How To: Cheap, but BIG shooting/stick handling board. (Homemade)

SCBruCrew4

Dec 5, 2011
Boston, Ma
Hey guys,

Now I am fairly new to these forums but figured I'd share a little knowledge of something I found to be useful.

So as I was perusing my YouTube channels I came across a video for making a home made shooting board. Now there was little information on what board they used to make this pad, so I did a little research myself. It turns out that if you go to Lowes/Home Depot and buy a 1/8" DPI 4x8ft Panel Hardboard, you can turn it into a shooting pad with some Pledge (or other brand) of furniture polish...for literally a whopping total of $15 +/- on your locval prices. I live in Massachusetts and found the panelling itself for $12 and I bought the Target brand furniture polish for probably $3-4. I laid the board down and spayed liberally with the polish and then rubbed it in with a paper towel. I also used the extra that was on the paper towel to clean the puck as well. Then I threw the puck down and proceeded with practicing passes with my 5 year old son in the basement (which was nice cause it was raining out)

All in all, there is little you need to actually do. Just go out and buy the stuff. You could cut the board too if you didn't have space for a 4x8ft board in your house. So far it's been very durable for passes and stickhandling. Don't know how it would hold up to slappers and snappers but I'd imagine not too bad if going half speed/strength.

Links here for both the board and video I found. I will also post up my own video/pics in the next couple days.

Feel free to ask questions!

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=16605-46498-300&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3015239&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28c7-e6xcxc

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Yeah, as long as your board is sitting on solid concrete and not on some wood patio (like mine), slappers are fine.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
A few tips:
1. Have the hardware store cut it for you if smaller sheets will help. I get mine cut into three 4' x 2.66' sheets which are a lot more mobile yet still large enough to shoot off of fine. You might keep it the original 8'x4' size for stickhandling practice though.
2. If you have to shoot off a soft or uneven surface (grass or whatnot) you can buy a sheet of plywood and staple it to underside of the thrifty white board to make it a little stronger and they take slappers fine.
3. If you need a cheap netting to shoot at look for 'impact' fish netting on Ebay. A 12' x 25' net cost me $40 shipped, not bad. Link to one ebay store with netting.

I also use B'laster Silicone Lube. About $4 for an aerosol can that'll last awhile. Makes it SUPER slick. Not sure how it compares to Pledge.

My original setup:
by1y.jpg

Last edited:

SCBruCrew4

Dec 5, 2011
Boston, Ma
A few tips:
1. Have the hardware store cut it for you if smaller sheets will help. I get mine cut into three 4' x 2.66' sheets which are a lot more mobile yet still large enough to shoot off of fine. You might keep it the original 8'x4' size for stickhandling practice though.
2. If you have to shoot off a soft or uneven surface (grass or whatnot) you can buy a sheet of plywood and staple it to underside of the thrifty white board to make it a little stronger and they take slappers fine.
3. If you need a cheap netting to shoot at look for 'impact' fish netting on Ebay. A 12' x 25' net cost me $40 shipped, not bad. Link to one ebay store with netting.

I also use B'laster Silicone Lube. About $4 for an aerosol can that'll last awhile. Makes it SUPER slick. Not sure how it compares to Pledge.

My original setup:
by1y.jpg

All good tips. To put in perspective of how well Pledge works, I used it for one application and after two uses the puck still slides perfect. It should be noted I do wipe a little on the puck's surface as well.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I know this is three years old, but maybe someone has the information I am seeking anyway. I remember quite some time ago, I used an old wooden shelf board that we had lying around at home as a shooting board. Actually put some oil on it instead of polish and it worked amazingly well. Now to the problem. Have you not found them to be extremely loud when you do stick handling and keep knocking your stick on wood? I guess it doesn't matter if you live somewhere out of the way. But other people in my house (if I use it inside), as well as neighbours (if I use it outside), would find that quite annoying.

So basically, what I am looking for is something that's a little more quiet. Is there a kind of wood that has a rather dull sound (may be a silly question) or do you have alternatives that work equally well, while not being as loud?

Thanks a lot in advance!

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
No, but maybe I'll try that, thanks. I guess everything is somewhat noisy and you can't do silent stick handling.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
anyone recommend nice netting to use? i wanna set one up in my garage and then spraypaint a goal outline to practice my shots. and how big of a net should i get? would something like 10 by 20 feet work?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad