How your team is doing, and why

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Leafs are doing very well:

Matthews has stepped up and is even better than last year

If Anderson wasn't ECHL tier in October, the team could be leading even Tampa. I unironically believe he should be sat for most of the games in October, the guy is AWFUL, apart from that he has looked amazing in November+.

Rielly looks to have gotten better than last year

Zaitsev is about the same

Hainsey has been awesome

The not so good is that Bozak looks pretty done, he can probably play 3rd on some teams, just not here

Mitch and Willie have been VERY underwhelming, they've had OK seasons, but last year some of us thought they might push Matthews at this point, it's AINEC territory

Komarov looks very very meh

Babcock's stupidity continues with his usage of Hyman and Polak, ask yourself the following, do you think Hyman should lead ANY NHL team in ice time, EVER? Let alone one of the best teams in the league....

Babcock continues to refuse to ever play Matthews heavy, I know it's early, but there are games when he could have 3-4 minutes extra and make a big difference, but nope

Marleau has been damn good, same with Brown

Kadri looks even better this year

I think that just about covers the team, overall, I'd rate the season 8.4/10 so far.

Tifosi

Feb 6, 2006
Hawks: Pathetic
Reasons: Q, Toews, Seabrook, Kane not giving a shit, Keith regressing.

Only bright spot are goaltending and DeBrincat. 2015 is most likely the last time the Hawks will see the cup for a very long time. Need to blow it up and rebuild, oh well it was a good run..

Last edited:

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Avs are doing ok. Not great not bad and to be honest that makes me very happy considering last year. MacKinnon has been phenomenal and the younger guys are playing pretty well. Finally ending the Duchene debacle probably helped a bit too.

Knights are blowing away everyone’s expectations. There is just solid depth on the team and there was zero expectations. They could legitimately make the playoffs.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Flames are severely underperforming having pissed away over a half dozen "easy" wins to EDM (X2), Detroit, Dallas(X2), Vancouver, Minnesota with injuries, Ottawa. However its super-early in the season and I think it's going to take some tweaks for Gulutzan to get back to some common sense. When they show up with their work boots, they have been very good against strong opponents like St. Louis, Nashville, and Columbus. Their season can go either way, a slump could cause them to end up in that ugly 10th-in-west spot, some consistency could have them win the west as there's no real hole (scoring, puck moving D, goaltending... it's all there, just gotta show up). I honestly don't know what kind of team they are, when they decide to lock it down they look amazing, but then they follow that up with river hockey the next game. It's really as simple as working hard and they can get points. They seem to have let their talent level get to their head thinking they don't have to skate or battle some nights.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Canucks
Better than expected as expectations were pretty low.
Reasons:
1. Good depth on all four lines and same on defense. The additions of Vanek at forward and Pouliot on defense have helped a lot.
2. The surprising emergence of Boeser as the top goal and point scorer on the team. Other young players like Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund and Hutton have also taken another step.
3. The emergence of the Sedins and Loui Eriksson as a rejuvenated trio providing consistent scoring.
4. Coaching: Travis Green bringing in a more up tempo style that seems to suit the team more and is definitely more fun to watch. Newell Brown coming in as power play coach and taking one of the leagues worst PP and bringing it to middle of the pack.

Still too early to say whether they can hang with the playoff teams for a full year but the future definitely looks brighter.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Wings

About the same as last year. Defense corps is bottom of the league. Outside of Green, none of them have any talent whatsoever. Offense is about the same, our powerplay has been improved. Zetterberg regressed but that has been displaced by gains from Larkin and Mantha (which is encouraging).

Overall, horrible hockey to watch. The only thing i look forward to game after game is the next shift from Larkin or Mantha. Athanasiou doesn't look much different from last year. Insanely skilled, but doesn't want to play most of the time.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Rangers - Pretty good. Exactly as expected: all offense, no defense. :laugh:

DP-eEczVAAAk2DM.jpg:large

This, because AV.

Reactions: torirose1998

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Huh. Hamilton is good enough to bounce back and I suspect Brodie is too but Hamonic might just not be good anymore.

Hamonic's been better than Brodie. Could get better at board battles but he's not causing goals. Hamonic is a solid second pairing guy, he doesn't have the ceiling as the other two. Hell, Brodie's on pace for a career high in points and it's still the worst he's been in 4 years. He had 20 games to start last year where he was bad but that was easier to blame on Wideman. He fixed it last year and was one of our best players the last half of the season so who knows.

Same thing with Hamilton. He was horseshit first 20 games of last year too. By the end of the year he was absolutely fantastic. He's not as bad as last years start but he hasn't been great. Hard to know how much Giordano is covering for him though. He patches a lot of holes. Statistically that pairing is still dominant but it's nothing like last year.

But that's two guys that are supposed to be top pairing, borderline elite guys that are getting outplayed by our 3rd pairing(Kulak and Stone have been the best 3rd pairing we've had in 5 years). Professional hockey players shouldn't need 30 games each year to play to their potential.

If we had Hamilton and Brodie playing like they did at the end of last year plus our new 3rd pairing, we should be dominating teams with our defense and it's just not happening. Glen is going to lose his job if he can't get their heads right.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The Oilers struggles are well documented. Injuries, individual regression, questionable coaching desicions and the shedding of scoring depth have them where they are. With Talbot out for a few weeks, it'll probably get worse before it gets better.
That being said, they have managed to find secondary scoring more often in recent times, Pulju is looking like he's about to break out, and MCD is healthy and looking like he did last year. If they can keep afloat until Talbot and Sekera come back, there's a chance they could still make a bit of noise.
The oilers struggles this season continue to baffle me

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Wings:

Bad.

Because the team is bad. Because the roster is bad. Because Zetterberg is probably still our best player and he's like 38. Because our best defenseman is Mike Green somehow. Because of all our big, long-term contracts to mediocre players. Because those contracts are so bad no one wants them.

Because our GM thinks, actually thinks, that it's realistic to say "anything can happen if you make the playoffs." As if the team that scrapes in has a realistic shot at the Cup just like any other team.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Wings:

Bad.

Because the team is bad. Because the roster is bad. Because Zetterberg is probably still our best player and he's like 38. Because our best defenseman is Mike Green somehow. Because of all our big, long-term contracts to mediocre players. Because those contracts are so bad no one wants them.

Because our GM thinks, actually thinks, that it's realistic to say "anything can happen if you make the playoffs." As if the team that scrapes in has a realistic shot at the Cup just like any other team.
wow Oof

Idk tho they have a bit of talent. They need some serious d help though jeez

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
:wild
Pretty bad

-Losing Scandella, Haula and Pominville. Replacing them with Ennis and Foligno.. Blargh.
-Dubnyk has been inconsistent
-Parise is still out

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
wow Oof

Idk tho they have a bit of talent. They need some serious d help though jeez
We've got lots of good to great talent. The problem is we have no elite talent. Larkin's great! I think Mantha is great! I think Larkin is clearly a cut below the elite centers in the league. And as you've noted, our defense is god awful. Ericsson still has a lock on a starting spot on this roster. That's how bad it is.

LA_Viking

Jun 8, 2007
NorCal
LA is exceeding everyone's expectations because of the change from perimeter only shooting to crashing the net and a 1 man back D, for the most part.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
We've got lots of good to great talent. The problem is we have no elite talent. Larkin's great! I think Mantha is great! I think Larkin is clearly a cut below the elite centers in the league. And as you've noted, our defense is god awful. Ericsson still has a lock on a starting spot on this roster. That's how bad it is.
Yeah that's pretty bad. Jonathan Ericsson is downright terrible at this point in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad