How to fix the Canucks' power play?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
TAKE BRANDON SUTTER OFF OF IT.

End of story.

Somehow, possibly the worst PP player in the NHL in the past 5 years - and a guy who once went through a full season with 2 primary assists - has been a fixture on the top unit all season. And he's absolutely terrible. The guy is a pure rush/transition player who scores off broken plays based on his speed/shot. He has zero hockey sense offensively and is absolutely atrocious in contained offensive situations, both in terms of puck distribution and using his linemates, and in terms of board play and winning puck battles.

Oh, and take Jayson Megna off the 2nd unit while we're at it.

Put our actual skilled players on the PP. Horvat on the top unit, and dress Rodin and put him on the 2nd unit.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
At this point it's not the coach as this has been an ongoing theme for many years now. A PP that can't score when it's needed (two games in a row where a late PP in a tied game generated nothing). It's not really having enough talent to ice two decent units. Heck they can't even ice one really good one.

They can do things to make it better than it is but I don't think there is anyway to "fix" it until the talent level comes up. And I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Last edited:

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Step 1 is to have better players. Sedins, Eriksson, Stecher and sometimes Horvat work well on the pp. anyone else involved on either unit just doesnt have the skill

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
Split the twins up IMO. Place Henrik on the half boards on PP1, Daniel on PP2. Yeah they've made a career off of tiny intricate plays between each other on the PP but it's now obvious that defenders just drop below the hash marks and all 4 guys as a unit stop them by funnelling them wide. The PP hasn't been good for the past 3-4 years and the twins don't have the Kesler net front + Ehrhoff/Salo triggerman which helped make our PP tick.

----------Bo----------Loui
Hansen--------------Henrik
----------Troy---------

And

-------------Sutter--------Rodin/Bo
Baertschi----------------Daniel
----------Edler/Hutton----------

PP1 has Loui playing the Daniel role where he works downlow looking to either take it to the net, find Bo in front where he won't be physically dominated like our foundational centre, or Hansen backdoor once he gets healthy. Troy manning the point as Henrik's triggerman, and when there is rebounds this unit IMO will retrieve pucks well.

PP2 will run through Daniel as the playmaker and follow the same schematic PP1 uses. Hopefully they give Rodin a shot when fully 100% since he'd be a nice addition to this broken offence.

Will this work out if they tried it? Probably not, since there isn't much talent on this forward squad. But the fact that they change it up is a positive to me. I don't know what they expect when they keep throwing out the same guys on the PP when it obviously isn't producing and is one of the leagues worst.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Might be a good idea to put the top scorer on your first unit.

Oh and when Hutton gets healthy he needs to be on it.

Last edited:

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Fire the coach. Put horvat in front of the net.

I never thought a coach could hurt ticket sales. I honestly believe wiklie is hurting them. The fans are smart and can see how idiotic he is.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Split the twins up IMO. Place Henrik on the half boards on PP1, Daniel on PP2. Yeah they've made a career off of tiny intricate plays between each other on the PP but it's now obvious that defenders just drop below the hash marks and all 4 guys as a unit stop them by funnelling them wide. The PP hasn't been good for the past 3-4 years and the twins don't have the Kesler net front + Ehrhoff/Salo triggerman which helped make our PP tick.

----------Bo----------Loui
Hansen--------------Henrik
----------Troy---------

And

-------------Sutter--------Rodin/Bo
Baertschi----------------Daniel
----------Edler/Hutton----------

PP1 has Loui playing the Daniel role where he works downlow looking to either take it to the net, find Bo in front where he won't be physically dominated like our foundational centre, or Hansen backdoor once he gets healthy. Troy manning the point as Henrik's triggerman, and when there is rebounds this unit IMO will retrieve pucks well.

PP2 will run through Daniel as the playmaker and follow the same schematic PP1 uses. Hopefully they give Rodin a shot when fully 100% since he'd be a nice addition to this broken offence.

Will this work out if they tried it? Probably not, since there isn't much talent on this forward squad. But the fact that they change it up is a positive to me. I don't know what they expect when they keep throwing out the same guys on the PP when it obviously isn't producing and is one of the leagues worst.

You know as crazy as it sounds (re: splitting the Sedins).... WHY NOT?? It's not like what we have going on is working anyways.

I think it's time we start accommodating the Sedins so much and split them up .. whether it's on ES or PP.

My other "solution" or suggestion on the PP was simply shoot. You gotta shoot more to force the opposing defence to be out of position... If we keep passing up and down the boards, the dmen are still clogging up the middle....

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Here's a list of forwards who've played 200+ minutes of PP time in the last 3 years (sample of 215 players) and who've generated less GF/60 than Brandon Sutter:

Maybe having the guy who's dead last in the NHL over a several season sample be an unquestioned fixture on your #1 PP and have the 15th most PP TOI of any forward in the entire league so far this season isn't a good idea.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Here's a list of forwards who've played 200+ minutes of PP time in the last 3 years (sample of 215 players) and who've generated less GF/60 than Brandon Sutter:

Maybe having the guy who's dead last in the NHL over a several season sample be an unquestioned fixture on your #1 PP and have the 15th most PP TOI of any forward in the entire league so far this season isn't a good idea.

I didn't know intangibles count on the PP =P

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Put Tryamkin in front of the net.

At least try it. What do we have to loose? Our powerplay can't possibly get worse :laugh:

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
But how does the RHS vs LHS aspect come into play for that spot where Sutter is sitting on the PP1 unit?

Using the model of success (from our 2011 year)... where we were ranked #1..... who did we have in that spot? Samuelsson in Sutter's spot ? and Ehrhoff in Baertschi's spot... and Edler in Stecher's spot?... or was it Ehrhoff in Stecher's spot?.....

Which means having a LHS (Ehrhoff) over Stecher at the point doesn't really matter.. Ehrhoff had a hard shot that got through a lot of time.. and his chemistry with Edler was pretty good where they rotated spots from time to time... But from the eye test, I just recall Ehrhoff getting teed up quite often on the right point.

Maybe we should tee Stecher up on the left point... WHY are we using a LHS (Baertschi) at the left point for a back door play that works like once/twice a season...?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
But how does the RHS vs LHS aspect come into play for that spot where Sutter is sitting on the PP1 unit?

Using the model of success (from our 2011 year)... where we were ranked #1..... who did we have in that spot? Samuelsson in Sutter's spot ? and Ehrhoff in Baertschi's spot... and Edler in Stecher's spot?... or was it Ehrhoff in Stecher's spot?.....

Which means having a LHS (Ehrhoff) over Stecher at the point doesn't really matter.. Ehrhoff had a hard shot that got through a lot of time.. and his chemistry with Edler was pretty good where they rotated spots from time to time... But from the eye test, I just recall Ehrhoff getting teed up quite often on the right point.

The difference in offensive talent outweighs the handedness. If we had a good enough righty then I'd be all for it but it makes no sense to throw a player out that has no business being on the top unit simply because he's right handed imo.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I hate to say it, but take the Sedins off the 1st unit PP. Split them up at least. Have Eriksson as the net front presence. The Canucks' PP hasn't been good since when? The problem isn't Brandon Sutter.

Maybe it's the lack of a PP guy on the blueline the calibre of Ehrhoff but outside of acquiring one and finding out, it comes back to the Sedins. The Canucks PP was actually better in 2014-2015 than in 2012-2013. The 2012-2013 version had Kesler instead of Vrbata and Garrison was there alongside Edler to supply the bomb shot.

The Canucks PP are thus far worse this year, but in the past five years (including this season), the 2014-2015 season had markedly the best PP. In the other years preceding this year t's been about the same. Basically, the Canucks' PP has been subpar 4 out of the past 5 years and the constants are mainly the Sedins and to a lesser extent Edler (whose absence hasn't exactly led to a more productive PP anyways).

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
At the very least try the sedins split up. They are always the constant in this. It is mostly static because of them.

Let them draft two units and each run one. See how it goes.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
For starters keep people who shouldn't be on it OFF of it. This can't be stated enough honestly. If they aren't producing in the first place or don't have the skill take em off.

These lines are really just me spitballing.

PP1
Sedin Sedin Rodin
Burrows Stecher

PP2
Baertschi Horvat Eriksson
Edler Hutton

Potentially slot in: Boucher, Granlund, Tryamkin(net front presence ?)

These lines are really just me spitballing.

One thing that needs to be drilled into the powerplay units(especially the Sedin line) is shoot the puck at the net everytime you get a lane open. None of that fancy passing around for a good 20 seconds trying to catch the guys out of position. It worked in the earlier years, but everyone seems to have caught on and it's not near as effective.

Side note: Who actually runs the powerplay now ? I want to assume Pearn, but that's just my guess since Lidster is the defence guy and Jarvis doesn't strike me as powerplay coach..

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I think it's Jarvis..?

How about this:

PP1: Sutter-Henrik-Eriksson-Stecher-Daniel

Sutter positioned at the left slot, take faceoffs (if necessary).. I guess you can argue to put Hansen here too?
Henrik is the primary center man.. slides out to his usual right slot area or behind the net
Eriksson plays the net presence.. rotates with Henrik
Stecher at the left point area
Daniel Sedin at the right point area.. and hopefully shoots more.. (but is it just me or a Sedin slapshot isn't that scary?)

PP2:
With Eriksson in PP1... the PP2 is and feels so limited...

We should really look to give Bo some viable options to play with in the off-season...

Although on ES, Rodin-Horvat-Hansen seems intriguing.. for a speed and battle-hungry option (Sorry this is off-topic).

GranGod*

Jan 12, 2017
Well, since Ben Kuzma started it today on the Province..

What's your thought on fixing the Canucks? And be realistic... Don't say get rid of the Sedins

Get movement. It's stagnant. Easy to block the point shot when you know it's coming.

Coaching is a HUGE issue on this team.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
No more Sutter and bring back the slap pass. Also try Tryamkin as a net front presence.

Remember the stretch when Tom Sestito was the net presence on the PP under Torts?

As much as Torts year here was garbage.. you can't fault the guy for trying unorthodox things (Sestito and splitting the Sedins) that most other coaches even attempt.... even Jensen looked good for like 4 or 5 games.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
At this point it's not the coach as this has been an ongoing theme for many years now. A PP that can't score when it's needed (two games in a row where a late PP in a tied game generated nothing). It's not really having enough talent to ice two decent units. Heck they can't even ice one really good one.

They can do things to make it better than it is but I don't think there is anyway to "fix" it until the talent level comes up. And I don't see that happening anytime soon.

"This has been an ongoing theme for two years now, and it's not the coach?..Really?....It's all about the coach.....Willie admitting in the post-game presser that his team can't make the playoffs without a power play. Ya think?

Yet pp after pp, he sends the same group out there, and every game they accomplish nothing. I can't decide what it is....is he just stubborn?...the more the criticism rises, the more he digs in his heels?...or is he just in awe of veteran NHL'ers because he never played in the league himself and can't bring himself to change them up?....Who knows?

But I know one thing....this coaching staff has run its course. At this point I wouldn't care if Travis Green turns out to be the second coming of Dallas Eakins....it's time for a change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad