Value of: Hronek upcoming RFA

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Using Hughes contract is cherry picking. That was signed in 2021. This one will be signed in 2024.

It'd be like me saying Pasta shouldn't make more than Draisaitl because Drai is making 8.5

It'd be better to look at signings of D men in 2024 for comparables. Eg. if Hughes signed today and was UFA - he's getting a lot more than 7.85. He's probably getting 10 or more today.

Having said that.. no idea what I'd pay Hronek.
Draisaitl signed that in 2017 so no that’s not a valid comparison at all but I agree to some extent you’re correct

Reactions: Czechboy

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Vancouver finally got a 2nd defenseman and want to ship him out because he's earned a raise? Seems nearsighted. I think he should get roughly the same as what Hanifin gets and Vancouver should just find a way to make it work.

It's not that we want to but what his rumored demands are and how it fits under our cap. Hronek has supposedly pushed for 8M. Which Seravalli speculates he'll get. He simply isn't worth that nor could we reasonably fit it in with the OEL buyout jumping up next season.

If he settles at or around what Hanifin just signed for, then yeah, it'll be a easy deal.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
Seravalli is Allan Walsh's mouthpiece. Just because the number they bring to the negotiating table starts with an 8, doesn't mean he'll get > 8M.

All season people were saying Pettersson wouldn't sign for under 12M and he signed for 11.6M.

Reactions: HairyKneel

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Ultimately this will be a battle between the agent's desire to get the largest contract, and the player's desire to stay at a great fit.

I don't see how the Canucks management would blink, they didn't give into Horvat's demands, they played the trade card to get the Pettersson deal done.

Hronek is a reason why Hughes performed better, but I think coaching and growth weight a lot more than Hronek.

If Hronek doesn't stay, Canucks can fit Zadorov in, and it would not be the worst thing in the world to always have one of Hughes/Soucy/Zadorov on the ice for the entire game.

Unless Hronek lights it up in the playoffs, I think the Canucks would be more than willing to look for a better fit at the draft or free agency.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Seravalli reporting Hronek’s camp despite the Hanifin signing is looking for near $8M and that there are definitely teams that will pay him that contract or close to it if not Vancouver.

Canucks aren’t gonna pay him more than Hughes.

So yes, very much a player who might be shopped after the playoffs. They didn’t budge on Horvat, find it highly unlikely they budge for Hronek.
Why do you keep trying to make the comparison between Hughes and Hronek? It’s one year of RFA Vs. Five (?). That one year of RFA doesn’t mean much.

As I suspected earlier in the year when Canucks fans were running wild talking about this guy being so great, when it comes time to pay him suddenly there’s all these holes that they didn’t see before.

Last edited:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
He will get signed long term between 7 and 8mil. A few hundred thousand on either side is not going to prevent this from happening, nor is Hughes salary. We’ve needed a guy like Hronek for years, and he has been outstanding for us.

Anyone that thinks Quinn Hughes is going to give a shit about Hronek making more than him for a few years is out to lunch.

MajorWeber

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc
Using Hughes contract is cherry picking. That was signed in 2021. This one will be signed in 2024.

It'd be like me saying Pasta shouldn't make more than Draisaitl because Drai is making 8.5

It'd be better to look at signings of D men in 2024 for comparables. Eg. if Hughes signed today and was UFA - he's getting a lot more than 7.85. He's probably getting 10 or more today.

Having said that.. no idea what I'd pay Hronek.
Exactly this. You gotta look at cap hit %. Same cap hit would be around 8.4 if my math is correct.

Reactions: Czechboy

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Why do you keep trying to make the comparison between Hughes and Hronek? It’s one year of RFA Vs. Five (?). That one year of RFA doesn’t mean much.

As I suspected earlier in the year when Canucks fans were running wild talking about this guy being so great, when it comes time to pay him suddenly there’s all these holes that they didn’t see before.
Keep us in the loop.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
After the endless thread bumps and posts, bragging about acquiring Hronek, Vancouver fans are now starting to balk at paying him.

Funny how that works.

Reactions: norrisnick

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
My long-held impression is that Vancouver would be foolish to let a top-four RD go after struggling to find one for so long.

But, in a world where Miller, Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko are all on team friendly discounts—I'm beginning to wonder whether Hronek (and his agent Walsh) asking for the moon is going to rub the Canucks org the wrong way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad