How winning a Cup may have affected relocation?

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
In this post, I'm going to consider the 4 relocations of the 90s. And a plausible scenario where each team wins the Cup.

Hartford Whalers: Team moved to Hartford in 1974 while in the WHA and still called the New England Whalers from their time in Boston. The team's success was limited but they were also the last to relocate in 97 to Carolina of all places. Their best chances to win were 86-87. In 86 they beat the Nords in 3 games and then lost to the Canadiens in 7. Trailing in the series 1-2 and 2-3 they ended up losing Game 7 in OT after Dave Babych tied it up 1-1 late in the 3rd. Had they won they would have faced the Rangers who the Habs beat in 5. Then it would have been the Flames, not the Oil in the Final. The Habs again beat the opposition in 5 games although a close series of games. The chances the Whalers actually win is pretty high, although you had a young team but a great goalie in Mike Luit. The Flames would likely be favoured in a Final but considering how the Habs won, the Whalers could win in a long series. In 87 the Whale won a few more games and finished 1st in the Adams division. However they lost to the Nords in 6 games in the 1st round. They started the series 2-0 but lost games 3 & 4 by considerable margin before a 5-7 loss in Game 5 and OT loss in Game 6. Montreal would beat Quebec in 7 so like in 86, the Whale would have to get by Montreal but that seemingly would have been possible. The Flyers however would have been tough, nevermind the Oil in the Final.

Relocation Impact: In reality the 86 season began a streak of 7 playoff appearances but the team missed the following 5. Winning in 86 means the team's condition that lead to relocation might not be so different. Although a winning mentality might convey stronger sponsorships and willingness from players to go there. I think the 97 date can be delayed by at least a couple seasons to 99. Being an American market means the team didn't struggle because of a drop in the dollar but the area did suffer economic recession and being a smaller market that did impact money but so did the losing. Their last two playoff appearances came with losing records but in 92 they again lost to Montreal in 7 games. More winning can be expected from an 86 title run but I'll say between 99-01 the team still moves, although perhaps to Columbus rather than Raleigh.

Quebec Nordiques: Considering the team's move with a loaded roster in 95, one might care to believe the team was doomed in Quebec City. However prior to 95 the team won the most regular season games in franchise history with 47 in 1993. That year they would lose in 6 games to the eventual champion Canadiens in 6 games in the 1st Round. They actually started the series 2-0 and would lose Games 3, 4 & 5 by a goal including two in OT. It's quite clear this was an open year for teams and had they gone past their provincial rivals, the team was primed for a realistic run. Prior to this the next obvious possibilities were the two Conference Final runs of 85 (losing to Flyers in 6) and 82 (losing to Islanders in 4). However it's clearly 93 which provided the easiest path.

Relocation Impact: Well 93 is just 2 seasons prior to their last where they lost in 6 games to the Rangers in the 1st Round. I think it highly unlikely the team moves in 95 as in real life. A Championship run with a talented group in 93 also means the Canadiens are not the latest Canadian team to win the Cup. Hard to tell how 94-95 go after a title but can't imagine it being worse. The province was asked for a bailout which was denied, but it was denied to a team that lost in the 1st Round twice in 3 years, not a team that won the title in 93 then maybe makes it to the Conference Final in 94 or 95. At worst I think the team stays for another year or two. The revenue generated in 93 would have been sufficient to warrant at least that. This means no Denver transfer and likely Minnesota or Carolina in 97. But I tend to think the team if success continued would have gotten a bailout or infusion of money from somewhere.

