how to keep sweat out of eyes

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
Since I have gotten older, i tend to sweat a bit more and now I have a problem of sweat getting into my eyes as I'm playing. What are my options for keeping this from happening?
I use a CCM FL60 w/ cage if that is of any help.

Last edited:

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I use a thin sweat band.

maZe_qoJnUg2jrXbfH4v1Vg.jpg

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I have the same issue - especially with no hair anymore! I use No Sweat liners in my helmet. I joke that they are like maxi pads for your head. They really do work though.

http://nosweatco.com/index.php/

I had tried using a skullcap like a teammate or two had, but my head needs to breathe.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I play wearing glasses so need to keep sweat out, an under armour skull cap works really well.

Also this should be obvious but I made the mistake for a while when I started playing, but don't have any products in your hair (hair gel, etc)!

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I used to wear the Reebok 5K helmet which is basically the same as your CCM FL60, I found it very hot due to very few vents - to be fair I never really noticed sweat in my eyes that much (I would take it off on the bench to cool off).

A few years ago got the Mission Inhaler which is the best ventilated helmet, it has a sweatband that catches sweat. Great helmet and the sweatband works great. I even bought an extra sweatband so I can change it midway during a game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zid64JlYRgQ

Now, flash back a couple years later my friend bought me a Easton E700 helmet with a Bauer Re-Akt cage for summer hockey. I was wearing the Mission Inhaler with a full shield from Avision Ahead for the winter league previously. I prefer the E700 for a few reasons.

I noticed that even though the Easton E700 helmet had less frontal vents than the Mission Inhaler, that the vents themselves were quite large, and the helmet was extremely light with the Re-Akt cage. I later found out that those two together were the lightest helmet / cage combo you can buy! Adding to the that, the E700 helmet has a liner that is removable and is fabric which absorbs sweat very well!
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey-helmet-e700.html
There is a 25% discount if you type in "BLKNOV25" in the coupon area. I am tempted to buy another one while they still have them in stock since the price is so low.

Both of those helmets have amazing airflow and have liners that absorb sweat, the Inhaler is slightly better ventilation wise, but the E700 is far lighter so it depends on you. I use the Mission Inhaler with a Oakley VR910 visor for casual practices, sponge hockey, and some outdoor shiny. I use the Easton E700 / Bauer Re-Akt cage for most actual games and pickup games, the lightness and protection makes you forget you're wearing anything on your head.

Last night I forgot my helmet at home before a pickup game, I went too the lost and found at the rink and got lucky - I found an old Jofa 290 helmet and cage combo. At first I thought the ventilation was OK, maybe it was a little too small and soon I was sweating bullets in my face all game. I found it annoying having to take it off a couple times to wipe the sweat out of my face. I now know how much breezier and less hassle it is to have a helmet that is better ventilated and has a sweat absorbing liner. I'll never forget my helmet again!
http://jofahelmets.blogspot.ca/2011/05/290.html

At the very least, get a thin headband and just take off your helmet on the bench a couple times a game to wipe your forehead and hairline. Having a shorter haircut helps too :cheers:

Last edited:

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
Thanks for the suggestions guys!
I will first look at local sporting good stores for something like the under armor skull cap, or sweat band. If that doesn't work I will look into a new helmet.

AIRAQ7

Jun 26, 2015
Soon...closer
I've tried the sweat band. Didn't work for me. But with the skull cap that works for me. I utilize both Under Armour and Bauer ones. They do what I need them to do. Keep the damn sweat out of my eyes. Since I am bald I would just get bullets during games and practices. Finally got it figured out....for now anyway.

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
I've tried the sweat band. Didn't work for me. But with the skull cap that works for me. I utilize both Under Armour and Bauer ones. They do what I need them to do. Keep the damn sweat out of my eyes. Since I am bald I would just get bullets during games and practices. Finally got it figured out....for now anyway.

I shave my head so there is nothing to stop the sweat from going into my eyes.
I picked up the Under Armour skull cap.
I used it during pickup on Sat and it worked perfectly! for the first time I had no sweat in my eyes.

Thanks guys!

AIRAQ7

Jun 26, 2015
Soon...closer
I shave my head so there is nothing to stop the sweat from going into my eyes.
I picked up the Under Armour skull cap.
I used it during pickup on Sat and it worked perfectly! for the first time I had no sweat in my eyes.

Thanks guys!

Hehe...same here dude. That's why I looked into the skull caps. I didn't like the sweat bands because felt like I had to adjust my helmet to big just get it to fit over my head. But glad it worked for you. :cheers:

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
I’ve not had issues with sweat dripping for ages, and I’ve been using a Bauer reakt 200 for ~6 months. It has more voids in the padding than my old Bauer 4500. I suspect my scalp doesn’t get so hot, and sweat has less tendency to drip down, as it can collect in the voids. After a session the inside is damp, but it dries very quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad