How to fix Trade Deadline Day

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I see no problem with how it is now. I didn't watch the whole thing, but I thought TSN did a decent job with what they were given.

If you want more TDL trades you could always implement a no-trade policy for the week before so that any trade decided on won't get announced until TDL day, but you might have a problem with having 2 mini TDL days.

You could move the TDL back 2 or so weeks (further into the season) so that teams have a better idea of whether or not they should be buyers or sellers. Wasn't a terrible issue this year, but many years teams buy/stand pat when they should be selling.

Eliminate trading any players who played this season from being able to be traded on/before draft day. I don't like this change, but you'd see a lot more guys getting moved at the TDL instead of waiting to move them at the draft.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Can't believe people want to eliminate the salary cap.

In world without a cap, your team can suck because your owner is a cheap jerkface. That's not what sports are about.

Nobody wants to cheer for an acceptable return on investment for some rich *****.

I don't care if the Leafs stand to benefit more than everyone else, it's stupid.

The cap floor is not that much, can't a cheap jerkface owner still **** over their fanbase?

It just pisses me off that in the one sport a Toronto team could flex their financial muscle...we've been neutered.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The cap floor is not that much, can't a cheap jerkface owner still **** over their fanbase?

It just pisses me off that in the one sport a Toronto team could flex their financial muscle...we've been neutered.

We have like 15 million intentionally buried. We basically tripled the highest coaching salary ever. We have among the best facilities and probably the biggest scouting and management staff and budget.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Easy way to fix it is don't take the day off work to watch it but instead go to tsn.ca at 4 o clock to see what happened.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The fan bases that actually support the league are the ones getting proportionally screwed here. The game is organized to benefit the owners first and the players second. And it is all downhill from there.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
Only way is remove the cap. Trades would be flying right and left if GM's had no cap on what they could spend. That's never going to happen because the NHL loves fake parity.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Can't believe people want to eliminate the salary cap.

In world without a cap, your team can suck because your owner is a cheap jerkface. That's not what sports are about.

Nobody wants to cheer for an acceptable return on investment for some rich *****.

I don't care if the Leafs stand to benefit more than everyone else, it's stupid.

that's happening now.
like. people argue that it forces managers to make smarter decisions. yes. and then it punishes those same teams for having to get rid of their players. not to mention.

people want to argue how it's fair - but it's systematically eliminating the middle class of hockey players.

the same managers who whine and whine how rich teams get away with everything, is the same team who artificially manipulate the cap so they aren't spending real cap-dollars.

your team can suck because your owner is a cheap jerkface in a cap: see Maple Leafs, era, Teachers Pension

heck people want to argue how a cap will make you buy championships? Baseball has zero cap and all the "we throw zillions at people" teams - rarely win. Sports STILL happen.

The salary cap is like the participation ribbon. we want everyone to feel all nice and included and even. and it's just as pointless and stupid.

at the very least there is zero reason why the cap can't be soft. (I don't even know what this means, but it must be better than a hard cap) - and include a luxury tax. teams should be able to buyout people without it going on their cap (like. that means zero-sense to me why they removed it) or bury them in the minors.

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
Or just have it so there's no cap penalty/legacy for bought out players.

That way, players would still get grit money and teams could have more cap flexibility

This would also force players to play harder to make sure they aren't the ones getting bought out.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
It won't fix the trade deadline, but aligning the bye week to take place after the trade deadline would be a godsend to some players. Also, remove the restrictions on practicing during the bye week too.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Teams like Toronto certainly shouldn't be subsidizing teams in ***tty markets without some kind of reward, that's for sure.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Because people enjoy seeing trades not seeing Gino Reta chasing a couple of lamas around the parking lot outside of TSN studios.

The reality is the trade deadline will never be what was in a salary cap world. Teams are much more protective of future picks, young players.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The reality is the trade deadline will never be what was in a salary cap world. Teams are much more protective of future picks, young players.

It was fun before and after the last lock out. Teams just make more deals before the day than on it.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Another idea: Players you draft have 15% of their salaries not count towards the cap. If they are traded or sign somewhere else the reduction is no longer valid even if they end up playing for you again in the future.

Edit: I'm aware this may be counter intuitive for spurring trades but oh well, it will reward teams that draft well and help to keep teams together. This combined with the original trade deadline idea would be pretty sweet.

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Retained salary already allows a ton of flexibility. Plenty of trades happened leading up to the deadline, GMs are just starting to do a lot of them in the days leading up to it, making deadline day itself quieter than it used to be.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Honestly, I always wondered why there wasn't a football (soccer) style loan system in the NHL.

It would make the deadline more about acquiring studs off struggling teams for the year, giving MORE resources to rebuilding teams, and getting those young players experience in the playoffs.

Imagine if teams could acquire Austin Matthews for the rest of the year, but Toronto doesn't lose him long term. Sure there are injury risks etc, but in terms of win-win I think it helps both teams.

Toronto maybe can get a first round pick for essentially nothing, and a team bound for the playoffs gets a top6 centerman with skill.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I don't think it needs fixing. It is what it is. The fact that there is so much parity in the league might lead to a dull trade deadline day but it also leads to a MUCH better 82 game hockey season.

BUT..........

You could institute a week long trade freeze leading into trade deadline day. This would make things a little interesting. You could have a deal going into the freeze but with the extended period anything can happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad