How to add excitement to watching games live?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
How about banning phones while you're in your seat?

Let me get this straight, technology is destroying the atmosphere at the games.

If you need to make a phone call or text message, you would have to go out in the hallway and do so. If the rule is broken, then there would be some sort of punishment but haven't thought what it would be.

Thoughts?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
And how would that make hockey more exciting? Do you really think if anyone stops texting or calling, that hockey will be more exciting for the the person beside them?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
OP would have a legitimate point about suits and corporations buying too many seats in some arenas.(Toronto) Thus taking away seats from the diehard fans.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
How about banning phones while you're in your seat?

Let me get this straight, technology is destroying the atmosphere at the games.

If you need to make a phone call or text message, you would have to go out in the hallway and do so. If the rule is broken, then there would be some sort of punishment but haven't thought what it would be.

Thoughts?

LOL phonecalls maybe but maybe watch the game and not the fans and you'll be more excited by the game.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Meh, seems to me the OP has a bigger problem with not paying attention than those with the phones, as he's too busy looking for those on phones instead of the game in front of him.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I like this idea.

To enforce the rule, they should sound the goal horn every time a lower bowl fan picks up their phone. Talk about excitement!

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
But the OP also started a thread to get rid of said horns, so that would be a no go... :laugh:

Well the goal horn thread he said they were boring and could be replaced with something else. So instead of a horn play a generic text message ringtone throughout the arena

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
If your able to be so easily distracted form the hockey game then maybe the problem is the game itself(or you) and not the guy texting beside you.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
But the OP also started a thread to get rid of said horns, so that would be a no go... :laugh:

He also suggested that instead of goal horns, have the entire arena go dark and have a flashing light on the opposing goalie. It would add to the fun of humiliating the opposing goalie if just beyond the blinding flashing light, he saw the eerie faces of hundreds of fans faintly illuminated by their smartphones.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He also suggested that instead of goal horns, have the entire arena go dark and have a flashing light on the opposing goalie. It would add to the fun of humiliating the opposing goalie if just beyond the blinding flashing light, he saw the eerie faces of hundreds of fans faintly illuminated by their smartphones.

I also just noticed the OP also started the midfielder thread...wanting to create a new position on the ice called a midfielder that has new responsibilities that no other position has, even though his description of the position is exactly that of what a center already does.

I think we've learned a lot about the OP from these three threads.

I think instead of the suggested changes, the OP should concentrate on the game itself as not watching the game whilst looking for those on phones has really limited his understanding of the sport in general.

Probably spending too much time on his own phone.

hossua34

Mutt
Apr 7, 2003
Irvine, CA
Sure, at the same time let's scale the league back to 6-8 teams and move those teams into arenas that seat about 8,000 people. Because you'd be effectively banning all but die-hard fans from NHL rinks. Look for big player salary cuts too, since most of the casual fans who mess around on their phones at games are also the richer ones who can afford to pay more for tickets.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
OP you get to watch Patrick Kane live, if that's not exciting enough than I don't know what to tell you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00