How to run an online auction draft?

drnaud81

Aug 29, 2011
Quebec City, QC
hey guys,

I'm thinking about starting a new keeper league with salary cap, deep roster, etc etc. I'd love to do an auction draft, but have never done one before. I want to use Fantrax for the league, but it doesnt seem they support auction draft (yet), and don't really want to move to Yahoo.

so i'm wondering, what would be the best way to run an online auction draft ? In a chat room, on the message board, on a website I don't know about ??

thanks for your help !

drnaud81

Aug 29, 2011
Quebec City, QC
so I'm thinking it would be easier to do a slow draft on the league's message board. Something like each GM post a player each day, and the auction stop once 24hrs have passed without a new bid.

Anyone has done/participate in something similar ? (could be for other sports btw) Could anyone share how long your slow auction draft was ?

Catamo

Jul 5, 2006
British Columbia
Your plan would somewhat work on a forum. In a deep league you'd have to keep in mind how many players you'd have to go through, the amount of micromanagement required would be vast.

The problem I see with auction drafts is you'll likely find is some GMs will outsmart others and the rosters will vary much more in quality then they would have in a snake draft.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Your plan would somewhat work on a forum. In a deep league you'd have to keep in mind how many players you'd have to go through, the amount of micromanagement required would be vast.

The problem I see with auction drafts is you'll likely find is some GMs will outsmart others and the rosters will vary much more in quality then they would have in a snake draft.

Well, that's the GM's problem. If you research on how to do well in an auction draft, you'll be fine.

drnaud81

Aug 29, 2011
Quebec City, QC
the league should have 16 teams with 35 max contracts. Minimum number of players for a full roster would be 19 (12F-6D-1G), so i'm guessing we'd need an inaugural draft of say 25 players x 16 teams = 400 players total.

in a live draft I think it'd be better each GM take turn and nominate the next auctioned player. In a slow draft on a board, I think that might be too slow and tough to manage.

Would it be better if I, the commish, would be the one nominating the players, say 10-15 per day ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad