How to determine the draft order? (Mod: random order wins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
MOD: Poll will be open until Tuesday, January 15, but might be closed earlier if it gets lopsided.

Here's TDMM post about it.

Now that the dust has settled, would anyone actually be interested in choosing their draft positions?

The idea was actually VI's originally a couple of years ago - PM someone (probably me) a list of your top 5 preferred draft positions and I'd try to get you as close to what you wanted as possible.

If 2 GMs pick the same position (which obviously would be the case for the more popular spots like 1st overall), I'd use a randomizer to determine the winner, then move on to the 2nd choice for the loser(s).

If a GM can't get one of his top 5 spots, he gets a randomly selected one.

Or would you guys want to wait and see whether we can make trades before deciding?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I was strongly in favor of picking our draft positions if the "no trade draft" won, but with almost unlimited trading allowed, it's not a big deal for me either way.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Wait a second , is the draft order done earlier this week still relevant?

I thought it wasn't official because we didn't decide yet.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
the last order wasn't official , it was done it in a very unofficial matter with nobody except VanI and the guy making the lottery aware that this was going on.Once we decide how the order is going to be organize , if the random options wins we should make an official one during a evening where everybody could be there watching for their spot to appear.

One of the good reason for this is to make sure everybody who is voting on random vs choice is doing so in the most objective way possible , without having a draft spot to reject or protect.If the previous order is maintained , it is more a ''do I want to keep my spot or not'' poll instead of a real system preferance.

Last edited:

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
the last order wasn't official , it was done it in a very unofficial matter with nobody except VanI and the guy making the lottery aware that this was going on.Once we decide how the order is going to be organize , if the random options wins we should make an official one during a evening where everybody could be there watching for their spot to appear.

One of the good reason for this is to make sure everybody who is voting on random vs choice is doing so in the most objective way possible , without having a draft spot to reject or protect.If the previous order is maintained , it is more a ''do I want to keep my spot or not'' poll instead of a real system preferance.

VanI may be a shaddy character, but Spitfire is trust worthy and that is a tottally random order.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
VanI may be a shaddy character, but Spitfire is trust worthy and that is a tottally random order.

You clearly missed my point entirely , I never doubted the honesty of Spitfire or even VanI (for the specific process of this year's draft order).

What I'm saying is if we have a vote on a draft order system while people know their draft order , they aren't choosing between the real options but between changing or keeping their current draft position , which destroys the purpose of the poll altogether.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009

Yep, that's another good reason.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
You clearly missed my point entirely , I never doubted the honesty of Spitfire or even VanI (for the specific process of this year's draft order).

What I'm saying is if we have a vote on a draft order system while people know their draft order , they aren't choosing between the real options but between changing or keeping their current draft position , which destroys the purpose of the poll altogether.

I agree. We're better off finalizing the rules before picking a draft order.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Why can't we have a vote to keep the already determined draft order??

I believe Jafar outlined a good reason above.

It was hastily done between two people had no real merit or mandate.

Should have had the rules outlined before enforcing a draft order.

I think there are clearly plenty of reasons why that order shouldn't mean anything.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, despite having the #1 pick if we stick with the current draft order; I'm all for us doing another random draft order should Option 1 win. As was said that order was done way to quick. Let's let this poll play out and then sometime early this week we'll do another random draft order and take things from there. While it means I may miss out on drafting Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky or whoever at least I'll know the draft order was done fairly.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
I believe Jafar outlined a good reason above.

It was hastily done between two people had no real merit or mandate.

Should have had the rules outlined before enforcing a draft order.

I think there are clearly plenty of reasons why that order shouldn't mean anything.

Why can't we vote on it though? Nobody opposed it at the time? They did it the same way its done every year. I don't understand the "it was hastly done" arguement. It was the same as every year. Just create a vote?

If other gm's think it wasn't done properly they can vote to have a redo. Its the only fair option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad