How would you rate the coverage of your team?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
How would you rate the media coverage of your favourite NHL team, in terms of access of and reliability to relevant information? To what degree do you believe your front office influences the level of coverage?

For Ducks fans this is becoming an increasingly frustrating issue. I have no doubt that Murray and his FO are a tight lipped group but the lack of information available to fans seems embarrassingly low in comparison to other teams, even those in similar markets.

We've had very little information regarding recent contract negotiations (Ritchie for example) and finding out anything about an injured player may as well be rocket surgery. Living in Ontario and being exposed to the thorough (and often excessive) analysis of the Canadian teams, the difference couldn't be more paramount.

How does this compare with your favourite team?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Insider information didn't exist under Yzerman. Nothing leaked, which could be frustrating at times.

I mean, Joe Smith (of the Athletic) says around the draft that Kucherov likely wasn't going to be re-signed this offseason. Then Kucherov posts on twitter a few weeks later that he just signed an 8 year extension.

As to whether that will change now that Brisebois is in charge - time will tell. Some details came out about the Dotchin thing, but frankly that could have come from anybody.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hey even leafs fans don't get to know anything about player injuries.

And all our media wants to talk about this year, now that the team is good, is how expensive all the players will be down the line.

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
In terms of just team coverage, as a Devils fan living in Northern Ontario, it's nearly nonexistent.

The only time they're mentioned would be if they're playing a Canadian team and if it's televised, during the intermissions I'd say maybe 30% coverage. For example, granted I mostly watch TSN, but when there are highlights, sometimes New Jersey don't even get a 30 second window, let alone a 2-5 min segment every Canadian team gets or the >1 min a majority of American teams do.

Also I've recently got a XM radio subscription that has the NHL Channel and even they have minimal coverage of certain teams. Very minimal for a Devils fan.

And I'm not sure the front office plays a part. With Lou as the GM, being a strickler for any type of addition information or coverage versus Shero and Co. at the helm, it's not much different.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Leaf fans hardly ever get to hear or read about their team so I feel your pain.

Hope I don't need an emoji for that

However the serious part is, the Leafs don't hear about injuries or contracts either. It's just that we get a ton of speculation passed off as fact. At least over the last several years anyway. Lou did wonders for the organization.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Leaf fans hardly ever get to hear or read about their team so I feel your pain.

Hope I don't need an emoji for that

However the serious part is, the Leafs don't hear about injuries or contracts either. It's just that we get a ton of speculation passed off as fact. At least over the last several years anyway. Lou did wonders for the organization.

No, I live in Leaf region everything and anything is discussed ad nausea-um, and has always been thus!

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Terribly negative still. But the myth exists everyoen is picking them to win the cup.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
I rate it 1/10. Look, I love the Leafs. I love reading about the games, the individual plays, what to expect in the future, etc.

What I don't need to read about is "What did Matthews read while taking his pre-game poop today? How did Babcock feel about it, is there a rift between the two?"

And the media CONSTANTLY blowing nothing stories out of proportion and alienating players. Example: See Simmons, Steve. It gets tiring constantly seeing the same story beaten to death by 4 different "journalists" who all have their own different hot take.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
For local coverage, the Hurricanes do okay I guess. The main outlets in Raleigh are WRAL and the News and Observer. They cover the team I suppose like you would expect a local major league team to be covered.

Statewide though it's non-existent. No doubt the playoff drought has contributed to that but even in 2006 it was pretty poor overall. In Charlotte there was a lot of bitterness, especially from Tom Sorensen of the Charlotte Observer, that the hockey team in Raleigh would win a championship before the Panthers or Hornets. Sorensen is a Panthers beat-writer but he also occasionally covers the ACC and minor league teams. He's also a big boxing fan and was probably still upset that in 2002 he had to cancel his trip to attend the Tyson vs Lewis fight as he was sent to Raleigh to cover the Cup Finals.

Sadly there is a lot of ignorance from brain-dead idiots in this state regarding hockey.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Yes, it was more of a joke!

So you are denying that since Lou took over, that the media is reporting with the same accuracy and detail as before? Now, to be clear I am not saying they get less air time, I am saying that they don't have the information and speculate a lot more.

By all accounts no one has heard much of anything from either side with Nylander. Even Bob Mackenzie has said he is just speculating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad