price - both have been pretty solid this year, and are respected leaders on the team. But I think a lot will depend on Hronek, and whether the Canucks can get some of their purported targets in free agency (Tanev, Dillon), and see what they have left over to play with.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I think the Canucks re-sign Hronek. There will be some posturing and negotiating, but given the price they paid to get him, his performance (especially relative to other available options) and more, I just don't think the Canucks will let him go.

I feel like Zadorov will probably be gone. His deployment and his asking price just don't jive.

I could see the Canucks being interested in retaining either or both of Myers and Cole for the right price - both have been pretty solid this year, and are respected leaders on the team. But I think a lot will depend on Hronek, and whether the Canucks can get some of their purported targets in free agency (Tanev, Dillon), and see what they have left over to play with.
The thing with Hronek is you have to get him signed by mid July. The closer he gets to arbitration, the more complicated it gets. Most RFA’s over the last 10 years that have been traded were done so by or before July 1st.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Bring back the twin towers. I like Hronek but we have some kids heading here in a couple years. I don’t see how paying him much more than 7m x 6 is a good thing. I’m concerned how his health will play out because he gets hit pretty hard some games. There has to be a line drawn. You do not want to lock in at 8 x 8 with this player.

Cole or Tanev at 3 bills and I’m good. Maybe defer to Tanny depending on what happenes with Filip. D

Reactions: theguardianII

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023

Agreed. There are a lot of decent #3 - #5 D men out there. Hronek will be the first domino to fall.

All I know is the Canucks definitely shouldn't keep Myers, not even with a paycut.
Really… you wouldn’t pay TM 3 million per?

He’s still a decent d man.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i like zadorov at like 4m for 2-3 years but i doubt he would be interested

the other three can go. hronek isn't someone i think is a good long term investment and myers and cole you can do better on the free agent market

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I have little doubt we’ll sign Hronek. Both parties seem to have found a Hughes fit and I think Hronek likes it here enough for a reasonable deal.

Zadorov is the one that could go either way. Should sign him if he isn’t asking for like 4.5m+.

Cole and Myers - thank you for your service

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Agreed. There are a lot of decent #3 - #5 D men out there. Hronek will be the first domino to fall.

Really… you wouldn’t pay TM 3 million per?

He’s still a decent d man.
I am just done with watching him. He's not bad as a bottom pairing D, but I would like to move on from him after seeing him make so many braindead mistakes over the years.

Juulsen is a perfect replacement for him anyway and he will be cheaper.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I'm not sold on Hronek but don't see them not extending him.

Zads is a no brainer but idk if they can afford him.

Myers is coming back for Coles money for sure, no matter what the fans want.

Cole maybe if he takes 1m or less.

Tanev, Dillon very likely, hopefully toffoli too. Good news is everyone involved past & present seem to love playing here.

(Really need an offseason preview thread and a Pre Playoffs thread too tbh)

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
My answer may change after the playoffs, but as of now:

Hronek: if he refuses to go lower than 8M AAV then yea you move on. Love the fit with Hughes but I feel that you can find good fits for Hughes(that are a step above Schenn types) for less than $8M.

Zadorov: I love big Z but if he wants a bigger role and wants $5M+ per, you kind of have to move on because this team simply can't afford to overpay him by that amount. He is a guy that I'd be willing to overpay for a bit because I do believe he brings such a rare element to the team, functional toughness and a true intimidator. Even as someone who likes to look at advanced stats, I do believe in team toughness.

Myers: again depends on how much of a paycut he's willing to take. If he's wants $4M+ per, see ya.

Cole: I'd bring back as cheap depth if he's willing to accept that he's no longer an every day dman and better suited for a 50-ish game season

But like VC said above, if guys like Dillon and Tanev prefer to come play here and would give the Canucks the tiebreaker over other ufa destinations, that's something you have to keep in mind as well

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
I think we’ll have a better judgement after the playoffs. I think maybe dumping Mikheyev for a pick might make sense to retain our key UFAs.

But Hronek for sure will be extended and hopefully it works for Zadorov. Myers and Cole - they’ve been serviceable but removing their PIMs would be a huge relief

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
i like zadorov at like 4m for 2-3 years but i doubt he would be interested

the other three can go. hronek isn't someone i think is a good long term investment and myers and cole you can do better on the free agent market
Term won’t be an issue for Zadorov. Big defenseman always have interest. If you can bring down the cap by giving him 5 years, I would do it. If you need to trade him in a jiffy there will 100% be takers.

Hronek I would recoup assets for. I’ve mentioned this before, but RFA’s traded before July 1st at minimum have recouped a 1st and 2nd round pick or an equivalent to that.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Honestly, with what theyre supposedly asking for - none of them.

Unless theyre willing to take discounts I would look elsewhere. Myers on a cheap discount deal might be the most attractive.

I wouldnt pay Hronek more than 6-6.5, wouldnt pay Zadorov over 4-4.5

Id look at trades or UFA

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
Coles play has dramatically worsened in the second half of the season, I dont really want him back unless it's on a cheap 1 year deal to be a 7th dman vet.

Reactions: DFAC

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
So much of this question depends on which UFAs you realistically think you can sign. The UFA crop is actually pretty solid, so I do not feel pressured at all to bend to the contract demands of Hronek, Zadorov or Myers. So how many of Walker, Roy, Tanev, Dillon, Demelo do you think we can get, and at what price? It has also been wonderful being so wrong about Juulsen. The guy has worked hard and solidified himself as a legit #6.

Not down for Zadorov anywhere near $5m. And if you can sign Dillon at a Cole-like number, then your left side is taken care of. Zad has been fun to watch this year but with Soucy here I don't see a fit given his price.

Not down for Myers at all. Sorry. One decent year doesn't erase 5 years of chaos giraffing.

I like Hronek, he's a good player, but I don't think I want him at anything over 6.75 on a term deal. I would rather shift some money to a scoring winger, and address the defence in free agency. I absolutely explore trading Hronek and pull the trigger if there's a good offer.

Cole I suppose is a maybe if nothing else works out? Solid veteran but seemed to be running out of gas later in the season.

Last edited:

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
So much of this question depends on which UFAs you realistically think you can sign. The UFA crop is actually pretty solid, so I do not feel pressured at all to bend to the contract demands of Hronek, Zadorov or Myers. So how many of Walker, Roy, Tanev, Dillon, Demelo do you think we can get, and at what price? It has also been wonderful being so wrong about Juulsen. The guy has worked hard and solidified himself as a legit #6.

Not down for Zadorov anywhere near $5m. And if you can sign Dillon at a Cole-like number, then your left side is taken care of. Zad has been fun to watch this year but with Soucy here I don't see a fit given his price.

Not down for Myers at all. Sorry. One decent year doesn't erase 5 years of chaos giraffing.

I like Hronek, he's a good player, but I don't think I want him at anything over 6.75 on a term deal. I would rather shift some money to a scoring winger, and pay less to have a reliable combo of dmen from the above UFAs. I absolutely explore trading Hronek and pull the trigger if there's a decent offer while he demands +7m.

Cole I suppose is a maybe if nothing else works out? Solid veteran but seemed to be running out of gas later in the season.

Agree with pretty much everything here.

Id look into Pesce and see what he would want - if we can somehow bring Tanev back on a semi - cheap ish deal and run with:

Hughes - Pesce
Soucy - Tanev
Wolanin - Juulsen

Alex Carrier is also another name I like that could be had for cheap. Hakanpaa too

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Move on from Cole. Ditto Myers. Age has got to be a concern for both of them and Myers is going to incur Tall Tax.

Hronek is 26, so he's definitely more palatable than the other options.

I'd like to keep Zadorov. He's brought some physical presence to the backend that we haven't seen in forever, but if he's going to price himself out, not sure it's worth.

Not sure Tanev is worth bringing back unless it's on a 1 year, maybe 2 year deal. Nostalgia aside, he's 34 and although he's been remarkably durable, he's exactly the type of guy who starts breaking down at about that age. (I also think the lack of playoffs in Calgary has helped with his durability.)

Would Phillipe Myers be worth an eyeball as a low-cost reclamation project? General impression I have is that he's low hockey IQ, but Foote et al could maybe shape him into something?

And would Brady Skjei be another potential target? He's going to command a bit more $$, I'd imagine, but he seems to have sorted it out in Carolina. No idea if Carolina would be prioritizing him or not, but they have a few defensemen as pending UFAs.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I was shocked when word leaked out that the Canucks were interested in re-signing Myers. Unless he's willing to take a severe haircut on his contract to stay in Vancouver, they'll be enough interest around the league that he'll be priced out of this market.

Hronek is in the same boat as Pettersson was last off-season. An impending RFA, who'd be a UFA in a year if he isn't signed. There's enough motivation on both sides to get a deal done before training camp,

As for Zadorov, it's a toss-up. He'll be in demand around the league, but he's also valuable to the Canucks. Frankly, if it were me, I'd overpay. But who knows how management is leaning?

The might look at Ian Cole for another year. But sooner or later somebody from Abbotsford has to step up and challenge for a spot.

Reactions: B-rock

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Agree with pretty much everything here.

Id look into Pesce and see what he would want - if we can somehow bring Tanev back on a semi - cheap ish deal and run with:

Hughes - Pesce
Soucy - Tanev
Wolanin - Juulsen

Alex Carrier is also another name I like that could be had for cheap. Hakanpaa too
Carolina fans have mentioned that Pesce foot speed has looked worse this year and very worrisome to sign him long term with his age.

I think it’s more logical to pay Hronek. I’m not too worried about that - he’ll sign below 8M regardless of the noise. Atleast we know he’s still young and he has helped created one of the best pairings in the league with Hughes

Reactions: Nick Lang

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is there a single d-man in Abbotsford who could challenge for a spot next season? In a perfect world, that would be the ideal solution.

But I'm just not getting 'NHL vibes' from the likes of McWard, Johansson, Woo or Cicek. And D-Petey, Mynio, Kudryavtsev and Wilander need a lot more seasoning.

So once again, the Canucks will likely be trolling the UFA market to fill out their blueline.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I'm in the bring back Hronek camp. I think we can get him on a reasonable deal. I agree with Burkie here. He's the different element that's allowing us and Hughes to shine. Both them and team play far better when they are together. We've been without proper RD for 5-7 years and now we're going to ditch out as soon as we figure it out and have great success? Seems like a sketch plan that could backfire big time. If not Hronek we have to find someone that can replace his IQ out there ... and no that's not Tanev imo, and definitely not Zadorov or Myers. Tanev or Roy would be good on the 2RD.

Please, please, please, no Myers ... he's had a decent year but so much garbage overall during his time here. I'm just tired of his existence on the team. We also have Juulsen who can do the job for a fraction of the cost.

Zadorov is far too expensive as a 3LD and not overly good or consistent. He hits hard but he also gets out of position doing it. He makes a fair amount of defensive errors and takes bad penalties. I'd rather have Soucy and find an appropriately priced 3LD.

Cole maybe as depth or that 3LD, but there are lots of options. I like Dillon a lot. He's always played a solid game when I watch him.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Hronek is the last guy I want. He is just ok defensively and he is frustrating to watch offensively. He never creates anything, so his only play is to shoot, which either gets blocked or misses the net, so he's not worth the top dollar he will demand. He's a RFA so he has some trade value. Maybe his point total and being a righty gets us a good young D in return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad