How the Wings stack up in height, weight, and age

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Cool article came out on the athletic about sizing up the NHL by averages.

Oldest: Minnesota 28.9
Avg: 27.1
Wings 27.2 -- 18th youngest

Height:
Tallest: Winnipeg 74.4"
Shortest: Montreal 71.9"
Avg: 73.2"
Wings 73.0 - tie for 22nd tallest

Weight:
Heaviest: New York Islanders 208.7 lbs
Lightest: 189.5 Montreal
Avg: 199.3lbs
Wings 196.5 -- 24th heaviest

Draft Position
Best: Buffalo 26.1
Worst: San Jose 82.6
Avg: 58th
Wings 61.5 -- 19th best

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Pretty interesting. Was there any info on who they're including?
Is it the 34 year old 6'4 Ercisson?
or the 22 year old 5'6 Hicketts?
or both?

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Pretty interesting. Was there any info on who they're including?
Is it the 34 year old 6'4 Ercisson?
or the 22 year old 5'6 Hicketts?
or both?

Doesn't say explicitly but from the following quote I think it might be players that have actually played this year? Which would skew our age badly if all of our old guys played!

Six hundred and twenty-seven players appeared in NHL action as of Monday’s games, giving us more than enough sample size to dig into and look at how teams stack up by various basic demographic figures.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Would be nice to see data of Total Ice-Time/Age. Or points/Age. Or Total Ice-time x Size etc. etc.

Not just players counted. Should show what teams are really carried by youth or who have big guys logging huge minutes.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
The Red Wings being small isn't anything new. People can make the argument of size vs skill all they want but anyone I know that has played professionally all take size. But that's just guys that got a nice sized paycheck doing something we all wish we could / could have done.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The Red Wings being small isn't anything new. People can make the argument of size vs skill all they want but anyone I know that has played professionally all take size. But that's just guys that got a nice sized paycheck doing something we all wish we could / could have done.

Size is nice if you use it...not everybody does. Watch Vanek. One heck of a big body but earns his money by standing in front of the net deflecting shots. Of course his size helps him there, too but it's not like he ever actively used it to his advantage.
Smaller guys like Hicketts or Glendening however are constantly running over anything that moves.

Another example would be Brock Boeser. Added some weight over the summer and turned into a crap player. Weight doesn't help if you're unable to use it. I like big players, too but only those able to use their weight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad