How to increase scoring? Only goalie is allowed to ice the puck.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Why can you ice the puck on PK? It's supposed to be a penalty.

This. Just game-slowing stuff. Skate it out and that's that. Or make the player carry to the center line to dump it. That won't be worlds better but still an improvement, and it might cause turnovers which will lead to more scoring chances.
Icing on the PK needs to go, and fast.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Personally ive always been a fan of the 2 point circle :popcorn:

:naughty:

We should just take away the teams sticks on the pk, then we dont even have to worry about icing

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Plus, skaters will still ice the puck, it'll just mean more stoppages and longer games. Powerplays are already a big advantage and not exciting. Even if we assume a boost in powerplay goals is a good thing at all, is it worth making them more punishing and worse to watch?

This exactly!

The defending team will still ice the puck every opportunity they have, and we'll have about 10 whistles and faceoffs for each penalty. I'm pretty sure the current rule allowing the defending team to ice the puck was implemented for this very reason.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Take away the incentive to play for a tie and you will have strategy that is about going for the win.

The single point is just to valuable to preach offence first tactics. Teams play not to lose vs playing to win

2 point win. 0 point loss. No game ends in tie.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Take away the incentive to play for a tie and you will have strategy that is about going for the win.

The single point is just to valuable to preach offence first tactics. Teams play not to lose vs playing to win

2 point win. 0 point loss. No game ends in tie.
Why even have points then? May as well just be W-L

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
I thought I'd l;ike the rule based on the title but then read what you meant. Pretty dumb.

With that, I'd be fine with implementing a rule where the goalie could ice the puck at any time throughout the game. Forget PP/PK, the goalie can send the puck all the way down the ice without repercussion. Not that I can say right now whether I'd like that rule or it would be work, but it's definitely not super arbitrary.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Call a 2 minute penalty every time a goalie makes a save on the penalty kill.

Scoring will be definitely go up.

Also, a penalty shot for every attempted shot block.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The only rule I am interested in, is finding a way for the linesman to have the puck on a string and yo-yo it up and down, and watch as the players jump the gun trying to get it, that way he can send players to the box with immunity. They game will never be more exciting than to watch and see if any player can win the faceoff before the puck goes yo-yos back up, to avoid the penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad