How to watch the Rangers??

coolbean04

Aug 5, 2006
I have decided to cut comcast Infinity because costs are too high and I only watch like 10 hours tv a week (paying 180 dollars a month).

I am going to use WoWTV in the roku3 which provides over 1000 live stream tv for 20 bucks a month which is great.

The issue is that MSG is not one of the channels.

Not talking about online streaming sites that I can use for free (bad choice because of low picture quality and constant ads).

How can I watch MSG (even if I have to pay for subscription) on the roku3? Is there like a local sports package app for like 5 bucks a month? Any legitimate online websites with hd quality and no ads for a paid subscription?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
You can get an NHLTV subscription just for the Rangers, but unfortunately if you're in the MSG viewing area, the games are going to be blacked out. You'd need to run your stream through a VPN, which I'm not sure is available on Roku. If you were able to manage that, all nationally broadcast games would be blacked out, and you'd have to hope WoWTV had NBCSN and NHLN as a part of it.

coolbean04

Aug 5, 2006
You can get an NHLTV subscription just for the Rangers, but unfortunately if you're in the MSG viewing area, the games are going to be blacked out. You'd need to run your stream through a VPN, which I'm not sure is available on Roku. If you were able to manage that, all nationally broadcast games would be blacked out, and you'd have to hope WoWTV had NBCSN and NHLN as a part of it.

How much is an NHLTV subscription for just the Rangers? Let me google to see if I can do a VPN for roku

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004

We are up in central NY and paid for game center. Rangers get blacked out on msg and then blacked out as well on game center. It's ridiculous. We tried a vpn but it didn't work for some reason. It's so frustrating how even when you pay for channels/additional services you can still be denied the ability to watch you team...

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yeah the situation for watching the NHL online isn't great. I have NHLTV for just the Rangers and it's fine because I live in Pittsburgh. However, I'm cutting cable next month and I'll have to figure out a way to watch all of the games on NHLN, NBCSN, and the local Pens channel, ROOT Sports. SlingTV should take care of NBCSN, but I'll have to hope the VPN continues to work for Root and NHLN games.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
It's a shame that the legit methods are so difficult if you're in the damn market. :rant:

I might be moving way out of state in the future so I hope center ice is good by then.

iamthewalrus

Aug 1, 2010
Connecticut
Is there any (legal) way to watch live games in an nhl.tv blacked out area?

Southeast CT is still considered blackout territory for some reason or another, and I'm not going to buy cable just to watch hockey.

I was spoiled by the streaming-service-that-must-not-be-named the last couple years, wish they were still around

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.
Is there any (legal) way to watch live games in an nhl.tv blacked out area?

Southeast CT is still considered blackout territory for some reason or another, and I'm not going to buy cable just to watch hockey.

I was spoiled by the streaming-service-that-must-not-be-named the last couple years, wish they were still around

You might be able to use a VPN to change your location to something outside the blackout zone? Not sure that would work with nhl.tv, though.

member 116805

Can you choose home/away commentary on nhltv?

Edit: never mind, cant get it over here anyways :(

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
If you set up a VPN at the router level to an out of state location you should be fine, so if you're still getting blocked then they are using alternative methods of locating you (billing address, tracker files, browser cookies, sign up IP, etc..)

Last edited:

TheDave1022

Nov 4, 2008
Carmel, NY
You dont even need a VPN. Just get a Smart DNS like AdFreeTime and change your DNS settings on the computer or device you are watching with. It's $2 a month if you want to try it out. Worked for me last season.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
You dont even need a VPN. Just get a Smart DNS like AdFreeTime and change your DNS settings on the computer or device you are watching with. It's $2 a month if you want to try it out. Worked for me last season.

That's not technically a DNS service, it's actually a proxy referral service. So instead of using VPNs you are using proxies. But hey if it works great, people should be allowed to watch the games they are paying for

TheDave1022

Nov 4, 2008
Carmel, NY
That's not technically a DNS service, it's actually a proxy referral service. So instead of using VPNs you are using proxies. But hey if it works great, people should be allowed to watch the games they are paying for

The benefit to using the dns services is that your internet traffic isnt routed out to another location. If you pick Canada as your VPN location, your internet traffic routes out to canada and then back in, getting you slower speeds. DNS only for the request to the site IP address. Much better solution and it works. I went with other methods this year as I wasnt fully happy with NHL.TV performance last season.

Just to add a few extra bits of info. If you try to use Google Cast from Android/iOS, this will not work as the application uses location services. You would have to use the Web Player, which isnt 720p @ 60 fps and 5000 Kbps, so to me quality wasnt great. You can use Kodi plugins to get the 5000 Kbps or use a supported connected device like a Roku and set the DNS servers.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I was thinking about trying NHL.TV and a service like ipvanish. Would that combination work? And how does the video quality compare to watching MSG HD on FiOS or TWC? I'd really love to cut the cord, but can't without a viable alternative to watching the Rangers.

TheDave1022

Nov 4, 2008
Carmel, NY
I was thinking about trying NHL.TV and a service like ipvanish. Would that combination work? And how does the video quality compare to watching MSG HD on FiOS or TWC? I'd really love to cut the cord, but can't without a viable alternative to watching the Rangers.

If you get the 720p @ 60 fps and 5000 kbps stream, it looks exactly like cable. The NHL servers aren't the best, and you may get the occasional buffer or pause. I deal with it and rather save my money over cable.

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
I live in LA so the only way I can watch every game is:

1) NHL.TV subscription
2) Basic Cable with NBC Sports
3) NHL Channel add on

Its a damn rip off.

For the last few years I had all three of them plus hockeystre@ms - as the HS streams were of better quality and had pregame coverage.

The feeds from the NHL have gotten better if you have a decent connection and wired ethernet - but if you watch it on a big tv (rather than say a laptop) you will notice frame degradation - which takes away from the fluidity of the game as sometimes the puck staggers along.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
If you get the 720p @ 60 fps and 5000 kbps stream, it looks exactly like cable. The NHL servers aren't the best, and you may get the occasional buffer or pause. I deal with it and rather save my money over cable.

The feeds from the NHL have gotten better if you have a decent connection and wired ethernet - but if you watch it on a big tv (rather than say a laptop) you will notice frame degradation - which takes away from the fluidity of the game as sometimes the puck staggers along.

I watch on a 110" screen, so I'm definitely concerned about the picture quality. Occasional buffering I can live with (assuming we aren't talking about it happening every other minute) as long as it looks good most of the time. To be able to save over $100/month would make me tolerate a slight drop in quality.

TheDave1022

Nov 4, 2008
Carmel, NY
I watch on a 110" screen, so I'm definitely concerned about the picture quality. Occasional buffering I can live with (assuming we aren't talking about it happening every other minute) as long as it looks good most of the time. To be able to save over $100/month would make me tolerate a slight drop in quality.

If you have a way to mirror your PC to the TV (HDMI, etc), PM me and ill help you try something that may work out better

MBHockey

Sep 29, 2007

Is this the highest setting when you are watching via a web browser? I just bought this package last night and was watching on the highest setting, and it definitely was not 60 FPS.

Edit: Just saw above that the web stream is not 720p @ 60 FPS (i didn't think so). How do i access this higher quality stream? My connection can handle it. Do i have to use the Kodi player?

TheDave1022

Nov 4, 2008
Carmel, NY
Is this the highest setting when you are watching via a web browser? I just bought this package last night and was watching on the highest setting, and it definitely was not 60 FPS.

Edit: Just saw above that the web stream is not 720p @ 60 FPS (i didn't think so). How do i access this higher quality stream? My connection can handle it. Do i have to use the Kodi player?

Check your PM

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
i hate the blackout rule. i'd pay the nhl if they didn't black out the rangers

MBHockey

Sep 29, 2007
i hate the blackout rule. i'd pay the nhl if they didn't black out the rangers

Yeah, it is super frustrating. My parents live about 2.5 hours away from NYC and the only cable provider out there does not carry MSG. However, Center Ice is also blacked out for the rangers in this area for some infuriating and inexplicable reason. I usually buy the Center Ice package and use a VPN or proxy service with it, but the quality isn't great, in general, from the browser-based player. I'm thinking about moving the VPN to the router level and using the app on their Apple TV to stream it; maybe that will be better quality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad