WWE: How would you rank the WrestleManias shows?

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Was just thinking of this today. Thought this might be a fun little thing to put together - see what people think.

How would you rank the WrestleManias? Explanations are optional. I put the main events in for context but if you don't remember the card, I wouldn't just base it on the main event alone.

---

Mine - I didn't rank a bunch of the older ones, I've seen them all but they were at varying ages and whatnot so my memory is hazy and it wouldn't be fair to form an opinion on them.

Consider this a ranking of the modern WrestleManias (Attitude Era and on).

Ranking:
WrestleMania X-Seven - Austin/Rock
WrestleMania XIX - Lesnar/Angle
WrestleMania XXIV - Edge/Undertaker
WrestleMania 31 - Rollins/Reigns/Lesnar
WrestleMania XXVI - Michaels/Undertaker
WrestleMania XXX - Bryan/Orton/Batista
WrestleMania 22 - Cena/Triple H
WrestleMania 21 - Batista/Triple H
WrestleMania XX - Benoit/Michaels/Triple H
WrestleMania XXV - Orton/Triple H
WrestleMania 2000 - Rock/Show/Foley/Triple H
WrestleMania X8 - Jericho/Triple H
WrestleMania XXVIII - Cena/Rock
WrestleMania 29 - Cena/Rock
WrestleMania XIV - Austin/Michaels
WrestleMania 23 - Cena/Michaels
WrestleMania XV - Austin/Rock
WrestleMania XXVII - Cena/Miz

X-Seven being #1 is a no-brainer. I think XIX as #2 should also be a no-brainer as well but would be interested in hearing if people think other shows were better. I've seen a lot of people hold X8 in high regard which I simply don't agree with. I thought it was the definition of a one-match card. Putrid undercard, horrible main event, it was just Rock/Hogan IMO. XXX and XXVI are interchangable for me. Yes, I do think 31 is a top 5 WM and have it about on par with XXIV. They're very similar. On paper, they don't look like much - but watching it live and subsequent re-watched have shown they were excellent shows. WM 21/22 had awesome undercards but hurt by their main events. On the flip side, WM23 had two awesome main events with absolutely mind-numbingly terrible undercards. WM XX had a five star main event but collapsed because WWE tried to put too many people and matches on the card at once.

If I had to break it down more specifically:
Perfect: X-Seven, XIX
Excellent: XXIV, 31, XXVI, XXX
Great: 22
Good: 21, XX
Adequate: XXV, 2000
Meh: X8, XXVIII, 29, XIV
Bad: 23, XV, XVII

Not ranked:
WrestleMania I - Hogan & Mr.T/Piper & Orndorff
WrestleMania II - Hogan/Bundy
WrestleMania III - Hogan/Andre
WrestleMania IV - Savage/DiBiase
WrestleMania V - Hogan/Savage
WrestleMania VI - Hogan/Warrior
WrestleMania VII - Hogan/Slaughter
WrestleMania VIII - Hogan/Sid
WrestleMania IX - Hogan/Yokozuna
WrestleMania X - Hart/Yokozuna
WrestleMania XI - LT/Bigelow
WrestleMania XII - Michaels/Hart
WrestleMania 13 - Undertaker/Sid

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Off the top of my head, not ranking older ones (so pretty much anything before 15):

- Wrestlemania 17
- Wrestlemania 19
- Wrestlemania 24
- Wrestlemania 30
- Wrestlemania 18
- Wrestlemania 28
- Wrestlemania 31
- Wrestlemania 23
- Wrestlemania 25
- Wrestlemania 22
- Wrestlemania 20
- Wrestlemania 16/2000
- Wrestlemania 15
- Wrestlemania 27

I might have to change those rankings when I dig up my match ratings but I haven't seen some of these shows in a long ass time.

I also have a feeling Wrestlemania 31 won't hold up.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I can't put anything on the same level at 17. That thing is a masterpiece and probably the best PPV of all time in any wrestling company. That thing is just too good AND holds value today.

Wrestlemania XXX had one of those cards that really could have competed with the best of the best, but the booking was extremely questionable. I would NEVER... and I mean EVER given up the streak. There is money in that 25+ years from now if the streak was still alive. I also think Wyatt vs. Cena should have ended differently. It could have been the new era beginning of wrestling and man they dropped the ball.

Oct 18, 2011
16 and 27 are two of the worst in the modern era(i consider this about WM14 or so) 32 is shaping up similar

17, 20 and 30 are 3 of my favorites

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
31 will hold up in terms of match quality but it was a garbage build practically up and down the card. But I don't think it's a top ten Mania when you critically analyze them all and rank 'em. Between most Attitude Era ones and the importance of two of the first three Manias and 10 and 30, 31 just doesn't have that prestige and quality.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
31 will hold up in terms of match quality but it was a garbage build practically up and down the card. But I don't think it's a top ten Mania when you critically analyze them all and rank 'em. Between most Attitude Era ones and the importance of two of the first three Manias and 10 and 30, 31 just doesn't have that prestige and quality.

Not sure if I agree with holding the Attitude Era ones in high regard. The only really good one was X-Seven and that was the LAST WM of the Attitude Era.

14, 15, and 16 were all meh-to-bad.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
You're in the minority here. X-Seven is regarded as one of the greatest PPV's of all time.

I'm specifically referring to Austin's heel turn

In one fell swoop the WWF (yes, I still say F) RUINED the best (IMO) and most profitable (not debatable) character in pro wrestling HISTORY and simultaneously alienated a large cross-section of their casual fan base

Stone Cold was a great heel in 97, I get that, but the team up with McMahon is the worst possible direction they could have gone in

It NERF'd their #1 guy, it killed their top storyline, and it effectively ended the Attitude Era without drawing in any more viewers or money

I HATE X-7 with an unhealthy passion because of that main event

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not sure if I agree with holding the Attitude Era ones in high regard. The only really good one was X-Seven and that was the LAST WM of the Attitude Era.

14, 15, and 16 were all meh-to-bad.

It depends on your criteria. 14 isn't great but it included what is an iconic moment in an otherwise forgettable match. 31 doesn't really have that. 15 with Austin/Rock was still very good even if it was their worst WM main event but the other two are two of the best of all-time.

31 was basically a bunch of good wrestling matches but that's it. There was no real star power for a match. The closest they had was Rock/Rousey but it was a one-off. There was no real defining moment even with Seth Rollins' cash-in since they made it forgotten mostly anyway. It was just a solid card of matches but nothing that will be remembered.

I generally will consider shows of this type to be ranked higher if it had memorable moments that would be considered classic. 30 was one of those with Taker and Bryan. 31 isn't. And between 14, 15, 17, 19, 1, 3, 25, 10, 12, 6, and 30, I wouldn't be able to put 31 in the top 10 now let alone have it stick as time goes on. There's just no investment in virtually any of what was going on and none of the spots are anything that you'll see five years from now and viewed as iconic.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm specifically referring to Austin's heel turn

In one fell swoop the WWF (yes, I still say F) RUINED the best (IMO) and most profitable (not debatable) character in pro wrestling HISTORY and simultaneously alienated a large cross-section of their casual fan base

Stone Cold was a great heel in 97, I get that, but the team up with McMahon is the worst possible direction they could have gone in

It NERF'd their #1 guy, it killed their top storyline, and it effectively ended the Attitude Era without drawing in any more viewers or money

I HATE X-7 with an unhealthy passion because of that main event

Yeah but if you forget the finish, the build to that match was perfect. The match was very good. The card leading up to that match was pretty damn good. Austin suggested that turn and McMahon went with it since he's the top guy but they all knew eventually it was a bad decision. But the event in total is a top Mania.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I will add that my personal favorite WM moment is WM XIII's double turn (Hart/Austin)

That was such a defining moment in wrestling history that I feel nothing can recreate it, it essentially set up the future for the WWF AND WCW

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Yeah but if you forget the finish, the build to that match was perfect. The match was very good. The card leading up to that match was pretty damn good. Austin suggested that turn and McMahon went with it since he's the top guy but they all knew eventually it was a bad decision. But the event in total is a top Mania.

I will admit that I have difficulty revisiting that event objectively, lol

The thing for me is, ESPECIALLY at Wrestlemania, the finish to the main event matters, and this finish mattered than most

It changed the whole direction of the company for the worse IMO

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I will admit that I have difficulty revisiting that event objectively, lol

The thing for me is, ESPECIALLY at Wrestlemania, the finish to the main event matters, and this finish mattered than most

It changed the whole direction of the company for the worse IMO

I don't necessarily disagree with you but a lot of the rest of that show was brilliant.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
It depends on your criteria. 14 isn't great but it included what is an iconic moment in an otherwise forgettable match. 31 doesn't really have that. 15 with Austin/Rock was still very good even if it was their worst WM main event but the other two are two of the best of all-time.

31 was basically a bunch of good wrestling matches but that's it. There was no real star power for a match. The closest they had was Rock/Rousey but it was a one-off. There was no real defining moment even with Seth Rollins' cash-in since they made it forgotten mostly anyway. It was just a solid card of matches but nothing that will be remembered.

