How to replace Olli Maatta?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't know if it will be THAT catastrophic. I just wanted to emphasize the link between Maatta's increased usage, the decreased reliance on Martin and Scuderi, and the improvement in the PK.

First instinct from the coaches, I think, will be to up minutes for Martin and Scuderi on the PK. I'd rather try the other three options first.

I don't think it will be catastrophic but it has the potential to be a decent blow to the team on a few fronts, the PK being a concern because of how it started the season and some of the personnel.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
We are losing our #1 D-man and replacing him with our #5. Of course, the Pens are going to feel it. It's Letang's time to step up. You know, the 7mil/year player who doesn't have a single ES point, and has been on the ice for the most 5v5 GA/min this year, and has the worst +- on the team?

Yeah, I think we sink or swim based off how Letang responds. Despres emerging helps a ton, but to think that Martin and Scuderi are going to shoulder any of the burden is blindly optimistic. Bortz is probably our best PKer. Scuderi should be avoided like the plague on the PK. Seriously, teams score 3X as many PP goals against us per minute with Scuderi (7.1GA/60min) on the ice vs Bortz (2.3GA/min) over the past 2 years. Bortz takes up a ton of space out there with his reach and he is as mean as he is crazy. How can you not love him on the PK?

As long as Letang/Despres step up at 5v5, and Bortz can replace Maatta on the PK, we should be able to cope. I doubt this is the strategy that the coaching staff utilizes though because it is unconventional, but based off data. The problem is that any strategy probably has Scuderi playing slightly more which we all know what to expect there.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
It's Letang's time to step up.

Agreed. Is it me or has he been getting a free pass for his decidedly mediocre play this season? This guy is supposed to be a near Norris calibre dman and frankly he's failed dismally to step up to the plate through the first 10% of the season. We need him to be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad