How Would You Describe Each Nations Playstyle?

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I typically think of the Swedes as playing more like a machine, in that I feel like each player is given to the team more than the individual. Typically, I see Swedish players as having the same mentality on an NHL team. Of course, this is a simplification and there are outliers, but generally this is how I see the Swedes.

I see the Finns as always greater than the sum of their parts. The Finns always seem to punch above their weight.

Mirka the Turka

Jesus loves you
Oct 20, 2022
Russian - Stick handling, skating, shooting

Canada - Skating, defensive play

Sweden - positioning, defensive play, safe hockey

USA - hard work, skating, shooting

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Obviously like any stereotype it's not true across the board. That said:

Russia - Stylish, individual effort. Silky puck handling and highlight reel goals.

Canada - Sacrifice, physicality, two way play.

United States - Similar to Russia, but a bit less handsy and more physical.

Finland - Trap hockey, opportunistic offense, great defensive coaching.

Reactions: jj cale and MNRube

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Canada - Skill, speed, physicality, aggression, strong forechecking, offensive creativity. Willing to engage in physical battles along the boards and a treasure trove of elite talent and depth.

Finland - Strong focus on speed, agility, and a relentless work ethic. Excel in their defensive play, using teamwork within a structured system, sisu.

Russia - Finesse and creativity, often highly skilled stick handlers and playmakers. Prioritize puck possession, precise passing, dynamic and fast paced style of play.

USA - A combination of elements from various influences. The States typically focuses on speed, skill, and offensive creativity.

Sweden - Disciplined and structured approach, strong defensive play, positional awareness, and teamwork. A smooth, patient and methodical style.

Czech Republic - Elements of finesse and creativity with disciplined defensive play. Highly skilled players with excellent puck-handling abilities.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Sweden - Exactly like Romania, but a lot worse

8VdmwYO.png

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Canada- great
Usa- good
Russia- pretty good
Finland- literally better than sweden
Sweden- literally worse than latvia
this thread is not about who is better, its about playing styles.

If we look back 20+ years then Finland and USA was physical hard forechecking, but they are not that anymore.

Sweden - Exactly like Romania, but a lot worse

8VdmwYO.png
what magic is this ?

switzerland - very offensive and hard forechecking

• Love
Reactions: Realgud

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
I think Usa produces nowadays most skilled players=stickhandling and skating theyr prototype player is much different than lets say 20-30 years ago. For example Russia seems much weaker in comparison when comparing pure skills to American's new generation that wasnt always case. Finns and Swedes arent amazingly skilled but they are very good in all aspects in general and good team players also.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Canada thinks because they're all studs they can do these sick plays and pass like a stupid amount and people wonder why games against teams that shouldn't be close are.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
They all play the same, it's not 1970
In the 70's, a lot of Canadians hated the dump and chase game Canada played - Don Cherry always defended it. Many preferred the Soviets approach - it's hard to describe but some people likened it to a python - try and penetrate the other team's zone as a unit but, if the opportunity isn't there, pull back (recoil) and try entering again - similar to how teams play 3 on 3 in 2023.

In hindsight, dump and chase is the best approach 5 on 5.

Internationally, Canada's multi 200 foot centers (on the wings) approach is best.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
this thread is not about who is better, its about playing styles.

If we look back 20+ years then Finland and USA was physical hard forechecking, but they are not that anymore.

what magic is this ?

switzerland - very offensive and hard forechecking
Well apparently sweden's playing style is worse than latvia's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad