How will the Canes do this season?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Utterly hysterical to me that only Luke had the guts enough to pick his team out of the playoffs. Even the delusional Devils writer has them fourth. Anything can happen, and we're in no position to rag on anyone, but these writers are a bit nuts.

He's probably the only one of those guys who isn't a beat writer that travels with the team so I don't want to give him to much credit for international fortitude. But it's not like his view isn't already well known to everyone who reads his stuff.

The worst part about those previews is the only guy that picks the Canes to make it is Rossi and he doesn't know ****.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I've yet to see any writers pick us to finish above 7th in the division (except for Luke putting us at 6th), let alone make the playoffs, but I don't blame them. Nobody without a particular attachment to this team remembers what they did in the first half of last season. They just saw us land 13th in the conference and, in the absence of any big moves, assume the results will be similar this year. Luke is so down on this team that I'm not surprised he didn't pick us either.

Personally, I think we'll be a bubble team, but the predictions do make for some good bulletin board fodder. So will the league-wide power rankings when they come out and slot us somewhere in the mid-to-low 20's.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Steve Levy picked the Canes to go to the Eastern Conference Finals. True story.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
out of the playoffs. Being in this new division with Pens, Caps and Rangers likely top 3, I see the Hurricanes at best a bubble team. Ward plays badly or one top injury and the team will fall apart.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
A lot of decent moves on paper. A strong "budget" offseason if you don't count the Semin extension as part of this offseason. The only real problem in my estimation is the bottom six and the lack of actual bottom six players. Where are the fast, big, gritty, forwards that actually have hands and want to hit in this organization? Usually teams have those kind of guys available at a moments notice. We just have a bunch of finesse guys who were primary offensive options in the AHL and are less adept at the NHL level and have learned to make due by playing defensively. No "traditional" bottom six guys by natural designation. We've talked about rebuilding that part of the lineup for YEARS. Ever since Kevyn Adams, Craig Adams, and Larose broke up. We just can't get it right.

I don't like that scrap heap surrounds Jordan Staal on our second line. Nathan Gerbe, salvaged from a buyout, starting on our second line is concerning. Patrick Dwyer belongs nowhere near a Top 6 in the NHL and likely wouldn't be a first liner in the AHL truthfully. Those are real concerns.

Boychuk and Dalpe are gone. Our hopes for secondary scoring walked out with them, even if those hopes were slim.

Jeff Skinner is going to play with mostly used up Dvorak and a huge question mark in Riley Nash.

The fourth line is comprised of failed scoring prospect Drayson Bowman, pugilist sans hockey stick Kevin Westgarth, and the biggest question mark on the roster in Elias Lindholm. I could easily see him sliding up and working with Skinner if he looks even adequate in the early going. I could easily see him going back to Sweden too if he looks out of place.

Do the Hurricanes give Malhotra a shot if he looks good in Charlotte? Della Rovere? Who knows. They'd both probably be an upgrade on the 4th line.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I agree Vagrant..and a lot of "Ifs" come into play. If (and I'm not holding my breath) Ruutu was healthy and Lindholm shows he belongs and if Malhotra can show he can still play, I think there is the making of a decent line-up, even if it doesn't fit the mold of a traditional top 6 / bottom 6.

Something like this (or mix and match accordingly):

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Gerbe-Staal-Ruutu
Skinner-Nash-Lindholm
Dvorak-Malhotra-Dwyer
Bowman

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
I agree Vagrant..and a lot of "Ifs" come into play. If (and I'm not holding my breath) Ruutu was healthy and Lindholm shows he belongs and if Malhotra can show he can still play, I think there is the making of a decent line-up, even if it doesn't fit the mold of a traditional top 6 / bottom 6.

Something like this (or mix and match accordingly):

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Gerbe-Staal-Ruutu
Skinner-Nash-Lindholm
Dvorak-Malhotra-Dwyer
Bowman

I'd be okay with this lineup esp if Nash and Gerbe can play really well.

I just don't think Malhotra will have the vision to play in the league again. it's unfortunate.

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
I think every team in our conference is a playoff bubble team, except for the Blue Jackets. All the teams have strong building blocks, plus some issues.

It reminds me of the NFC East in the NFL (during the good years...not this year).

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think every team in our conference is a playoff bubble team, except for the Blue Jackets. All the teams have strong building blocks, plus some issues.

It reminds me of the NFC East in the NFL (during the good years...not this year).

Just curious, why do you think the Blue Jackets, who were a bubble team in the west last year and had a better record than Carolina, NJ, and Philly and the same record as NYI aren't a bubble team this year?

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
Just curious, why do you think the Blue Jackets, who were a bubble team in the west last year and had a better record than Carolina, NJ, and Philly and the same record as NYI aren't a bubble team this year?

Because last year they were the Columbus Bobrovsky Jackets. He masked their overall awfulness. And he's unlikely to repeat as a Vezina winner, just because it's hard to sustain numbers like that. And even with that performance, they were so bad that they were, as you said, a mere "bubble team."

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Last year, they were a bubble team. This year, they've added Gaborik and Horton, plus some experience to their underrated young defense.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Because last year they were the Columbus Bobrovsky Jackets. He masked their overall awfulness. And he's unlikely to repeat as a Vezina winner, just because it's hard to sustain numbers like that. And even with that performance, they were so bad that they were, as you said, a mere "bubble team."

Ok, I see your reasoning. Not sure I fully agree with it, but I understand why you are saying that, and I hope you are right.

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
Last year, they were a bubble team. This year, they've added Gaborik and Horton, plus some experience to their underrated young defense.

Well, their being a bubble team would help my main point, but if you look up their Corsi/Fenwick percentages from last year it's quite the **** show. Gaborik and Horton will help, but not enough (outside of the power play).

For comparison's sake, Parise and Suter couldn't get the Wild into the playoffs by themselves, and they're a much more desirable pair of skaters.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Horton is out until December at the earliest. And what veteran D did they add? Their D looks the same besides Ryan Murray. They actually lost a veteran defender in Aucoin, who is terrible, but if you're valuing veteran leadership then that should factor in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad