bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
Howie talks about:

- expectations for this season
- the move to Brooklyn
- JT's Health (it's fine)
- How Cappy wants more from JT and KO
- Howie's opinion on the move (Howie is adamant against the team leaving LI but it is what it is and he blames the politicians and the system for the move)
- Mets talk (a lot about Wilmer Flores, Daniel Murphy, trade options)

herecomesdabus

Jun 11, 2002
NY
Visit site
the interview was going good until that idiot Joe Benigno cut Howie in mid sentence and started talking baseball...most of the interview was baseball..I can't stand that guy!!!!

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Howie : "do you know what Brooklyn and Portugal have in common? Neither one of them are Long Island. That's where the Islanders play. That's where the Islanders belong". Wow, not pulling any punches.. Gotta love Howie.. His emotions are great, "now they are talking about a LIRR stop at the Nassau Coliseum. Where have you turkeys been for the last 40 years" lol..

Last edited:

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Howie : "do you know what Brooklyn and Portugal have in common? Neither one of them are Long Island. That's where the Islanders play. That's where the Islanders belong". Wow, not pulling any punches.. Gotta love Howie.. His emotions are great, "now they are talking about a LIRR stop at the Nassau Coliseum. Where have you turkeys been for the last 40 years" lol..

Sounds like he also needs a geography lesson. Last time I checked, Brooklyn was on Long Island.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Great interview with Howie. I love how he is at the stage in his career where he can call it like it is. He really veered off the company line with the way he talked about the move.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Sounds like he also needs a geography lesson. Last time I checked, Brooklyn was on Long Island.

gosh, he was trying to make a point about how they belong in LI (Nassau County)

what an idiot!!!!!??? doesnt howie know that the politicians are humans, not turkeys!?!!? :sarcasm:

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida

Been to Portugal (heritage), also LI and Brooklyn. I guess I can tell the difference. I know JT can too, since he is half Portuguese. ;)

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I'm not American and I've been to New York once, but even I can grasp the difference between a geographical technicality and a cultural and political divide between a huge city and the Long Island area! :nod:

Still, life goes on...

Geographical technicality, eh? I grow up on long island within a 30 min drive of Nassau Coliseum. I was actually sitting in the stands in 1972, when they dropped the puck for the first time. Queens and Brooklyn were also within an easy drive. There were two families who had season tickets on my same row who were from Brooklyn. My grandparents lived there and my mom grew up there.

There isn't a cultural divide or a geographic divide. Nassau is simply the suburban area proximal to the urban area. All of the Island is pure New York. The traffic and parking situation does make it seem like another world, but it's really not all that far.

The main difference between Nassau and Brooklyn back then was economic. Nassau was fairly affluent and Brooklyn still had some rougher neighborhoods. I haven't been back to Brooklyn in many years but I suspect that has changed.

When you wax philosophical about cultural divide, might help to have actually lived in the place you are professing expertise about.

Last edited:

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
gosh, he was trying to make a point about how they belong in LI (Nassau County)

what an idiot!!!!!??? doesnt howie know that the politicians are humans, not turkeys!?!!? :sarcasm:

Turkeys can fly!

Relax guys, i was only joking around.

I do understand why folk are sensitive about the move though. Isles were a big part of my youth and the thought of them going across the city boundary back in those days would have been horrible.

I just think the great geographic leaps people make are funny though. On the main board, there was a Leaf fan talking about how players like Franson would flourish in "a small market" like Brooklyn, where there wouldn't be so many people around. I find that just about as silly as the fellow above noting that Brooklyn is a "huge city" and then acting as if the semi-urban Long Island is in an entirely different world.

Last edited:

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

Pretty obvious he was talking about community rather than geography. He is 100% correct on that. Of the many people from Brooklyn that I know, IMHO they generally have a strong Brooklyn pride and do not consider themselves part of "Long Island". The only local major sports teams that we have had over the last 100 years that were not named New York(or NJ) were the ones from Brooklyn. There is a strong sense of identity with Brooklyn.. We all know the geography. Howie was not being ignorant by any stretch.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Geographical technicality, eh? I grow up on long island within a 30 min drive of Nassau Coliseum. I was actually sitting in the stands in 1972, when they dropped the puck for the first time. Queens and Brooklyn were also within an easy drive. There were two families who had season tickets on my same row who were from Brooklyn. My grandparents lived there and my mom grew up there.

There isn't a cultural divide or a geographic divide. Nassau is simply the suburban area proximal to the urban area. All of the Island is pure New York. The traffic and parking situation does make it seem like another world, but it's really not all that far.

The main difference between Nassau and Brooklyn back then was economic. Nassau was fairly affluent and Brooklyn still had some rougher neighborhoods. I haven't been back to Brooklyn in many years but I suspect that has changed.

When you wax philosophical about cultural divide, might help to have actually lived in the place you are professing expertise about.

:groucho:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Multiple choice test:

Which is most similar to Long Island?

A. Brooklyn
B. Portugal
C. Venus
D. None of the above since Long Island exists in another dimension that can only be accessed through a portal located in the White Castle restaurant in Jersey City.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Portugal is actually a good one... Spain and Portugal aren't the same just because they share the Iberian Peninsula... Nassau/Suffolk and Brooklyn aren't the same just because they share Long Island.

of course... Howie said "Long Island" but we all know what he meant.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
gotta love howie on this one, striaght up just called out nassau county and how incompetent and how ****ed up the political machine in that county is. i personally will miss the coli but can't wait to get away from that cesspool of a county

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad