Speculation: How well will the Sharks do this season?

Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Jul 5, 2007
San Jose, CA
I think it will be a crazy season where you will see some teams get hot right at the right time bump teams that would normally make the playoffs this year out. I think the Sharks make the playoffs but don't think they win the division.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
A lot of people think the Sharks won't even make the playoffs, I have no idea. If the top six doesn't stay healthy then the sharks are boned. I'm excited to potentially see a different backup goalie this year.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
tumblr_m50d3j3SmL1qbfidro1_500.gif

Miss the playoffs so we can get those early sweet delicious draft picks.

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
I think you mean "so some other team can get those early sweet delicious draft picks after DW trades them for a rental"
...... which begs the question: Is the trading deadline the same as the beginning of the season this year? Or conversely, is it the last week of the season and if so, what is the cost of a rental this year?

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I actually think the Sharks are going to miss the playoffs. In the past they haven't started very well and this year, you start really slow and kiss your playoff chances goodbye. Also considering how old this team is, maybe it's for the best.

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
On the morning that TSN was discussing the end of the lockout, Bob McKenzie seemed to think that it would be some time in the 1st week of April.
Will be intersting cap-ology. I don't know the exact math here, but assume last year a deadline day deal required the team to have cap space for 28% of the remaining players salary over about 22 games. Under this abbreviated season, a team would only pay for 12-13 games for a rental. That makes it pretty easy to load up at the deadline for a team with cap space but the UFA's more valuable because of the smaller price ...... :dunno:

Screw it. I'm not going to think that hard. I'm still mad and hate hockey, I loathe myself for not being stronger and scouring over the news like it was free prime rib, and I blame Kitton Mittens for all transgressions as directed in another post.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
The sharks are a team on the decline. The shortened season will depend on injuries, and keeping out of any prolonged losing streaks and luck. I think we're anywhere from 10th to 5th overall given these factors.

I'll add that we need 1 or 2 2nd/3rd line depth scorers.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
It's been a while since my expectations were this low and we still have another year on the big name contracts ... sigh

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The best record in the league. Why? Because a veteran, unchanging squad (if injuries are minimized) has a clear competitive advantage in a shortened season. Older stars like Thornton, Marleau and Boyle don't get too run down, yet have the experience, discipline and work ethic to perform immediately without a learning curve.

The President's trophy and berth in the Stanley Cup Finals awais the Sharks with only L.A. and Vancouver as true conference rivals this season I expect (Detroit without Lidstrom, Nashville blown up, Edmonton too young).

It's the Year of the Shark.:) Thank you lockout.

PRT2009.jpg

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Sharks' season will depend entirely on the health of Martin Havlat. If he stays healthy, they will be a top team in the conference. If not, they will be inconsistent and they will be on the border of making or missing the playoffs. This team hasn't changed much in the past year and the team was good when he was in and bad when he was out.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I hope the new faces behind the bench will have a positive influence on the team.

No more pansy soft turtle sharks like last year.

Yes please. Unfortunately they have had no time with the players this offseason to actually have worked on that. So who knows.

NWShark*

Always amazes me how some of you come to these conclusions... :shakehead

If the sharks PK even sniffs upper 3rd of the league they are the division winner with a top 5 record in the league. They have a dominant power play that should only get better with new coaches and Burns in his second year here along with hopefully a healthy Havlat and resurgent Demers. The 2nd power play unit will be as good as many teams first. The Kings will be their stiffest competition for the division but they just got healthy and hot at the right time last year. They aren't a better team except in goal. I also believe Stuart will have a great effect on how all the D-men are used as well. 10 games in the sharks blue line will one of the best and deepest in hockey.

If they get hit by as many injuries as last year they will be a 7 seed again.

BTW... I truly hope this is the year that Detroit finally sucks...

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
Always amazes me how some of you come to these conclusions... :shakehead

If the sharks PK even sniffs upper 3rd of the league they are the division winner with a top 5 record in the league. They have a dominant power play that should only get better with new coaches and Burns in his second year here along with hopefully a healthy Havlat and resurgent Demers. The 2nd power play unit will be as good as many teams first. The Kings will be their stiffest competition for the division but they just got healthy and hot at the right time last year. They aren't a better team except in goal. I also believe Stuart will have a great effect on how all the D-men are used as well. 10 games in the sharks blue line will one of the best and deepest in hockey.

If they get hit by as many injuries as last year they will be a 7 seed again.

I agree with this. Pinkfloyd is right about Havlat. If we lose him for a majority of the season we will be in danger of missing the playoffs. This team has the ability to be a top 3 team in the conference and cup favorite if the chips fall in the right place.

NWShark*

I agree with this. Pinkfloyd is right about Havlat. If we lose him for a majority of the season we will be in danger of missing the playoffs. This team has the ability to be a top 3 team in the conference and cup favorite if the chips fall in the right place.

Yes I agree with Pinkfloyd about Havlat as well. I do think they are in better position to carry on without him this year over last with Wingles and TJ taking on bigger roles with the team. I think TJ is going to surprise a lot of people if he show up in the right mind set.

Thinking about I think this may end up being their best chance. Stacked D, mostly healthy, easy travel over a short season... If they stay healthy and fix the PK a little this will be their best shot at a cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad