Howie Talks Isles

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Mineola is right next to Uniondale, sorta.....and that's as Portuguese as it gets without the Iberian Peninsula being a factor. So, in a way, Portugal is closer!

I now want to go to the Churrascaria on Jericho and Willis so badly......

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I like Howie, I understand his sentiment about how the Islanders should remain in Nassau and - despite the BC being a lot easier for me to get to - I fully agree with him.

But, it seems like the time for that has come and gone. He's entitled to his opinion and outrage but the Islanders did the best they could in a ****** situation. I understand that he's not directing his venom at the Islanders, but rather at the politicians and voters who couldn't get something done. I get it. But now we're moving on. I guess now that we are starting a new season - our last at the Coliseum - it brings it to the forefront, but the reality is is that we could be packing up and moving to KC or Quebec at the end of the season.

It was the best of a bad situation. Fans who are getting royally screwed (i.e. Suffolk fans) I can understand holding on to the outrage. But Howie? He's gotta move on, IMO.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Mineola is right next to Uniondale, sorta.....and that's as Portuguese as it gets without the Iberian Peninsula being a factor. So, in a way, Portugal is closer!

I now want to go to the Churrascaria on Jericho and Willis so badly......

Is this the spot they were talking about on Boomer and Carton?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Turkeys can fly!

Relax guys, i was only joking around.

I do understand why folk are sensitive about the move though. Isles were a big part of my youth and the thought of them going across the city boundary back in those days would have been horrible.

I just think the great geographic leaps people make are funny though. On the main board, there was a Leaf fan talking about how players like Franson would flourish in "a small market" like Brooklyn, where there wouldn't be so many people around. I find that just about as silly as the fellow above noting that Brooklyn is a "huge city" and then acting as if the semi-urban Long Island is in an entirely different world.

Turkey's in fact cannot fly. Want proof?

Last edited by a moderator:

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Geographical technicality, eh? I grow up on long island within a 30 min drive of Nassau Coliseum. I was actually sitting in the stands in 1972, when they dropped the puck for the first time. Queens and Brooklyn were also within an easy drive. There were two families who had season tickets on my same row who were from Brooklyn. My grandparents lived there and my mom grew up there.

There isn't a cultural divide or a geographic divide. Nassau is simply the suburban area proximal to the urban area. All of the Island is pure New York. The traffic and parking situation does make it seem like another world, but it's really not all that far.

The main difference between Nassau and Brooklyn back then was economic. Nassau was fairly affluent and Brooklyn still had some rougher neighborhoods. I haven't been back to Brooklyn in many years but I suspect that has changed.

When you wax philosophical about cultural divide, might help to have actually lived in the place you are professing expertise about.

And you might want to get down of that high horse a little... :p:

I live on a small island that is geographically continuous and yet manages to have a huge number of social, political, economic and even fundamentally legal divides sometimes all within a 30 min drive of each other. Come for a visit sometime!

giddy up*

The town ****ed the team.

The team is staying in NY.

Better than the Seattle Islanders. Be happy and move on. It's not the teams fault and the time for this has passed.

The Isles will be getting more money, more fans, and more exposure. Let's count our blessings considering the alternatives.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $250.00