Minnesota North Stars: Minnesota is a case where the team didn't move due to lack of management support or necessarily poor fan support given a new franchise in the late 90s, the new owner Ziegler attempted to legitimately reinvigorate the market and the Stars made it to the Finals losing in 6 games in 91. The fan attendance although increased continued to be insufficient in the bottom line when accounting for ticket pricing and after waiting for Disney to bring in the Ducks in 92, the league allowed Ziegler to move at his own interest. As such, we cannot consider a 91 Cup run as having any bearing on the team staying, it has to come sooner. Obviously in 81 the team lost in another Cup Final, in 5 games to the Islanders, however the idea of them winning the series borders on fantasy. It has to be 84 or 85, despite Edmonton owning those years in real life. In 84 they get swept by the Oil. Game 1 is a blow-out but Game 2 is tied going into the 3rd and Gretzky ends up being the difference with a goal. Game 3 ends 8-5 but Minnesota actually lead 5-3 going into the 3rd. Edmonton scores 5 goals in under 6 minutes and it's game over. So for all intents and purposes we give Games 2 & 3 to Minnesota in a not so unrealistic scenario. Game 4 went Oiler's way 3-1 with an empty netter. Let's give Minnesota the series in 7 games and they likely win the Final against a now too old Islanders or maybe I'm being optimistic and they lose such a Final. Regardless I think if they have any shot it's 84 as the 85 series with Edmonton would have been insurmountable despite Minnesota having opportunities against Chicago they simply would have been unable to match offensively in a rematch.

Relocation Impact: An 84 win probably increases attendance the following season as oppose to what happened in reality where it decreased from 14,355 to 13,480 owing at least in part to 14 less wins in the regular season. The team got back to winning in 86 but lost in 5 games to the Blues. The big drop in attendance came during the 87-88 campaign when it was evident the team would miss the playoffs for the 2nd straight season and wound up with only 19 wins. Figures dropped below 10,000 during 88-89 which no doubt aided in the sale of the team that off-season. If the team isn't sold in 89 but a few years later, I think one of two things happens. The team stays given how the Wild came back after just 4 seasons (franchise was granted in 97 but started playing in 00) or the team simply moves to a different location, quite possibly Denver a few seasons later than in real life.

Winnipeg Jets: I think this is the biggest what if of the 4 relocated teams. Simply put we only have to look at one year in 1990. The Jets lose in 7 games to the Oilers after being up 3-1 in the series and up 3-1 midway through Game 5 and tied 3-3 late in Game 6. Beating Edmonton likely means the Jets get to the Final that year and then beating Boston isn't too much of a stretch. With the North Stars moving in 93, the regional market really opens up especially for a champion team. Jets attendance was damn well consistent throughout their tenure except for that last season. So I don't know how much of an increase there would have been but revenue generated from a Finals run would certainly have helped. The end all be all comes down to Hawerchuk in the off-season. It's often said the damage was irreparable as Hawerchuk had requested a trade earlier in the season but a Cup run would be a big deal for someone who never got out of the 2nd round. The Jets trade of Hawerchuk resulted in Phil Housley and Keith Tkachuk so they didn't get fleeced but I tend to think they'd have been better off with Hawerchuk. The team likely continues to win in the playoffs in the early 90s at least.

Relocation Impact: Given Winnipeg's isolation and the financial troubles stemming from a low Canadian dollar, it's not easy seeing the Jets remain in Winnipeg until the lock-out however where they relocate to is very much up in the air. All things staying the same with the other 3 teams, it's possible Winnipeg moves to Minnesota given geographic proximity or Columbus in the late 90s or early 00s. At least that's the way I see it. However continued success and a hardcore fanbase could have kept the franchise going as Ottawa and Edmonton weren't doing so great themselves and survived.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Got to think Quebec stays where they are if they win the Cup in 1995. Hard to say about the other teams but at least Minnesota and Winnipeg got their teams back.

Reactions: LateSleeper

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The thing is, outside of Quebec, none of them were even close to winning the Cup at the time of their move. I know people automatically think having a championship banner means you would stay, and they even mention this once in an NFL Network program in talking about the Cleveland Browns relocating and had they had a "couple of banners" hanging from the rafters in the 1980s that they wouldn't have left in 1995. To that I say, Brooklyn Dodgers anyone? World Series champs in 1955, World Series appearance in 1956, above .500 record in 1957...........and then in Los Angeles in 1958. Crazy to think, but it happened.

So other than Quebec, I don't even think a Cup saves them. You need a base that will be around for longer than the time a Cup win lasts. The three other teams didn't have that base to even win one, let alone be good after that.

So I'll just stick to Quebec. If they win in 1995, or at least have a long run do they stay? I think yes. The reason being, this was a team on the rise. While they probably don't get Roy in a trade if they are in Quebec they still probably have enough players to win at least once and then remain contenders for a long time (Sakic, Forsberg, Nolan perhaps, Kamensky, etc.).

I think the reason the Oilers hung around was because they are the city of champions. There is just something about a franchise with SO much hockey history drenched in their city to see them move. Probably the same for the Islanders. If they were the Winnipeg Oilers, they'd have been gone by now because there isn't that image of Wayne Gretzky hoisting multiple Cups and a host of great memories.

Reactions: rfournier103

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I really don't get why Minnesota North Stars attendance was that low at that time period. Or any period. Between 1979 and 1992 they made the playoffs 11 of 13 years. They were not a juggernaut by any means but not a laughingstock either. They had some moments (1984, 1991, 1980 vs Montreal) They are a hockey crazy state. They've been that way since they got a team back. But what was stopping them from going all in on the North Stars?

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
why do you assume the whalers would of beaten the Rangers in 86 ? In the playoffs it is about match ups not what transpired in the habs/rangers 86 series. just because the habs beat the Rangers in 5 games does not mean the Whalers would of beaten the Rangers in a series

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
and you forgot to mention the 95 devils, if the devils did not win that cup they were Nashville bound, winning that cup kept them in new jersey

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
and you forgot to mention the 95 devils, if the devils did not win that cup they were Nashville bound, winning that cup kept them in new jersey

They were never moving to Nashville. It was a ploy by McMullen to get better terms on the Devils lease. McMullen was a jersey guy he wasn't moving them

Heck I think at the end of the negotiations with NJSEA Nashville still had the best offer on the table. But the Devils stayed put

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Quebec: Would have been interesting to see what would have happened had the Nords won the cup in 1995. I think they would have stayed with the promise of a new building in the near future. There's no way the NHL allows a Stanley Cup winning team to be relocated that summer. In this universe, the Videotron Centre gets built much earlier (around 2000) and the Nordiques remain in Quebec. The bad news is the Nordiques wouldn't have the same success as the Avalanche, as playing in Le Colisee in the late 90's would probably force them to trade or lose their highest paying players in free agency (Sakic, Forsberg) due to the poor CDN dollar. Denver likely gets an expansion team when the Pepsi Center opens in 1999.

Minnesota: Had the North Stars won in 1991, they wouldn't have moved in 1993. I think if it came down to it, the NHL may have forced the North Stars to move to the Target Center rather than have Norm Green move the team to Dallas. As for the city of Dallas, they likely get an expansion team in 1998 with the new arena opening a few years later in 2001.

Winnipeg: Assuming they win in 1990, unless if a new building is in the works by the time 1995-96 rolls around, I think they still relocate. Salaries in the NHL changed quite a bit between 1990 and 1995, as I don't think even with a Stanley Cup championship in 1990 keeps the Jets in Winnipeg until the MTS Centre opens in 2004. I think they relocate to Denver, Dallas (Tom Hicks bought the Stars in 1996 so he was looking for a team), or Houston.

Hartford: Sort of like Winnipeg, if Hartford wins in 1986, they likely still move in 1997. Karmanos wasn't happy with the little corporate support the team had and the lacklustre attendance the Whalers had in the mid-90's, and I don't see that changing much with one Stanley Cup win a decade earlier. Unless if the State of Connecticut caved into Karmanos demands because they won the cup 10 years earlier, the team is gone and moves to North Carolina. I don't think the NHL puts up much of a fight with Karmanos either.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Curious to see what a Nords/Devils finals would've looked like in 1995. I think they would've given us more trouble than Detroit but with the juggernaut that they became in the playoffs and Fiset or Thibault in the nets for QUE I don't see us losing

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I personally don't think any of these clubs had a snowball's chance in hades of actually winning the Cup, even if the somewhat plausible series wins the OP outlines had happened...

...with the possible exception of Quebec in 1993 and 1995. Those are at least conceivable.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
They were never moving to Nashville. It was a ploy by McMullen to get better terms on the Devils lease. McMullen was a jersey guy he wasn't moving them

Heck I think at the end of the negotiations with NJSEA Nashville still had the best offer on the table. But the Devils stayed put

You can never say never, Bud Adams moved the Houston Oilers to Nashville.

But I'm glad things worked out for Devs fans and Nashville still got a team in the end .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad