How to fix Trade Deadline Day

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
The assumption that it needs to be "fixed" at all is pretty wild to begin with.

Just because you take a day off of work/school, hoping for teams to go crazy on a single day, doesn't mean the system is broken.

It may mean that your priorities in life are skewed, however.

This!

It makes me laugh sometimes, when you see people talking about a trade deadline party, days off work/school etc., even after the last few years are pretty much dead, and just minor moves. As someone posted - blame TSN and Sportsnet for the unfounded hype. They want viewers. It's like hyping up a movie, just for the sake of the hype, when in reality it is terrible. Obviously, it works though. How sad is it when the most exciting thing happen is a t-shirt cannon.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Can't believe people want to eliminate the salary cap.

In world without a cap, your team can suck because your owner is a cheap jerkface. That's not what sports are about.

Nobody wants to cheer for an acceptable return on investment for some rich *****.

I don't care if the Leafs stand to benefit more than everyone else, it's stupid.

So you think sports should be about everyone is equal?

When the Leafs were a top spending team, they still didn't win anything. So it's not like spending guarantees anything.

I'm a believer in allowing rich owners to use their financial might to improve their asset as they see fit. I further believe it's better for the league if the highest revenue teams are able to gain a competitive advantage through spending. If you asked Rogers if they would pay more for NHL rights of they knew the Leafs would be in the playoffs every single year, they would in a heartbeat. Likewise if you asked NBC if they could guarantee the Rangers to go deep every year, they would take that as well.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Regardless I can't see any situation in which the salary cap goes away.

Neither the owners nor PA have anything to gain from contraction.

Personally I'm fine for the most part with the current system though think it could be tweaked (ie preventing bought out players from counting against the cap)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Allow to trade cash and/or retain even more salary would probably make trades even more interesting.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
how to fix trading and transactions in the League:

No salary cap
or
Luxury tax.
and
no expansion :nod:

We take a very "rich-team" centric view. Other (as in most or the majority) teams/owners/fans do not see the cap in the same way as we do. Doubt if most owners would get behind a "no-cap" or "luxury tax" based league and the NHL is set up as a majority rules scenario. We can always continue to dream about it I suppose.

I'm not sure there's a problem to be fixed here, unless of course we are hoping that our own management is not trading away the future of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad