How underrated is Filip Forsberg?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He is underrated, it's true. Might be his last time. He always gets compared to Peter Forsberg, even if it's unfair.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I’ll never forget being at the 2012 NHL draft in Pittsburgh. Shero trades Staal and Forsberg is on the board. It was so simple and easy. naturally he takes the small and moderately skilled d-man like he didn’t already have 12 of those in the prospect pool.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
In addition to the issues with injuries, he sometimes has been saddled with linemates who weren't very complementary/weren't very good over the years. He makes a lot of skill plays in the offensive zone, but at various times he has had players who either wanted the puck themselves more, or who weren't on the same wavelength as him, or who just weren't very good. O'Reilly and Nyquist have done a great job this year of just getting out of his way and enabling him to do his thing. Forsberg has always had this ability, just never really had this much chemistry to go along with it.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Mr. Saros would disagree.
Josi would too.

Just an add to this. I know we've been a franchise that struggles with scorers but this season, we have 4 players in the top 60 in scoring, 3 players with 75+, 2 players above a point per game. A top 5 goal scorer, a top 5 point producing defenseman and top 6 rookie scorer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whitewolfgang

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I’ll never forget being at the 2012 NHL draft in Pittsburgh. Shero trades Staal and Forsberg is on the board. It was so simple and easy. naturally he takes the small and moderately skilled d-man like he didn’t already have 12 of those in the prospect pool.

This! It was such an epic fail. This quote sums it up:

"as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Forsberg is a goal scorer but doesn’t bring much else to the table. But yea for him finally being healthy so people can think he is overrated.

He gets bigs numbers because the Preds have nothing else.
What the H E double hockey stick am I reading??

giphy.gif

Reactions: Janvonpobben

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Glad he found a full, healthy season in his prime still. Would've loved to see him get 50. Maybe he'll get some tips from Nyquist and have a career year at 35

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
He has played high tier hockey since he was 17 years old, and even on scoring line at that age. For us who have followed him from the first year among men it seems he has played for ages and is still under 30 years old (turns 30 in august).

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Liked him since his draft year, purely on his last name. Peter Forsberg was my favourite player growing up.

Filip turned out to be a beauty.
Peter was my favourite player too.

I don’t think he’s underrated. He certainly doesn’t get as much attention in Nashville as he would in some other cities but I think everyone recognizes his skill.

Reactions: hurdemz

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Extremely underrated. He's a Top-10ish Winger and he's done it for most of his career without a lot in the way of top tier offensive support around him. He also has immaculate style with his play, just really fun to watch. Plus, a fantastic moustache.

I feel like some difficulties consistently getting in full seasons, as well as just playing in Nashville and without that super high profile talent around him, is what ultimately gets him overlooked a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad