The Naki
I know how I'd play us

Get physical
Turn the game into an arm wrestle
Clog the neutral zone
Apply pressure on the forecheck
Sweat on mistakes
Get into the Leafs zone and cycle the puck down low

We can skill our way out of a lot of situations but as I've watched us I do think if your willing to get physical and grind down low long enough good things will happen for you

Reactions: AreBe

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Once again discussion is a double edge sword. Is it actually Babcock who is an experienced coach with a respectable resume or is it the players who cant execute? A lot of the players dont have grit, emotion or passion and just seem to be there without a clue what the hell is going on around them. They aren't buying into the system? They turned there backs on Babcock? Something internally or drama in the dressing room? Who knows but I wish I can definately smack a couple players up the side of the head.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Game plan vs. Matthews' line: double team Matthews because he is usually playing with at least one plug who is not a threat in the offensive zone.

Teams have been doing it for a while now.

What type of. solution would you suggest?

He's bang on. Watch how teams are jumping on him as soon as he's loading up for a shot. They can do that because they know the option to pass is very unlikely. There's no threat. The last 2 seasons Nylander opened up space for Matthews and vice versa. Now there's no one to do that. Kapanen was doing a good job of it early on but that isn't happening lately and Mikey seems to be lost on his line combinations.
Honestly as much as people will hate it I think it's best to keep Nylander with Matthews and hope they both catch fire and resemble the line of the past 2 seasons because right now Matthews line is quite easy to match up against.

Reactions: The Cobra

RLF

May 5, 2014
More like what is wrong with the Leafs.

1. Stretch pass - I have stated for a long time now my dislike of the commitment to the stretch pass. It only works when teams are not hanging back trying to defend and counter off of it. When they do this, the stretch pass is basically a giveaway and allow teams to attack us while we are heading in the wrong direction. Our D is now flat footed and have to retreat and give up the blue line. Otherwise D can try and step up like Dermott does at times, but that usually ends up a bad play.
2. Lack of in game adjustments - for one, it should not take until the 3rd period to realize they are sitting back on the stretch pass and it isn't working. Have more than one breakout play. The D are taking the heat here, but the forwards are giving them no choice but to fire it up for a long pass. Have one guy up at the other blue line, one circling at centre and one coming back for a short pass to hit the neutral zone with speed.
3. Not hard enough to play against - We are an easy night for most teams physically. Too many flyby's by too many players. There is still some need to "finish a check." Engaging physically can cause d-men to move the puck quickly and make mistakes. He is also now not an option anymore after he moves the puck. We try to anticipate and pick off the puck or poke and stick check. Players have realized to just be patient with the puck, they are unlikely to be hit and if you are patient a lane will open.
4. Predictable PP - We always run the PP off the right wall. Both units. Our D-men are not PP quarterbacks, they are just kind of there and serve little purpose on the PP. The few times we change up where we run it from, we get looks. Guys are too stationary and it is now way too easy to defend.
5. Not enough intensity - We play with a lack of intensity by too many players. Other teams are hard on our D, but we are rarely hard on their's. This is a personel and/or coaching issue, I believe. Either the players are refusing to play "heavier" and Babcock can't get through to them, or they are just not internally programmed to do so and refuse.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad