Hronek should be on the first PP unit

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
The PP has looked horrendous for a while now.

And a major reason is because they refuse to shoot the puck. Instead, they're constantly passing around looking for the perfect play.

They don't really seem to have any go-to-plays anymore.

I think we need to put Hronek on the first PP unit so that he can be the triggerman.

He has a deadly shot. We should make teeing him up for a one-timer our main go-to play on the PP.

When he's given room to shoot, the result is likely going to be one of three outcomes:

1) Goal
2) Big rebound
3) Penalty killer hurting themselves by blocking the shot

Furthermore, with the threat of Hronek's big shot, it should cause defenders to overcommit to him, freeing up more space for the other players.

Why not take Boeser, put him on PP2 and try Hronek on PP1?

Agree or disagree?

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I just want to see them trying to do something. It’s always the same personnel and formation. I don’t get why they don’t try what was working at the start of the year with more dynamic movement with players moving down from the point and shifting across in front of the net. They just stand around now and pass around the perimeter looking for the perfect shooting lane. So brutal to watch.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Lindholm
Hronek Miller Petey
Hughes

Petey can be replaced by Suter or Hoglander if he keeps no showing

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Move EP to the bumper, they need a lefty there, and he is a complete waste of space in his current spot.

At his absolute best last season, he had THREE 1 timer goals on the PP..... THREE

Drai had over TWENTY

Give the spot to any of Hronek, Lindholm or Hogs, and FFS put JT back at his QB position.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
They should try to revert to the old format first

Border at the bumper
Yeah.

They completely revamped the PP when Lindholm arrived and I don't really get it.

Like Boeser flank, Miller bumper...Huh?

Boeser shown he's an elite net front. Miller has always lived off the left flank. Put Lindholm in the bumper - that was like his designated spot in Calgary.

The biggest problem is Quinn is just playing too slow. He's overhandling the puck and doing way too many unnecessary spin-offs, which just gives the PKers time to get back in formation. He needs to recycle/move the puck quicker.

Reactions: Tact and TruKnyte

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I wouldn't mind seeing it for a bit, but they put Hronek on the PP early in the season and the movement just wasn't great. Maybe the Sedins can teach them a thing or two about the setup when Salo was around.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Hughes is just too good and playing a 2D PP isn't the greatest strategy.

They just need Miller back in his place and not making boneheaded passes and things will open up.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
2D PP doesnt matter if its a lethal shot. Boeser on the half wall isnt bringing it and his skating just makes a liability if the play is broken up.

The PP is worse than it was with Boeser in front of the net and Miller on the halfwall though.

We have been unable to successfully score one timer goals on the PP pretty consistently for like the last 10 years, I dont know what it is, its one of the most dangerous shots in the game.

Reactions: David71 and Play

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
2D PP doesnt matter if its a lethal shot. Boeser on the half wall isnt bringing it and his skating just makes a liability if the play is broken up.

The PP is worse than it was with Boeser in front of the net and Miller on the halfwall though.

We have been unable to successfully score one timer goals on the PP pretty consistently for like the last 10 years, I dont know what it is, its one of the most dangerous shots in the game.
Lekkerimaki has a great blast, but you don’t want to rush him you stated in the past when I asked

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Nah

Just put Miller back at the half wall where he belongs and Boeser at the net front with Lindholm in the bumper.

Miller/Lindholm in the bumper/net with Boeser at the half wall isn’t working. Boeser and Pettersson both make too many bad decisions at the half walls.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I agree.....I realize that Tocchet wants Hronek to anchor the second unit PP. But why not stick him out there with Quinn Hughes on PP #1?

Both guys are so smart and skilled at the offensive blueline, and nobody on the Canucks defense possesses the bomb of a shot that Hronek has. It's what the PP desperately needs--more shots at the net.

They need to score more ugly goals on the PP....in the form of a shot, a rebound and a scramble.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I just want to see them trying to do something. It’s always the same personnel and formation. I don’t get why they don’t try what was working at the start of the year with more dynamic movement with players moving down from the point and shifting across in front of the net. They just stand around now and pass around the perimeter looking for the perfect shooting lane. So brutal to watch.

tocchet said it too in his postgame: no one is moving their feet

Reactions: TruKnyte

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
take petterson off the first unit put hronek up for his one timers. defenders will have to respect his shot as well.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Hronek is missing the net a ton. I dont know...

To me the personnel is not the issue with the PP.

Wonder if EP is (again) dealing with something. Having a hip or groin injury can make your "wheelhouse" tiny and lead to passing up on shoots you normally wouldn't.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Hronek is missing the net a ton. I dont know...

To me the personnel is not the issue with the PP.

Wonder if EP is (again) dealing with something. Having a hip or groin injury can make your "wheelhouse" tiny and lead to passing up on shoots you normally wouldn't.

i think he’s just never open. same as boeser. but if you switch the nuclear option of hronek out there on occasion to draw coverage, and if everybody moves around more out there, there’s your wide open one timer.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
why did tocchet change the pp personal around. leave it. the players need to keep moving their feet and just shoot for rebounds. everyone knows the puck will differ to hughes petey miller

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
i think he’s just never open. same as boeser. but if you switch the nuclear option of hronek out there on occasion to draw coverage, and if everybody moves around more out there, there’s your wide open one timer.
I dont think a slapshot from the point is the nuclear option it used to be in the 90s.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
didnt do so well in last nights audition. he deserves a longer leash though. At least his presence forces someone to shoot the damn puck.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
His presence just leads to more overpassing and puck handling at the top of the diamond which was already a problem to begin with

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad