How's the upcoming draft looking?

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
seems like every year is a weak draft for HFboards lol

edit: You really won't find out how weak of a draft it is till half a decade later

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
I do think next year is gonna be a great wjc for canada with guys like siemens, hamilton, strome, huberdeau, RNH, and couturier making the team

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
How could Yakupov not go 1st overall this year?

because its not his draft year and scouts are not nitpicking parts of his game yet. this time next year we will know alot more about nail his strengths/weaknesses/growth potential etc. just as SC and Larsson were in a league of their own last season yakupov will get stiff competition from Galchenyuk, Grigorenko and Murray.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I do think next year is gonna be a great wjc for canada with guys like siemens, hamilton, strome, huberdeau, RNH, and couturier making the team

Couturier is most likely going to play in the NHL next season and good chance RNH does as well.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
My impression of the draft, which admittedly hasnt intrigued me as much as the past few years, has better high end talent then say a draft like 2007 (where everyone including Patrick Kane had some kind of question mark), but honestly outside of the Top Tier it really falls quickly.

I honestly think the scouts called it right a few years ago saying it would shape up to be a pretty weak draft year... There is a lot of depth in terms of players being relatively close to each other in terms of abilties now in the 20-60 range, but there just arent a lot of guys that stand out to me as "first round talents" compared to more recent years.

I also think the fact that 1st Round picks were more easily available this season in trades is an indication that teams not drafting high arent super sold on the guys available later in the first.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Tim Murray said there are 7 or 8 great prospects in this draft and then there is a big drop off, with the number of picks the Sens have after 8 there is no reason from him to be dishonest.

This is not a fantastic year to be dead last but its a good year to be in the bottom 7.

the head scout for the oilers (stu ) said that the top tier of this draft is at least 12 players deep. There are also players forcing their way into this group so that it might end up being 16 players deep.

He also said that very little separates the top tier and the mid 2nd round. This draft may not be as elite as some but it could be very deep.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
My impression of the draft, which admittedly hasnt intrigued me as much as the past few years, has better high end talent then say a draft like 2007 (where everyone including Patrick Kane had some kind of question mark), but honestly outside of the Top Tier it really falls quickly.

I honestly think the scouts called it right a few years ago saying it would shape up to be a pretty weak draft year... There is a lot of depth in terms of players being relatively close to each other in terms of abilties now in the 20-60 range, but there just arent a lot of guys that stand out to me as "first round talents" compared to more recent years.

I also think the fact that 1st Round picks were more easily available this season in trades is an indication that teams not drafting high arent super sold on the guys available later in the first.

That could also point to how tight the NHL races are this year and teams are making that sacrifice just to upgrade their current rosters.

That can be looked at 2 ways.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
FTR, there was a lot of talk about last year's draft being weak after Taylor and Tyler and we saw how that turned out so take any predictions about this year's draft with a grain of salt. The impression i get is that it's not as top heavy as the last couple of drafts but is more balanced, who really knows anyway?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->