Referees: How to deal with the Ref/Linesman

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
In my experience, flipping out on them after a terrible call is not the right way to deal with refs/linesman.

It only happened once but by god was it a terrible call and it cost us the game too.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Always call the referee 'Sir' and always ask a question rather than make a statement to them. That gets them thinking about their call, avoids them going on the defensive, overreacting or upping the ante and can get or keep them onside.

I have walked a fine line on a number of occasions with some skirmishes or get squares, but have always shown respect to any referee afterwards; and been treated pretty leniently by them as a result.

Getting in their faces never changed any call.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Way to lump us all in that category together there buddy. When I started officiating I was just a kid who loved the game and I wanted to be involved in any way possible and I didn't think I could make it as a player.

I'm assuming you play beer league, those traits you describe are the reason they are stuck doing beer league games in the first place.
That is why they ref beer league and not travel hockey , college, or professional games. A lot of beer league refs in my experiences really don't care. They are just there to collect their check and try to finish the game as soon as possible. There are a few good refs, but a lot of them honestly just show up grab some beers at the bar in the rink before the game . Then when all games are over collect their cash at the end of of the night. I feel bad for the beer league refs who actually try to do their job, and get stuck with the I don't give a d*** refs.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Always call the referee 'Sir' and always ask a question rather than make a statement to them. That gets them thinking about their call, avoids them going on the defensive, overreacting or upping the ante and can get or keep them onside.

I have walked a fine line on a number of occasions with some skirmishes or get squares, but have always shown respect to any referee afterwards; and been treated pretty leniently by them as a result.

Getting in their faces never changed any call.

I don't think "sir" is necessary. I think as long as you are respectful and ASK about a call and not TELL them about the call, they treat you pretty well.

Of course my experience is with refs who are my age or younger.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I don't think 'Sir' in the context of addressing a referee has much to do with age, being younger or ordinarily being appropriate or not off ice, but rather affording them a degree of respect or acknowledgment that they are in charge, similar to being pulled over for speeding. If you don't address the cop as 'Sir' and instead say something like 'what did you stop me for pig'? The call's going to go against you; and more than likely next time too.

The respect is more often than not reciprocated, so if you want to influence the referee or find them more favourable, it's the way to go; or at least the opposite is the wrong way to go.

keysersoze98

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Typical player/ref conversation, at least for HS and below...

Player: That was hooking.
Ref: Ok, line up.
Player: I'm just asking you a question.
Ref: That wasn't a question though.
Player: ....... :rolly:

:laugh::laugh:

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
'Hey ref, what would you do if I called you a cheating ar$eh0le'?

'I'd eject you'

'Well what would you do if I just thought you were a cheating ar$eh0le'?

'Well, hey, I can't do anything about what you think'

'Well okay then ref, I think you're a cheating ar$eh0le'!

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
I had a goal called off the other night(eh Wils?). The ref near the play called it a good goal. Then the other ref (who was way behind the play) comes over and said "it went off his skate". Whistled it no goal.

Mind you, the pass did hit my skate(it was passed a little behind me). However, I clearly regained control of the puck, and lifted the puck right between the goalies pad, and glove(mind you it was just myself and the goalie, nobody else was around on the 2-1).

I wasn't overly happy with how the whole thing went down, but just kept my mouth shut. It was early in the game, and if he was that bad at reffing, who knows what else would have unfolded had I made a point of it.

Refereeing is hit or miss. Overall, its really not that bad in one of the two leagues I play in.

wils5150

Mar 19, 2014
massachusetts
I had a goal called off the other night(eh Wils?). The ref near the play called it a good goal. Then the other ref (who was way behind the play) comes over and said "it went off his skate". Whistled it no goal.

Mind you, the pass did hit my skate(it was passed a little behind me). However, I clearly regained control of the puck, and lifted the puck right between the goalies pad, and glove(mind you it was just myself and the goalie, nobody else was around on the 2-1).

I wasn't overly happy with how the whole thing went down, but just kept my mouth shut. It was early in the game, and if he was that bad at reffing, who knows what else would have unfolded had I made a point of it.

Refereeing is hit or miss. Overall, its really not that bad in one of the two leagues I play in.

yeah that was strange we all lined up for the face off and the 2 refs are in deep thought nobody was questioning the goal except 1 ref. they had some strange calls all night at 1 point both refs were arguing over where a face off should be.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
I'm a level one ref in USA hockey. I took the corse August 30th and I am waiting for my license to come in the mail. I have not done a game yet. Any advice from any of the more experienced officials? I will be starting out with the cross ice mites and hopefully will do squirts later this year.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
I'm a level one ref in USA hockey. I took the corse August 30th and I am waiting for my license to come in the mail. I have not done a game yet. Any advice from any of the more experienced officials? I will be starting out with the cross ice mites and hopefully will do squirts later this year.

When you go to a game that you're not working, but as a spectator, watch the more experienced officials. That's how I learned and it paid off for me. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask them.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
When you go to a game that you're not working, but as a spectator, watch the more experienced officials. That's how I learned and it paid off for me. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask them.

Will be sure to do that. I live in te Suburbs of NY, and will be seeing some of the games between some USHL teams at the Atlantic challange at twin rinks.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

Well, in USA Hockey, the rules on goals in off skates are a bit more strict (in the NHL you can deliberately redirect a puck into the goal off your skate if there's no "kicking motion", however this is illegal in amateur rules). But, yeah, that sounds like it was a good goal. No idea why he would wave it off.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Hockey in the DC area is expanding rapidly, and we don't have a stable of experienced refs to keep up. The result is that the quality of reffing is going down pretty quickly. I'm always happy when I show up to a game and see a good ref I recognize, but even then, the vets are now commonly paired with either idiots or people with very little experience.

It has gotten very frustrating. As a sometimes captain, I really appreciate the refs who will talk to us in a calm, even tone, and explain their calls. Most of them though take any challenge or request for explanation as an insult, and will give me a 5-second response, at most, which is usually delivered in a snide or hostile tone.

So yeah, things are getting worse around here.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai

Like what mbhhofr said, just watch some games at that level. You can learn loads.

Another thing to keep in mind that reffing the youngsters is not like reffing adults. You have to approach things more openly and spend more time... coaching the kids on why they did something wrong than adults. Explaining why they got an infraction is more useful at these stages.

Also learn patience and how to deal with the parents. They can be abusive, mean, rude and sometimes violent. You will need to control your emotions and stay level.

I would recommend on your first game, or any game for that matter, to introduce yourself to both coaches before the puck drop. Introduce yourself and clearly state what you expect from the game. If you show these people some confidence and a clear expectation of the game, they will reciprocate your professionalism and you will have an easier time. If you just warm up and ignore the benches, you will loose the support of the coaches and you will be worked and used all game.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
LLast problem i had with a ref, i was being charged into all game, my guys were getting cheap shots, no calls though i complained all night, and we were being called for their guys losing edges more than a few times, playoff game..i spit on the guy mostly for not stopping the physical crap. I got suspended for the rest of thes season we were just got screwed out of anyway. Havent seen him since. **** him.

Mostly why i just stick to open hockey anymore.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
i spit on the guy mostly for not stopping the physical crap. I got suspended for the rest of thes season we were just got screwed out of anyway.

I really hope you mean that you metaphorically spit on him and not actually spit on him because if you actually spit on him that's A - disgusting and B - unbelievably childish.
my league would toss you for life for something like that.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Like what mbhhofr said, just watch some games at that level. You can learn loads.

Another thing to keep in mind that reffing the youngsters is not like reffing adults. You have to approach things more openly and spend more time... coaching the kids on why they did something wrong than adults. Explaining why they got an infraction is more useful at these stages.

Also learn patience and how to deal with the parents. They can be abusive, mean, rude and sometimes violent. You will need to control your emotions and stay level.

I would recommend on your first game, or any game for that matter, to introduce yourself to both coaches before the puck drop. Introduce yourself and clearly state what you expect from the game. If you show these people some confidence and a clear expectation of the game, they will reciprocate your professionalism and you will have an easier time. If you just warm up and ignore the benches, you will loose the support of the coaches and you will be worked and used all game.

Thanks for your advice, ZajacsShakes.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
LLast problem i had with a ref, i was being charged into all game, my guys were getting cheap shots, no calls though i complained all night, and we were being called for their guys losing edges more than a few times, playoff game..i spit on the guy mostly for not stopping the physical crap. I got suspended for the rest of thes season we were just got screwed out of anyway. Havent seen him since. **** him.

Mostly why i just stick to open hockey anymore.

Probably lucky you didn't get the **** beat out of you for that....

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
i do my best to play hard, keep my game as honest as possible and to respect both teams and the refs out there....so far its worked rather well in my dealings with the refs. as the OP mentioned, tone of voice is everything. if youre wailing like a banshee on the bench chances are youve moved your way onto the ref's ****list, same goes for throwing your hands up in the air or whining after a missed call. the refs are humans and theyre going to miss calls, just play your game and let them do their jobs. shaking the ref's hands after each game is a big respect earner, too

neksys

Jun 24, 2009
I usually just keep my trap shut when it comes to the refs. There is literally nothing I can say that can change what has always happened.

However, tone of voice is key. Last night I was getting chicken-winged pretty hard by a guy in the corner. I tried to yank my stick free, we both fell, and suddenly I'm sitting in the penalty box for tripping.

On my way by I just said "Hey, just a heads up, keep your eye on that guy, he was holding my stick the whole time." Calm and civil, no raised voice, not even slowing down on my way by.

Next time the chicken-wing is fighting in the corner he gets a penalty for holding.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00