I generally will consider shows of this type to be ranked higher if it had memorable moments that would be considered classic. 30 was one of those with Taker and Bryan. 31 isn't. And between 14, 15, 17, 19, 1, 3, 25, 10, 12, 6, and 30, I wouldn't be able to put 31 in the top 10 now let alone have it stick as time goes on. There's just no investment in virtually any of what was going on and none of the spots are anything that you'll see five years from now and viewed as iconic.

I suppose I am factoring in match quality as well as "moments" but I do think that the first MitB cash in on the main event of WM is a pretty iconic moment especially when you consider how bat **** crazy the "internet generation" of wrestling fans went. Also don't agree with the first Austin/Rock encounter being an iconic moment. I think it's important in context to their other two matches but when it actually occurred in 1999, it wasn't viewed that way. It was a terrible WM with a forgettable encounter between two future legends that I think is only looked on fondly because of future context.

I didn't include pre-14 in mine so I won't comment on those but what was the big moment from 25? Taker/Michaels? I agree with that, the rest of card was just so bad and poorly paced that I can't hold that show in high regard. I dislike one match cards and this was one. Orton/Triple H should've been fantastic as it has an absolutely incredible build but it suffered from poor placement.

Also if you're going by moments, shouldn't X8 be included on your list of shows better than 31? Hogan/Rock had an incredible moment on another one match card.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I suppose I am factoring in match quality as well as "moments" but I do think that the first MitB cash in on the main event of WM is a pretty iconic moment especially when you consider how bat **** crazy the "internet generation" of wrestling fans went. Also don't agree with the first Austin/Rock encounter being an iconic moment. I think it's important in context to their other two matches but when it actually occurred in 1999, it wasn't viewed that way. It was a terrible WM with a forgettable encounter between two future legends that I think is only looked on fondly because of future context.

I didn't include pre-14 in mine so I won't comment on those but what was the big moment from 25? Taker/Michaels? I agree with that, the rest of card was just so bad and poorly paced that I can't hold that show in high regard. I dislike one match cards and this was one. Orton/Triple H should've been fantastic as it has an absolutely incredible build but it suffered from poor placement.

Also if you're going by moments, shouldn't X8 be included on your list of shows better than 31? Hogan/Rock had an incredible moment on another one match card.

Yeah, you can probably throw 18 in there but it would be borderline top 10 which is why I didn't include it since the other ones stood out more to me. I liked the MitB match in 25 as well but that might just be me.

The thing that really stands out to me is the lack of Manias in the past ten years not cracking top 10 in most people's lists. Like 30 probably will and 25 may to some but that's it really.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
This is tough for me because I haven't seen all of 20-29 and I like the count the build to the event as part of it. That's why I consider WM31 to be pretty bad and I agree with the notion that WM31 will not age well. (Though Reigns-Lesnar was a pretty great match until the cash-in)

I'll rank only the ones I have seen since 17 in their entirety:

1. 17
2. 30 - they salvaged it by doing what they did with Bryan, and also gets bonus points for the Cesaro battle royal win
3. 20 (though its complicated now, of course)
4. 24 - I was very surprised by how much I like this show when I saw it last year.
5. 18
6. 25
7. 28 - Rock-Cena I is pretty good. The 2nd match at 29 wasn't good but I never saw that whole show.
8. 31

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I'll rank them from 14-31:

1. Wrestlemania X-7
2. Wrestlemania XIX (19)
3. Wrestlemania XX (20)

4. Wrestlemania XXIV (24)
5. Wrestlemania 22
6. Wrestlemania 21
7. Wrestlemania 31
8. Wrestlemania X8
9. Wrestlemania XXX (30)
10. Wrestlemania XXVIII (28)
11. Wrestlemania XXVI (26)
12. Wrestlemania 29
13. Wrestlemania XXV (25)
14. Wrestlemania 23
15. Wrestlemania XIV (14)
16. Wrestlemania 2000
17. Wrestlemania XXVII (27)

X-7, XIX, and XX are in a class of their own. X-7 is the greatest PPV in wrestling history.

Oct 18, 2011
i like your list, 19 was a very good mania but the booker t/hhh match left a bitter taste in my mouth it made booker look soooo bad..

last year we didn't really like the WM card too much but it ended up being a good show, but in HINDSIGHT the talent roster was ALOT deeper than it is now, it's crazy how in just a year how much all these injuries have ravaged WWE

that's why i think it's imporant to heat up AJ Styles quick and get him in a marquee match, at this point his feud is going to be seen as one of the major pillars of the show

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
A lot of people seem to like WM22. I thought it was one of the worst ones I ever saw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad