Hronek recalled

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If that were the case I would think Witowski would be in for whoever was about to be dealt.
Not necessarily even though Witkowski is listed under D for right now. Usually when he's in the lineup it's on the 4th line rarely does he play D with Detroit. Calling up Hronek makes more sense if it were Daley being moved more so then Jensen.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
PIT makes sense that their need for a D is most current, the sooner the better as they are in the thick of the PO hunt

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
The more I think about it, if they recalled Hronek before the game, if someone was to be traded, why didn't Witkowski play for the to-be-traded player in case he was hurt which would negate the trade?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
This seems like a good time for a deep dive into Hronek's stats.

He has played 37 games and has 16 points: Tied for 4th among our D.
But he is #2 behind only Green in points per game with 0.43. #2 behind Green in shots/game (1.59).
His TOI/g is 19:56, #5 on our team's D, but I think that number has steadily risen (latest few games was ~25:00).
10 of his 13 assists were at even strength (and 1 shorthanded). 6 of his assists were primary, 7 secondary.
Decent SH time (little over 1 min/game) but 0 SH blocked shots.
Overall last among our D in blocked shots per game.
41-6 giveaways-takeaways.
Zone starts 45.9-54.1 O-D.
Highest SAT % on team (I dunno anything about this stat).
More fancy stats I don't know anything about:
CF% rel: 4.8 (#1 among DRW D) // FF% rel: 2.4 (#3 among DRW D)

What do we conclude? To me this all looks promising but not too surprising based on what I've seen. Looks like he's basically our #1 trusted Dman at the moment, with some obvious flaws to work on but nothing too glaring. Has he massively outperformed expectations at this point? What is his new ceiling?

Lovonov

Jun 7, 2018
I wonder if Holland puts him down in GR for playoffs. May hurt his confidence if he gets sent down though, keeping him up sends a message that we trust him moving forward. I guess 25 mins a night also suggests that too...

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I wonder if Holland puts him down in GR for playoffs. May hurt his confidence if he gets sent down though, keeping him up sends a message that we trust him moving forward. I guess 25 mins a night also suggests that too...
DRW's season ends a week before GRG's. And GTG is in the PO's so most likely he will be sent to GRG at some point.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I was listening to the game last night on the ticket, and they said that Hronek was #3 in the NHL in TOI for all rookie d-men behind only Dhalin and Heiskanen. Pretty impressive considering he is on a team that doesn't just hand ice time out to the kids.

Reactions: ZDH and Henkka

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I was listening to the game last night on the ticket, and they said that Hronek was #3 in the NHL in TOI for all rookie d-men behind only Dhalin and Heiskanen. Pretty impressive considering he is on a team that doesn't just hand ice time out to the kids.
Yes but you have to remember how much Blashill played Jensen too (I don't intend this as a knock on Hroned).

Blashill is stingy with the young forwards but has his favorites when it comes to the D. I was afraid Hicketts was going to be our #1 Dman for a while there.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Yes but you have to remember how much Blashill played Jensen too (I don't intend this as a knock on Hroned).

Blashill is stingy with the young forwards but has his favorites when it comes to the D. I was afraid Hicketts was going to be our #1 Dman for a while there.

Jensen was a rare case though, while he was a "rookie" he was quite a bit older. I don't think there are many cases where the Wings give big minutes to D-men in their early 20's. Either way, its impressive and excites me moving forward.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad