How to make the IIHF World Championships more competitive?

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
This is some horrible takes in here. It is important to invite lesser teams to the big dance as well. If you want to make it more competitive, how about have NHL/KHL/SHL put some pre-season games in GB/France/Italy/Austria, and/or try to market the sport more in those countries.

The championship is competitive in the playoffs as is. You dont see teams like USA or Switzerland eliminated from playoffs spots because they played in a strong division and a weak bubble team from another division sneaks past them.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's not like those countries wouldn't have teams and events with strong following though, for example the Sheffield Steelers have a higher average attendance than Dynamo Moscow or Kärpät or Brynäs.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
From the the perspective of competitiveness, I liked the old WJC format: 10 teams, the group winner goes directly to the SF, 2.-3. ranked teams play a quasi-QF, fourth team just quits, the bottom team from any group plays the relegation game(s). I actually like the idea of the group winner going directly to the SF a lot. Within the traditional QF format, the destiny of each team depends too much on one single game. You may be stellar during the whole group stage, then one bad day comes and you are out, while a team which struggled throughout the group stage goes to the SF. I find this … not unfair, but lowering the significance of the group stage.

From the perspective of hockey development strategy, I sort of understand the current format.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Sometimes I miss the old format from the 80s with 8 teams playing against each other followed by a medal round of the top 4 and a relegation round of the other 4.

But I too think that the current format is better for the growth of the game.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
Do what has been done with the women's tournament.

Have an A and B division, where A is teams ranked 1-8 and B is 9-16.

Round Robin, top 4 from group A get byes, bottom 4 from A play off against top 4 from B.

Let's 16 participate, limits the very top versus very bottom, gives the bottom teams a chance to make playoff round games

Poro24

May 4, 2005
Finland
I think the old format that was used last ime in 2011 was perfect. There was only 6 games per team before quater finals. Now we have 7.

Only reason for chancing that must have been the money IIHF gets for having couple more games.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Only reason for chancing that must have been the money IIHF gets for having couple more games.

It's more plannable for spectators, also. With the old format you weren't exactly sure when your team played in the 2nd round. Now, if you plan to visit a WC, you have 7 fixed games to choose from long time before the tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad