How to fix the Canucks' power play?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
We can talk about little tweaks here and there, but nothing will significantly change until the Sedins are either split up or change their game. These little back and forth passes in the corner are completely useless and only serve to waste time on the clock while accomplishing nothing. Top powerplays need to have quick movement from one side of the ice to the other, to get defenders moving and tired and open up shooting lanes.

Agreed. Having two playmakers on one PP has been ****ing painful to watch. The Sedins have morphed into the exact same players now, and they really need to be split up in situations like this. They're pretty predictable on who they are going to play catch with until another player opens up.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
We can talk about little tweaks here and there, but nothing will significantly change until the Sedins are either split up or change their game. These little back and forth passes in the corner are completely useless and only serve to waste time on the clock while accomplishing nothing. Top powerplays need to have quick movement from one side of the ice to the other, to get defenders moving and tired and open up shooting lanes.

You could split them up and have them together kinda. Just have Daniel be at one point and Hank operating from behind the net like he normally likes to. The rest of the players pretty much need to be shooters tho

The Sedins also need to probably pass less to each other since everyone expects them to pass to each other. Instead use each other as decoy and force the other team to adjust.

The other thing is getting Horvat there should help with entry (huge issue with the first unit). Also he could serve as the "net presence"

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
You could split them up and have them together kinda. Just have Daniel be at one point and Hank operating from behind the net like he normally likes to. The rest of the players pretty much need to be shooters tho

The Sedins also need to probably pass less to each other since everyone expects them to pass to each other. Instead use each other as decoy and force the other team to adjust.

The other thing is getting Horvat there should help with entry (huge issue with the first unit). Also he could serve as the "net presence"

The Sedins would eventually just gravitate to each other and be making the same plays they do now. The only way to legitimately split them up, is to act split them up and put one of the top unit and one of the second unit.

They're both playmakers now with no threats of a shot. They're easy to read. They're both capable of being a PPQB, so why not split that up and try to get other players more looks? What's happening right now currently isn't working.

GranGod*

Jan 12, 2017
Get more movement. Stationary, predictable, unproductive.

Merry Christmas everyone

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
BUMP....

Any new suggestions to fix our PP?

New suggestion:
If we keep Hansen... let's give the guy that Stamkos spot where he gets tee'ed up for a one timer....

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Put our ****ing leading scorer on the first powerplay unit.

... and take Jayson ****ing Megna off of it.

It's amazing that they could take Sutter off (only due to injury) and pick the one guy on the roster more ill-suited for that role and give it to him. :laugh:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Fix the pp?....won't happen until training camp next with a new coaching staff....but how about stationing Boeser and Boucher along with side-walls with orders to shoot on sight....then crash the net looking for the garbage....also split up the Sedins, which will force Henrik to actually shoot the puck.:handclap:

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I thought there was one game in the last 5 to 7 games where there were glimpses of a PP breakout game....

The Sedins were moving the puck really quick and smooth... and we actually looked like we had chances... I forget whether it was @CBJ or @BUF....

But yeah.. Sutter should be nowhere near that PP1.. ughhhh

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
any theories on why horvat has exactly 2:11 in this entire season playing with henrik at full strength, and 7:22 in their entire careers?

i understand they are both centres often spelling each other off on shifts, but that means almost no overlap on power play or pk or pulled goalie or 4 on 4 or as a back up for defensive faceoffs or even caught on a turn over in the middle of a shift.

it seems abnormally low

JA

#1 New Coach

#2 Put Bo on the first unit (after all he's the pt leader on the team...). Also Bo should help a lot with zone entry/setup that Sedins seem to have a huge problem doing (mostly due to lack of speed/puck retrieval skills). Also better in the circle than H. Sedin so we'll more likely get the puck off the draw.

#3 Stecher as the "bomb" at the point (mostly because he seems to actually get his shot to the net) and either Eriksson or Bae as the 5th player (honestly its a toss-up but i'm thinking Bae might be better).
I have found that Stecher struggles to put his shot on net from the point. He takes too long to release the puck and, at the moment, does not create an angle for himself to shoot it on goal without it being blocked.

The team does not have the talent to be effective at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
"This has been an ongoing theme for two years now, and it's not the coach?..Really?....It's all about the coach.....Willie admitting in the post-game presser that his team can't make the playoffs without a power play. Ya think?

Yet pp after pp, he sends the same group out there, and every game they accomplish nothing. I can't decide what it is....is he just stubborn?...the more the criticism rises, the more he digs in his heels?...or is he just in awe of veteran NHL'ers because he never played in the league himself and can't bring himself to change them up?....Who knows?

It's not the coach. You know from the 2012-2013 season onwards which Canucks team had the best PP? The 2014-2015 version of the Canucks. The PP has been fully dependent on the Sedins and whether it's AV, Torts, or Willie, nothing has changed.

Like I said, the problem is the Sedins. Ever since the Sedins took over as the #1 line, the Canucks PP over the years have coincided with the Sedins' prime years. Their rise and fall coincides with the Canucks PP%. The Canucks' PP% in 2015-2016 is the same as the Canucks PP% in 2012-2013.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
It's not the coach. You know from the 2012-2013 season onwards which Canucks team had the best PP? The 2014-2015 version of the Canucks. The PP has been fully dependent on the Sedins and whether it's AV, Torts, or Willie, nothing has changed.

Like I said, the problem is the Sedins. Ever since the Sedins took over as the #1 line, the Canucks PP over the years have coincided with the Sedins' prime years. Their rise and fall coincides with the Canucks PP%. The Canucks' PP% in 2015-2016 is the same as the Canucks PP% in 2012-2013.

The problem is the coach. Full stop.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
The Canucks try and slow the play down too much. There needs to be more anticipation and support. The PK always seems to have enough time to reset. The only guys that get open are the point men because they're really not a threat to score from up high. Nobody reliably gets shots through to the net.

ekimbo

Sep 28, 2009
1. Stop posting someone up in the high slot. This clogs the middle of the ice making it more difficult to get a shot through or make a cross ice pass. It's very difficult to pass to this person inside the "box" and they rarely get a shot off. It's basically a waste of your man advantage. It may provide some more room for the 4 other players but the middle is clogged and we don't score from outside anyways. If they really want someone in the high slot, don't have him sit there. Have him move around through the slot but don't just stop there.

2. Bring up Subban at least for a couple games. I believe his offensive skill will outweigh his defensive weakness. We probably have one of the lowest scoring defenses in the league. We need a threat at the back end. If the other team is going out of their way to take the shot away from a D-man it means they are leaving more space for our forwards.

3. I think it has been said many times in this thread - take Brandon Sutter off the power play. MS said it best on page 1 of the thread.

A lot of people are saying to add Bo on the top unit. Bo rushes with the puck a little too much and tends to turn it over on the PP. He needs to learn to be a bit more patient on the PP. I'm not saying don't put him on PP1 but he probably isn't the magic bullet.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
You can't really fix it because the focal points of the power play are absolutely brutal. We can talk about Sutter on the PP or where certain players should be positioned but, honestly, the Sedins run the power play and do absolutely nothing on it. It's pretty mind blowing to watch, really, the way they go out there every time and change absolutely nothing. They actually look so damn content just holding the puck, passing it back and forth between each other, and ringing it around the boards.

The power play isn't getting better until we rebuild the team. I'm pretty confident in saying that. No new coaching, system or configuration will fix it.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Really want to try tryamkin in front of net but this coach is too dumb to try it.. :laugh:

I would love to see this. Sedins Stecher Tryamkin and Grandlund

Tryamkin in front of the net ... Stecher and a Sedin on the point , rotating, and Grandlund firing the puck every time he gets it.

BDG123

Dec 2, 2013
Vancouver
Canucks need to move the puck quicker on the power play, I think that might help. But in the long run, we need guys who can pull the trigger and/or thread the pass.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
You can't really fix it because the focal points of the power play are absolutely brutal. We can talk about Sutter on the PP or where certain players should be positioned but, honestly, the Sedins run the power play and do absolutely nothing on it. It's pretty mind blowing to watch, really, the way they go out there every time and change absolutely nothing. They actually look so damn content just holding the puck, passing it back and forth between each other, and ringing it around the boards.

The power play isn't getting better until we rebuild the team. I'm pretty confident in saying that. No new coaching, system or configuration will fix it.

i actually enjoy watching the second unit more then the first. the puck movement is just so slow when the sedins run the pp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad