How to increase scoring? Only goalie is allowed to ice the puck.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
During a PK, if the defenders (Aka all 4-3 skaters) ice the puck, then it'll be an icing. On the PK, only the goalie is allowed to ice the puck, thus making it more difficult to ease pressure.

Edit: Well how about we also make it that the PP goalie is allowed to ice the puck with zero offside or icing possibilities, aka a Bishop, Smith, Price, Rinne type of team will flourish with this strategy lol.

Last edited:

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Who wants to increase scoring? Back-and-forth flow and even-strength scoring chances are what make games exciting regardless of the score.

Plus, skaters will still ice the puck, it'll just mean more stoppages and longer games. Powerplays are already a big advantage and not exciting. Even if we assume a boost in powerplay goals is a good thing at all, is it worth making them more punishing and worse to watch?

Reactions: Steven

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
what if only one team's goalie was allowed on the ice at a time, and said team had to take off a skater, but each team's goalie could only stay on the ice for two minutes maximum, forty-five seconds minimum?
During a PK, if the defenders (Aka all 4-3 skaters) ice the puck, then it'll be an icing. On the PK, only the goalie is allowed to ice the puck, thus making it more difficult to ease pressure.

so more PP goals? what about even strength?

I think this would just make people more pissed about controversial calls.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Who wants to increase scoring? Back-and-forth flow and even-strength scoring chances are what make games exciting regardless of the score.

Plus, skaters will still ice the puck, it'll just mean more stoppages and longer games. Powerplays are already a big advantage and not exciting. Even if we assume a boost in powerplay goals is a good thing at all, is it worth making them more punishing and worse to watch?

Bingo. There is actually an advantage to that, because it slows the game down and gives the defending team more opportunity to rest. It isn’t as good as a change, but it’s still better than nothing.

There is just no advantage to calling icing on the PP. Teams aren’t going to stop sending it down, because the alternative is forcing plays that lead to goals against.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Ugh.

WHEN will hockey fans realize that GOALS aren't what create excitement.

SCORING CHANCES do.

I am just as entertained by a nice save, or a smart defensive play, shot block as I am seeing a player light up a goalie every second shift, making it an awful 9-1 game.

Lundqvist, Price, Holtby, all world class goalies and do any of these guys have a save percentage above 900.00 right now? (Maybe Holtby does I don't know) but there is enough scoring.

Last night there were an average of seven goals in a game in the 8 game splayed.

That's 4-3, 5-2, 6-1, etc.

Scoring is up I believe but the position of goalie is hard enough.

Unfortunately some fans watch certain teams and think that is how the "NHL" is because that's the only team they watch.

Watch Tampa Bay, Toronto, Pittsburgh, you'll see a lot of goals

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
yeah let's make MORE rules!

cause the refs are calling all of the existing rules so perfectly, they clearly must be bored out there, let's give em something to do

Reactions: StDevs

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Clearing the puck out of your own end on a pk is one of my favorite plays in hockey, leave it alone. Scoring also seems to be up this year which is good as well.

Reactions: nonzerochance

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Problem isn't scoring, it's the way the game is played. So little creativity and entertainment these days.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'm quite pleased with the amount of offense so far this season.

Furthermore, goals for the sake of goals is not the objective. Exciting play that leads to goals is.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The only real way to increase scoring, not that I think that needs to be done, is to eliminate the coaches.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
as long as we can add challenges for this new eyes closed rule I'm all for it. Bonus points if the refs reviewing it have their eyes closed.

And the team should only be rewarded 1.5 goals if only 1 eye is open.

Refs already review challenges with their eyes closed, so bonus points for actually reviewing it with their eyes open. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad