Value of: Hronek upcoming RFA

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Reportedly rejected a $6.5M offer. Probably looking somewhere for around Hughes’s money but management isn’t gonna give him that.

26 y/o RFA, 50 point RHD defenseman, puck mover, eats a ton of minutes, all situations, plays with an edge. Curious what he’d fetch?

probably gets a deal done around $7M-7.5M.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Why bother moving him?

Van has so much money coming off the books this summer, I'm sure they get a deal done around 7x8.

Reactions: domaug

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Nucks have over 20 mill in space and Hronek is the main piece. The rest are secondary, or not important where they would get a raise.

Nucks should be able to keep him

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No idea why they wouldn’t pay up for him after they finally found a good pairing for Hughes.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not too sure what Hronek gets signed for. But if it’s 7 to 7.5 x 8 years it will get done by Vancouver. Can’t see them trading such an important D man.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Seravalli reporting Hronek’s camp despite the Hanifin signing is looking for near $8M and that there are definitely teams that will pay him that contract or close to it if not Vancouver.

Canucks aren’t gonna pay him more than Hughes.

So yes, very much a player who might be shopped after the playoffs. They didn’t budge on Horvat, find it highly unlikely they budge for Hronek.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Using Hughes contract is cherry picking. That was signed in 2021. This one will be signed in 2024.

It'd be like me saying Pasta shouldn't make more than Draisaitl because Drai is making 8.5

It'd be better to look at signings of D men in 2024 for comparables. Eg. if Hughes signed today and was UFA - he's getting a lot more than 7.85. He's probably getting 10 or more today.

Having said that.. no idea what I'd pay Hronek.

Reactions: MajorWeber

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
tough spot but everyone has been wanting a good player to pair with Hughes for years and it seems like it would be extremely hard to throw that away and begin the merry go round of defenseman to pair with Hughes all over again.

The options are get Tanev and kick the problem down the road for probably 3 years or pay Hronek

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Using Hughes contract is cherry picking. That was signed in 2021. This one will be signed in 2024.

It'd be like me saying Pasta shouldn't make more than Draisaitl because Drai is making 8.5

It'd be better to look at signings of D men in 2024 for comparables. Eg. if Hughes signed today and was UFA - he's getting a lot more than 7.85. He's probably getting 10 or more today.

Having said that.. no idea what I'd pay Hronek.
Lol Hughes would get 14 mil AAV as a UFA.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It’s going to be the scariest contract in the league. He’s still not proven he can carry a Top 4 pairing, and that’s scary when you start talking anything over $6 million.. That’s what your top role players top out around. Then the term?

It’s literally why Detroit traded him. For example, he will never play a game like Simon Edvinsson played tonight in Toronto.. Carrying a Top 4 pairing against Top NHL players, like he did. A rookie dman. That’s just the truth of it. We see it every time Tocchet tries to get him going, away from Hughes. His play diminishes a lot. If he hasn’t done it by now at 26, it’s probably not coming. He gets pushed around way too much, and makes a lot of bad decisions, when it’s his responsibility to carry play.

I used to think he had a chance to. Not any more.

He’s a great sidekick for Quinn but they have a lot of money tied up in Star players. They’re going to be stuck with Hronek’s contract for 7-8 years. So they better be very, very sure, and I don’t think they are.

It might be the perfect time to trade him to some team, who thinks they can get him to do it. He’s yet to in both Detroit and Vancouver, and giving him $7+ for 7-8 years? They’ve got a big decision to make. One thing’s for sure. I’d wait until after the playoffs. That’s a given. Still wouldn’t go over $6.5 for 5 years.

I think back to the game they blew SJ out, back in December I think it was. Listening to the Sharks announcers talk about Hronek. They joked about it. Saying he had the easiest job in the NHL right now. Being Quinn’s partner. Just don’t do anything stupid.

There’s lots of role players in the league who can do that for much cheaper than $7 million over 7 years. But hey, it’s their cap space.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think he gets moved. We're not giving him $8 million because he's not worth that, and it seems to be non-negotiable for him.

Try to recoup a young player in the 22-25 year old range, preferably a defenceman.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
It’s going to be the scariest contract in the league. He’s still not proven he can carry a Top 4 pairing, and that’s scary when you start talking anything over $6 million.. That’s what your top role players top out around. Then the term?

It’s literally why Detroit traded him. For example, he will never play a game like Simon Edvinsson played tonight in Toronto.. Carrying a Top 4 pairing against Top NHL players, like he did. A rookie dman. That’s just the truth of it. We see it every time Tocchet tries to get him going, away from Hughes. His play diminishes a lot. If he hasn’t done it by now at 26, it’s probably not coming. He gets pushed around way too much, and makes a lot of bad decisions, when it’s his responsibility to carry play.

I used to think he had a chance to. Not any more.

He’s a great sidekick for Quinn but they have a lot of money tied up in Star players. They’re going to be stuck with Hronek’s contract for 7-8 years. So they better be very, very sure, and I don’t think they are.

It might be the perfect time to trade him to some team, who thinks they can get him to do it. He’s yet to in both Detroit and Vancouver, and giving him $7+ for 7-8 years? They’ve got a big decision to make. One thing’s for sure. I’d wait until after the playoffs. That’s a given. Still wouldn’t go over $6.5 for 5 years.

I think back to the game they blew SJ out, back in December I think it was. Listening to the Sharks announcers talk about Hronek. They joked about it. Saying he had the easiest job in the NHL right now. Being Quinn’s partner. Just don’t do anything stupid.

There’s lots of role players in the league who can do that for much cheaper than $7 million over 7 years. But hey, it’s their cap space.
That's a horrible take. He's been our top 3 defender all year, statistically he fell off as the year went on, but he was reliable as they come and plays Tocchets system to a tee. If he gets paid 7+ that will be a deal for a top 3 Dman. If it's more, then it won't be favorable, but still important to keep him here. There is no one like that on the right side available, that's the reality. Hanifin's deal plus a bit more should be enough to seal it.

Hey, Hronek maybe grateful to this org, after 7 years he will finally taste playoffs, that's got to be one of the longer droughts out there.

Reactions: Vector

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He's in a great situation and Canucks have a great duo with him and Hughes. However he's also not nearly as good without Hughes. I hope he realizes this and both can come to an agreement around 7-7.5 per for 7-8 years. If he decides that isn't t enough then that's a contract he'd have to look for elsewhere. He's not getting 8 in Vancouver if that's his goal.

Reactions: Tempo

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Fundamental issue is first 40 games with Hughes Hronek looked like a true 1b defenseman.

Last 40 games, partially away from Hughes he's looked like a solid 3-4 RHD every team would want.

If he's a passenger he's not getting paid to drive.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
He's probably pushing for $8.5 right now with the team pushing for 7. Ultimately they will meet in the middle $7.5-7.75. He'll get a righty premium but hard to argue he should be worth significantly more than Toews and Hanifin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad