Proposal: How to Fix the NHL

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
This is the big one and they key to getting the rules enforced. They need accountability for the refs.

It's also 2015 and time to embrace technology, make everything video reviewable. Goals and penalties; figure out a system for reviewing missed calls as well.

I'm not too keen on reviewing every missed call during the game. That could really slow the game down to NFL levels (NOOOOO!!!). I can see reviewing a high sticking call to see if it was indeed the player called and not a teammate, as I've seen a couple times.

I would like for their to be a team in the League Office to review games to grade refs on what they called and what they missed/let go.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Look, the primary difference that is measurable between the highest scoring era in NHL history and this era which is historically one of the lowest scoring eras in NHL history is ONE more power play per game per team.

One. Uno. Single.

Call one more obstruction call per team a game and problem maybe not solved but it seems as if it would go a long way toward it.

Fraction Jackson

Mar 1, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
First cut down on the obstruction and call the rulebook, then tinker with the goalie pads to allow some extra shooting room and skater pads to cut down on rock hard elbows and shoulders.

I think that the slide back towards dead-puck-era style officiating is actually an intentional move by the league in an attempt to reduce injuries.

Think about the kinds of things people mention when they talk about concussions, for example. They talk about the speed of the game. They talk about how modern players are so much faster and bigger than in previous eras (on average), that even clean hits can do a lot of damage. There are, of course, tons of other factors - changes in the way players deal with each other, equipment changes, and of course new diagnostic techniques and so forth that allow us to see how many concussions are actually happening - but the size/speed issue is a big part of it, and the league knows this. Cracking down on headhunting helps, but F = ma is an immutable law of the universe; dirty hits are only a small subset of hits resulting in concussions, and if you can't directly address the average mass of players to reduce the damage that average hits can do, you have to address acceleration.

If we accept that, and if we look at how obstruction has returned in force around the same time that the league has taken steps to address head injuries, then assuming it's intentional isn't a big leap. Setting picks, hooks and holds, tying someone up along the boards for a little longer than usual, old-fashioned water skiing - all of these slow the game down, reduce the ability of players to operate at or near top speed as often. In turn, it theoretically reduces the incidence of hits that cause concussions and head injuries, because the average hit will have less acceleration in your F = ma equation. Especially at a time when the NHL is under extreme pressure to show it is reducing head injuries due to potential legal consequences, obstruction is - to the league - by far the lesser of the two evils.

This is all a very long-winded way of saying that one way or another obstruction is here to stay, rightly or wrongly. And it's quite possible the league is right, that this might well be the most effective way of reducing head injuries in the long run, even if the league can't come out and explicitly say that it's deliberately not enforcing the rules for that purpose.

If that's the case, proposals to increase offense will have to focus on things like net size, goalie equipment size, and other factors first, because addressing obstruction might end up being off the table.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm not too keen on reviewing every missed call during the game. That could really slow the game down to NFL levels (NOOOOO!!!). I can see reviewing a high sticking call to see if it was indeed the player called and not a teammate, as I've seen a couple times.

I would like for their to be a team in the League Office to review games to grade refs on what they called and what they missed/let go.

Then give the coaches X number of challenges for missed calls in a game but you can't let the refs watch someone get cross checked in the back of the neck and deal with it later.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Then give the coaches X number of challenges for missed calls in a game but you can't let the refs watch someone get cross checked in the back of the neck and deal with it later.

I think that'll lead to a lot of murky explanations as to why the call was upheld/reversed, but I'm not dismissing it. Just saying it need a lot of research.

One thing I would like to see, that I saw brought up years ago somewhere but haven't heard anything since, is having the referees mic'd up together. So of like in soccer where the linesmen can talk to the referee from afar and during the run of play.

It's frustrating to see something called from the centre ice trailing official that the closer official deemed fair. Here you could have the closest official telling the other, "No, stick missed the player" or whatnot. You could also have the linesmen seeing something and alerting the officials who have their backs to it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It will allow for more puck movement and control. Less obstruction and an emphasis on skating. It would be a different game, but I'd like it.

It won't happen though because you would lose seating capacity at every rink.

It would result in a lot more perimeter play. I'm not interested in that. I do not enjoy watching bigger ice hockey.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Less net to shoot at is the biggest problem. It is a fact that their is less net available to shooters today. Fix it.

That makes scoring lower, but it doesn't really make the game less exciting imo. Increasing scoring chances is more important to me than increasing scoring. Scoring chances are down more because of reffing, shot blocking and generally much more structured defensive systems. Goalies are a part of it just because a shot that used to be a good scoring chance isn't as good anymore, but I still think the other problems are bigger factors.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I don't care about reviews in game so much. I just want the league to review stuff and talk to the refs about it. Tell them where they messed up, and hold them accountable in some way.

wopper

Jan 12, 2009
I think most people know what the problems are. The goalies equipment and the way the game is called by the refs.

I think calling the game according to the rulebook, the same all season long and each period would go a long way to increasing scoring. We won't necessarily see this in the PP numbers, because teams will adapt. We'll see it in players like Sid and Geno getting more room to make plays and higher quality chances opening up. Right now they are getting slashed, cross checked, held, obstructed, tripped and the refs let so much of it go, so teams keep doing it.

Goalie equipment is pretty ridiculous too, I don't think people argue about that too much..

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Look, the primary difference that is measurable between the highest scoring era in NHL history and this era which is historically one of the lowest scoring eras in NHL history is ONE more power play per game per team.

One. Uno. Single.

Call one more obstruction call per team a game and problem maybe not solved but it seems as if it would go a long way toward it.

Not disagreeing with the concept, but wouldn't you need, on average, 5 more penalties/game to get one additional PP goal (assuming a 20% conversion rate on PP)? That would be a significant shift from the current practice.

Agree with all of the other posters on enforcing the current rules as written from start to finish of game, eliminating the embellishment call (it's not a big deal, but it's just another tool to keep things even in the third period), cut down on size of goalie equipment a little, hold referees accountable in some way.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
This won't increase scoring significantly but I'd also make it so penalties still have to be served even if a goal is scored during the delayed call.

Bigger ice will slow the game down, not speed it up.

It will allow more room for skilled players. Less obstruction, less trapping, less of a gauntlet for guys like Sid and Datsyuk to have to maneuver through.

Players are much larger than they were 20-30 years ago, but the ice stays the same.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It will allow more room for skilled players.

Players are much larger than they were 20-30 years ago, but the ice stays the same.

more room away from scoring areas. So you'll get very skillful cycling while the defense still just crashes on the net. Adding space away from the net doesn't accurately scale the ice with the increasing size of the players.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
more room away from scoring areas. So you'll get very skillful cycling while the defense still just crashes on the net. Adding space away from the net doesn't accurately scale the ice with the increasing size of the players.

If you don't think that an extra 10 feet in each direction wouldn't aid skill and reduce interference (which would have an obvious affect on the speed of the attack and offensive chances not to mention a reduction in collisions) we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
The net size doesn't have to be bigger i simply believe the bigger ice surface allow for more skill play, like in Europe or Olympics.. Also prevent injuries.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If you don't think that an extra 10 feet in each direction wouldn't aid skill and reduce interference (which would have an obvious affect on the speed of the attack and offensive chances not to mention a reduction in collisions) we'll just have to agree to disagree.

it will lower interference, but it will increase passive defensive systems stacking around their own net allowing the forwards to pass around the perimeter freely. It will allow for a lot of uncontested passing along the boards and no extra offense to show for it. But it will effectively eliminate aggressive defensive systems.

Changing the ice size doesn't change the fact that the defenseman and goalies are bigger, they block more shooting lanes and only need to worry about the area around the net. Making the rink wider just adds more ice that the defense doesn't really care much about. Perimeter shots are rarely dangerous now; making the perimeter 10 feet wider won't make them more dangerous. If you want to scale the game up with the increased size of the players, you need to make the net bigger along with increasing the size of the ice. If the net is bigger, suddenly shots that's weren't dangerous from the outside are dangerous again. The size of the players with respect to the net is a bigger issue than the size of the players with respect to the ice.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The net size doesn't have to be bigger i simply believe the bigger ice surface allow for more skill play, like in Europe or Olympics.. Also prevent injuries.

European and Olympic hockey is really slow and boring compared to the NHL; even in its current state.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
To those of you that watch hockey across the pond... how close does the refereeing over there resemble the refereeing in the NHL/North America? Are the whistles swallowed in close games near the end? Are the makeup calls as blatant? Is the refereeing more consistent? Is there a clutching/grabbing problem in the KHL, Swedish, Finnish, etc leagues?

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
I think that'll lead to a lot of murky explanations as to why the call was upheld/reversed, but I'm not dismissing it. Just saying it need a lot of research.

One thing I would like to see, that I saw brought up years ago somewhere but haven't heard anything since, is having the referees mic'd up together. So of like in soccer where the linesmen can talk to the referee from afar and during the run of play.

It's frustrating to see something called from the centre ice trailing official that the closer official deemed fair. Here you could have the closest official telling the other, "No, stick missed the player" or whatnot. You could also have the linesmen seeing something and alerting the officials who have their backs to it.
I like that idea a lot.

I also think every major penalty should be an automtic on ice review, just like every scoring play in football.

To those of you that watch hockey across the pond... how close does the refereeing over there resemble the refereeing in the NHL/North America? Are the whistles swallowed in close games near the end? Are the makeup calls as blatant? Is the refereeing more consistent? Is there a clutching/grabbing problem in the KHL, Swedish, Finnish, etc leagues?

I can only talk about the DEL and EBEL (Austria). Well, for starters hockey in those two leagues isn't nearly as physical as in North America, so you rarely get any headshots or boardings that could result in a major penalty. Make up calls are not as common and/or blatant as they are in the NHL, but they do happen. They usuallly don't put the whistles away in close games or playoff games, but they can be pretty inconsistent at times.

A few years back the EBEL finally decided to have 2 head referees on the ice (thanks to some retired NHL referee and Pierre Page who really ripped into them) so that improved things a lot.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
1) Officiating fairly: The worst thing about the NHL is that they penalize based on injury. That's sickening. That's just disturbing to me. Change that immediately.

2) Make the ice bigger or go to 4 on 4: Players are way too big nowadays. Open the ice up and obstruction goes down CONSIDERABLY.

3) Start calling penalties for holding/hooking/etc. Fans liked it even with more powerplays. The game seemed at a big time height in 2007-2011 w/ less holding and more ice to skate. I think the fans actually appreciated more powerplays.

Personal change: Make all players wear cages/visors. One puck to the face can kill an individual and I believe it will happen before they make the full switch. Do it now. Protect injuries. Protect everything.

If people want to fight, drop the helmet/gloves and go. It will stop the stupid ******** quick punches after the whistles and everything.

Also for people who think it will take the personality out of the game. HELL no. It doesn't for NFL and it won't for NHL. I'm not comparing leagues, but that's the biggest joke of an argument.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
This is the big one and they key to getting the rules enforced. They need accountability for the refs.

It's also 2015 and time to embrace technology, make everything video reviewable. Goals and penalties; figure out a system for reviewing missed calls as well.

The referees are plenty accountable. To this idiot.

He's the problem. Prior to Campbell, no Dead Puck Era, no concussion era, etc.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Personal change: Make all players wear cages/visors. One puck to the face can kill an individual and I believe it will happen before they make the full switch. Do it now. Protect injuries. Protect everything.

Don't they have to wear visors now? Well, new players. Its grandfathered just like helmets were, right?

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base

I can only talk about the DEL and EBEL (Austria). Well, for starters hockey in those two leagues isn't nearly as physical as in North America, so you rarely get any headshots or boardings that could result in a major penalty. Make up calls are not as common and/or blatant as they are in the NHL, but they do happen. They usuallly don't put the whistles away in close games or playoff games, but they can be pretty inconsistent at times.

A few years back the EBEL finally decided to have 2 head referees on the ice (thanks to some retired NHL referee and Pierre Page who really ripped into them) so that improved things a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad