How Well Have the Vancouver Canucks Drafted Since 2000?

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Last edited:

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
Well it's a good thing we got rid of all the people involved in those drafts.....

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
3/4ths of all decisions and maneuvers this management group makes has to correct this. I think they are on the right track to fixing the problem

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
3/4ths of all decisions and maneuvers this management group makes has to correct this. I think they are on the right track to fixing the problem

Whats changed? They brought in Brackett and Bennings son for Crawford?

I did read your post wrong

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yeah, this is a well known, well documented, well hashed over, well everything issue around these parts. Many of the users here could probably pick as good - if not better - than the Canucks have. Maggie the Monkey probably could. Hell, you could pull up a list of name and throw darts at it, and by pure, blind luck, we might draft as well as the Canucks do.

And yet the same old fossils appear in the scouting department.

I know they recently made some changes; I hope those are concrete things, and not just throwing names out there for the appearance of making change. As long as Ron Delorme is employed in a scouting capacity by this organization, I'll be dubious.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Whats changed? They brought in Brackett and Bennings son for Crawford?

From what I understand Benning has changed the entire scouting and ranking methodology. How they build their final list is incredibly Important as we learned in 2010 in what was one of the worst, sloppiest lists ever assumed was revealed.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
From what I understand Benning has changed the entire scouting and ranking methodology. How they build their final list is incredibly Important as we learned in 2010 in what was one of the worst, sloppiest lists ever assumed was revealed.

Problem with this is it's Weisbroad who changed the methodology (you can see a clip of it in one of the drafting videos) and that man has a terrible track record. We can look forward to more average highschool/college prospects I guess

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006

Sounds like the same strategy Gillis had when he came in. Try to outsmart the competition by looking for undervalued traits. They both should have gone straight to the source of the problem. You can't polish a turd. And Delorme is most definitely a turd.

Last edited:

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Can't sit here and tell me the drafting has been fixed until we see results. That will take time.

I give Benning the benefit on these things because it is his background. It seems to be what he enjoys. Won't be in favour or against these drafts for 3-4 years. please just stop trading draft picks.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Well having the fewest draft picks in that time frame certainly doesn't help. Even if Benning is the best scout in the world he still needs draft picks which he doesn't seem to value all that highly. Moves like throwing in a 5th to acquire a 32 year old goon aren't going to change this.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
I've complained about this before but.. yeah that would be awesome, he can use his time machine to go back and pick from all the players taken over the next 30 picks.

It's kinda too bad they didn't do it right and pick the highest ppg CHLer available with every pick, that might have actually been interesting to see the results.

More interesting, to me anyhow, would be a long term study to compare taking the highest ranked csb player with every pick and comparing that to who the Canucks (or any other team) took.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Canucks success in each round of draft 1970-present (100+ games played - with a bit of leeway for a few young active players):

Round 1 - 32
Round 2 - 17
Round 3 - 9
Round 4 - 6
Round 5 - 9
Round 6 - 7
Round 7 - 2
Round 8 - 1
Round 9 - 5
Round 10 - 2
Round 11 - 1

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
I'm sure developmental was a big problem with this too

Part of why I believe Utica is such a huge thing for us
It was pretty terrible when we had to share the wolves with another club

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I don't think we ever had to actually share the Wolves with another club. Every NHL team had their own AHL affiliate at that point. However, it was not owned by us and operated under their own direction with some influence from the team (similar to the Hershey Bears). But it was a crappy two years with them and almost every prospect that went through their system has been disappointing aside from Lack, Tanev and to a lesser degree Kassian.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Burke, Nonis, Gillis. the three stooges.

Gillis overhauled the scouting and his 2013 draft was the best we've had for a decade. He should have fixed the scouting 1-2 years earlier, but he still did it.

Don't let reality get in the way of your opinion, though.

I just hope Benning doesn't undo Gillis' work too much, although he did fire Gillis' guy Crawford who immediately got picked up by Montreal, so I don't have high hopes at the moment.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Drafted or developed team:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Grabner
Umberger Horvat Hansen
Kenins Hodgson Jensen

Edler Tanev
Bourdon Bieksa
Connauton Corrado

Schneider
Lack

Still a good team IMO.

1st round drafting position since 99- 2,3,23,16,23,26,10,14,25,10,22,29,26,9,24,6,24,23.
Top 10=22%
10-20=22%
21-30=56%

Definitely were in higher risk territory mostly since 1999.

Gillis era black hole is really killing us. Stretch of 8 yrs from 05 to 13 is disgusting
Raymond, Bourdon, Grabner, Hodgson, Schroeder, Connauton, Jensen, Corrado, Gaunce. Not a single impact player....I firmly believe Luc would have been though.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
If we did team polls of whom we wanted in the first round.. all of Gillis picks have filled that criteria

Hodgson, celebration all around
Schroeder, hyped player that was ranked in the top 15
Gaunce, another player that fell and would have been a leading candidate amongst posters in this board
Jensen, same deal as Gaunce. We would have voted him too
Horvat, a lot of people including me thought Nichushkin but were immediately intrigued and happy with this selection based on how quickly he was raising
Shinkaruk, nuff said

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad