"How To Beat My Team" (a.k.a Team Weaknesses Thread)

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Pretend you're the coach of your favourite team's opponent in these playoffs.

Devise a strategy to win.

My team: Leafs.

Caps should avoid taking penalties. Play our defence very physical (especially Gardiner). Shoot high on Andersen. Intimidate the young kids after the whistle. Choke the Leafs' speed through the neutral zone. Watch out for pass-backs on the power play.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I'm guessing Carlyle will say just show up to the arena and the Honda curse will take care of itself.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Plan to beat the Oilers; hook, hold, and interfere just short of getting a penalty. Anaheim and LA were the best at it this year, watch the tapes and learn from those vets.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
With Krug out, we have the worst defence in the playoffs. It's Chara and five bottom pairing guys without a single proven puck carrier. Ottawa's neutral zone strategy should work like a charm here.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lots of whistles. The Flames seems to struggle when there is no flow to the game.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Sharks fans: how do you stop Burns?

You don't, let him do his thing and take advantage of Martin who will be defending all by himself.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Capitals defense is kind of slow, so play quick and forecheck/backcheck fast and you'll create some chances, like the Pens did last year. As for our offence, if you can hold us up at the blue line and make us dump it in you could greatly damage our 2nd/3rd line, like the Pens did last year. Holtby is... I don't know. And don't take penalties.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As a Pens fan, it's easy.

When healthy, the easiest way to beat the Penguins is to keep pushing them with the "extra" stuff and to counter their speed with speed and dump it deep and make the Pens defense chase. Basically that last part is to be the Pens at their best, to beat the Pens.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Flames: Lack of flow in the game, and take as many shots that causes rebounds because we are terrible at preventing secondary chances and Elliott is very prone to weak puck tracking and giving up a lot of chances.

Preds: Take as many shots as possible, as the Preds have trouble with preventing initial chances and Rinne is relatively weak especially on high danger initial chances. But don't expect many secondary chances as Rinne is one of the best puck freezers in the league and the Preds D is among one of the best puck clearing defense.

Blues: Just prevent us from generating any sort of offense.

Sens: See above.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
With Krug out, we have the worst defence in the playoffs. It's Chara and five bottom pairing guys without a single proven puck carrier. Ottawa's neutral zone strategy should work like a charm here.

Selling your defense short huh?

Chara, Carlo, McQuaid, We're the Miller's, etc...it's not entirely bad. I mean hey, we don't have Letang anymore and we'll see Maatta and Daley attempt to get back into form in the playoffs of all places. We feel your pain. Boston is also the 4th best team for Goals Against in the playoffs in the East, I think tied for 8th out of all playoff teams. That's no joke.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hawk fan here.

Hawks have NO weaknesses.

Will squish all comers.

:hockey::fence::wbrew:

Hawks weakness is their strength. They play a 5 man unit, meaning if you can counter their offense then you have to realize they don't play very individually when they defend, thus it's your best chance to hurt them. Crawford also bleeds chances like candy.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Selling your defense short huh?

Chara, Carlo, McQuaid, We're the Miller's, etc...it's not entirely bad. I mean hey, we don't have Letang anymore and we'll see Maatta and Daley attempt to get back into form in the playoffs of all places. We feel your pain. Boston is also the 4th best team for Goals Against in the playoffs in the East, I think tied for 8th out of all playoff teams. That's no joke.

Bruins have the 2nd best 2-way forward depth in the league behind Anaheim.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Edmonton: play it rough with McDavid. I'm not saying the refs are against us or anything, but I've seen some players get away with some iffy calls, thing is, McDavid is going to score, but playing "good clean defence" won't work and he'll only score more.

We honestly don't have a major flaw to exploit, solid defense, our offence is clicking, solid goaltending. I will say outside of Our main scorers our secondary scoring has shown that they can get limited. If you do that and our depth isn't able to step up you can minimize our offensive threat.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Fun thread idea, even though it is common for many players to completely turn seasons around for better or worse, making team identity change.

Keeping in mind, changes are possible, here's what to do to beat the Habs:

1. Break the rules, whenever you need to. Go ahead!

This is the most important. The Habs powerplay is a total mess. I'm not just talking about PP percentage here. It's worse than any statistics could indicate as this powerplay can't generate any momentum, any sense of urgency in opponents.

Being down a man against the Habs often just feels and plays out like a regular 5 on 5.

So feel free to slow the Habs down by hooking, obstruction, wrist taps.. everything. Taking a penalty is not going to even change the momentum most of the time.

It's even better if you take those penalties in Montreal, as this gets the crowds here angry very, very quickly. Pound on those Habs players in the first period, then rule during your PK and watch the crowd turn on them early in the game.

2. Skate, tire them

I think it should be emphasized that the Habs trademark has changed. They're not a "fast but weak" team anymore. You may not be able to fly easily past Weber but if you dump it deep and then cycle the puck, you will tire the first D pairing. It's not just a defensive thing either. They're all-around slower than they used to. Plekanec has lost another step and Radulov is a nice skilled addition but his skating is atrocious, his conditionning suspect and he is undisciplined enough to get caught out there with nothing left in the tank. Players like Flynn, Mitchell seem on the way out in favor of grittier, slower players like King, Ott, McCarron, etc...

3. Bonus no brainer: beat Price

Price is always a potential league MVP. He's one of those special players who can always make a difference. He's doing great right now but he has been rattled earlier this season. Find ways to obstruct his view, maybe even intimidate him physically (remember rule #1, you can get away with it !)

Exploit Beaulieu's and Petry's utter lack of balls to put the pressure in the D-zone.

All that being said, remember :

The Habs are a quality team, with several potential heroes each and every game. Lots of players on this team can make a difference. They also have decent depth and can adjust quickly the next game by changing lots of elements.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Get the series to game 7

Serious answer:

Be patient and outplay them in 5v5. Don't let them throw you off your game and try to not respond to their antics.
If the game gets too chippy, chances are they are going to win against you.

But if you just keep your cool and weather the storm, the Ducks will probably defeat themselves with stupid penalties or Bieksa being Bieksa.

Also, with Fowler out and Lindholm not being at 100%, the Ducks' defensemen are very vulnerable. Especially the bottom pairing will not be too playoff-proven and probably will be nervous. Try to pressure them as much as possible.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Plan to beat the Oilers; hook, hold, and interfere just short of getting a penalty. Anaheim and LA were the best at it this year, watch the tapes and learn from those vets.

Oilers will counter by playing high effort pump your legs type hockey where if you hook, hold, interfere they'll either fight through it or draw a penalty getting McDavids deadly PP on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00