How to build a roster for success in modern NHL? What is GM's primary objective in current NHL era

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I have had an opinion as to what a GM is supposed to do. Ice a roster in a salary cap that is competitive not only in the regular season but also in the playoffs.

Sure the objective is to win the CUP; but how can one go about winning the CUP in the modern era?

In the playoffs when time and space is hardly available; regular season success by some high octane offensive players do not necessarily translate into post season production.

I am a Leafs fan and have been called out by many posters on the Leafs board for calling out Dubas for his lack of foresight and not icing a competitive roster IMO

There was also an article that was written calling out Dubas' offseason moves
Mike Babcock may be set up for a fall after Kyle Dubas’ uninspiring summer | The Star

I am wondering what is the primary role of a GM now (not just Dubas) but in general when RFAs are demanding large salaries (i.e. cap hits); how does a GM react to this shift while continue to ice a competitive roster?

The goal of this thread is not just Dubas bashing or Dubas love fest; it is about how in general can GMs behave in this current NHL where RFAs are demanding UFA money; can the youth be trusted enough to lead the team for glory while experienced NHLers' time does not count? Is veteran NHL experience not as valued now as it used to be?

Does skill alone win the cup or allow you to go deep in the playoffs? Or is it more work ethic i.e. will before skill that gives you post season success? example: CBJ sweeping the bolts, Isles sweeping the Pens i.e. hard working teams sweeping skilled teams; Blues winning the cup - Blues had more work ethic than high octane skilled offensive players.

If the high octane offensive players take a large bit out of your cap can they deliver post season success? How should a GM act in modern NHL?

Should the GMs be open to paying high AAVs to their RFAs because that is the way forward for success in the modern NHL? or is NHL vet experience move valued in the post season?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Managing the tough balance of building for long term sustainable success while trying to build the best possible team at any one time too.

Realizing where you’re st as a team and making good decisions based on that information.

Making shrewd moves to improve your team

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Getting to the playoffs as much as possible. Hard to fire a GM who's team consistently makes the playoffs. Odds of winning a cup are fairly low, most GMs wouldn't have a job if that was the requirement

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Getting to the playoffs,long-term and short-term, should be the number one goal.

To date, there is no proven formula to win the Stanley cup.
Many have done it with skill,
many have lost with skill.
Vice versa, some have done it with grit balance,
many have lost that way as well.

Getting to the playoffs year after year gives you the best chance to win a cup, as your players get hungrier and more determined.
Building a team for long and short term success is the only thing a GM has to do, but that'd obviously easier said than done.

Equinsu Ocha

Oct 21, 2017
Winston Salem, NC
6wLLGg-5.jpg

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Building a team for long term contention is the ultimate goal.

There’s a reason why Doug Wilson is the second longest tenured GM in the league.

The Sharks are an example of a team that has been a long term contender, multiple WCF appearances and a SCF appearance.

Wilson gave them a chance to win the Cup several times. He also transitioned from a core revolving around Thornton and Marleau to a core revolving around Pavelski and Couture.

A good GM doesn’t try to all-in for the playoffs, a good GM’s goal is to build a lasting foundation that will allow the team to be elite for many years, part of this includes recognizing when your current core’s window has closed and successfully transitioning into a rebuild where you sell off your assets for picks and prospects.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Sign your elite players to decent deals then find ELC players to fill the holes. Don't go all out to try and win a specific season - just get to the playoffs as much as possible and hope to get lucky.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Identify or find a small core of players to build around, treat everyone else as expendable and actively seek out upgrades on these players whenever possible.

The core should ideally involve at least one top line two-way center and a top pairing defenseman. If you have neither, scrap everything and start from scratch.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If the RFAs are demanding high AAVs how can GMs tackle that? If the RFAs take a big portion of the cap how can GMs built a competitive team around that?

Looking at the cup finalists in the recent past:

2018-2019: Blues and Bruins
2017-2018: Caps and VGK* (expansion team may be an outlier)
2016-2017: Pens and Preds
2015-2016: Pens and Sharks
2014-2015: Hawks and Bolts
2013-2014: Kings and Rangers

I would argue none of these teams had paid a significant amount of cap to their RFAs (except perhaps Kane and Toews) and had a competitive rosters to compete and made cup finals.

Is the mordern NHL era shifting? If yes - how do GMs adapt in this modern era where RFAs want to be paid like superstars?

RFAs were more often than not cost controlled so that the teams can make use of these cost controlled assets after having rebuilt their team to have a window of success until either teams:

A) paid their RFAs big money when they become UFAs (retain services)
or
B) let the pending UFAs walk or trade for rebuilding

but after the rebuild the window was: ELC years + RFA years i.e. approximately 6 to 7 years

But now that RFAs are getting paid UFA money (or even more) what is the window now?

Is there a league wide shift? If not; how do GMs negotiate with RFAs on their team when few teams offer humoungous contracts to their RFAs but other teams still try to play by the old rules to have cost controlled assets i.e. having a window of 6 to 7 years to try and win the cup?

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Nail the draft(s), don't fall in love with particular players but retain your best "winners" as much as you can, instill a strong locker room environment, encourage the team to like each other (helps retention & morale), don't load up/blow your wad on just a couple players/positions & leave a glaring weakness(es).

With the above done, you give yourself a shot every year and hope the puck bounces your way, which is what happens to basically every team that wins the cup. The more kicks at the can you have the more likely things will break your way.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
there's a tried and true formula, but getting there is not so simple

1) Build with quality C's and PMD
2) Have a solid goaltending duo
3) invest heavily in scouting to:

a) find hidden gems and overseas pros
b) a constant pipeline of cheap prospects who can step in as players age

think of the Belichick philosophy ...build down the middle --QB and an O line to protect that investment - (so D/C/G) equivalent in hockey and do NOT fall in love with overpriced vets looking for big paydays as they begin their declines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad