How the ratings work: a Jagr reminder

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
As free agency approaches I thought it was worth mentioning - as I've been fielding a lot of questions about it - how our ratings work in the HFNHL. We take the last three seasons of a players stats and create ratings from them. That should leave you able to determine what Jagr's ratings will be like this season. :p:

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Not just the last three NHL seasons - after all, Jagr's last three NHL seasons were pretty good. Rather, it's the three most recent seasons, period. Since only NHL performance contributes to ratings, a player who spent the past three seasons out of the NHL will effectively have no ratings for the coming HfNHL season.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
last year Hudler didnt get rated like that at all.

3 seasons Alvaro.

Hudler was out of the NHL for 1 year leaving 2 NHL seasons to base his ratings on. Jagr has been out of the NHL for 3 years leaving no NHL performance to base his ratings on.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
last year Hudler didnt get rated like that at all.

Yes, he did. Hudler had spent the 2009-10 season in the KHL, which in our weighted performance calculation brought his ratings down significantly. But he had been in the NHL the two previous seasons, so he did have some legitimate ratings to work with.

Jagr has been in the KHL and Czech leagues the past three years, so he has no NHL games in the past three years on which to base any ratings.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
so what kind of ratings will he get???

I GOT HUDLER RATED LIKE A GUY THAT PLAY ON ONE LEG 64 overeall ???

Last edited:

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
so what kind of ratings will he get???

I GOT HUDLER RATED LIKE A GUY THAT PLAY ON ONE LEG 64 overeall ???

So Hudler got ratings like he played on one leg with two nhl seasons. Jagr hasn't played any season in the last three years that means he's gonna get rated like he has no legs, no hands, no arms, and no brain. In other words his ratings will be somewhere between unusable and non existent. If you don't understand that then bid 4 years and 8 mil per year I'm sure he'll be worth it. :shakehead

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Doug already answered that...

I'd expect unuseable ratings.

I was under the assumpption that the ratings for players away from NHL will be based on his previous 3 years ratings with some modification given due to his age and expectation. It makes no sense to rate Jagr similar to players coming out of minors.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Yes, he did. Hudler had spent the 2009-10 season in the KHL, which in our weighted performance calculation brought his ratings down significantly. But he had been in the NHL the two previous seasons, so he did have some legitimate ratings to work with.

Jagr has been in the KHL and Czech leagues the past three years, so he has no NHL games in the past three years on which to base any ratings.

I can see his scoring and passing rating being down but how can we justify his leadership and experience ratings to be significantly low.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
So Hudler got ratings like he played on one leg with two nhl seasons. Jagr hasn't played any season in the last three years that means he's gonna get rated like he has no legs, no hands, no arms, and no brain. In other words his ratings will be somewhere between unusable and non existent. If you don't understand that then bid 4 years and 8 mil per year I'm sure he'll be worth it. :shakehead

SO this Jagr guy, don't really exist .......:sarcasm: ok ok :nod:

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
This is something I anticipated, which is why I released Jagr's rights (and his $8M price tag) last year... after so many years out of the NHL, you can't expect star quality ratings...

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
The rules are the rules and I don't see why Jagr gets an exception. We rate the way we rate - the same way for all players.

There isn't even a way to make an exception for Jagr. We don't rate players based on expected performance, and he has no relevant track record in that three year window. I like our odds of predicting Gabriel Landeskog's season better than Jagr's.

I'm sure if a team signs him and wants to challenge one rating or another they can, but the ratings system doesn't provide for exceptions.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It will be so strange to see Jagr sporting a 65-68 OVR rating if not worse. Perhaps the best european scorer ever to play the game.

What did Mario look like when he came out of retirement? I bet that was a beauty to handle.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
There isn't even a way to make an exception for Jagr. We don't rate players based on expected performance, and he has no relevant track record in that three year window. I like our odds of predicting Gabriel Landeskog's season better than Jagr's.

leave landeskog out of this

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
It will be so strange to see Jagr sporting a 65-68 OVR rating if not worse. Perhaps the best european scorer ever to play the game.

What did Mario look like when he came out of retirement? I bet that was a beauty to handle.

Make that an OV of about 49 for Jagr.

We were on a different sim back in the days that Lemieux returned after being gone for 3 years. He returned in 2000-01 and he wasn't actually rated in HFNHL until the 2001-02 season.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Make that an OV of about 49 for Jagr.

We were on a different sim back in the days that Lemieux returned after being gone for 3 years. He returned in 2000-01 and he wasn't actually rated in HFNHL until the 2001-02 season.

That is pure insanity in my opinion. Would the same rules apply to Alexander Radulov upon his return?

I just can't see how that makes any sense. There needs to be a formula for computing KHL points into NHL points considering the relative disparity between the leagues is not as strong as it once was. I find it hard to believe that his KHL performance tells us nothing at all about his ability to play the game.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
That is pure insanity in my opinion. Would the same rules apply to Alexander Radulov upon his return?

I just can't see how that makes any sense. There needs to be a formula for computing KHL points into NHL points considering the relative disparity between the leagues is not as strong as it once was. I find it hard to believe that his KHL performance tells us nothing at all about his ability to play the game.

And should we do the same for the AHL, or SEL? I mean, once you start there is no stopping. And yes, the rules apply to all players, even Radulov. 3 years is a wide span. This league has always had its ratings based on the previous NHL seasons. The KHL isn't the NHL.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
And should we do the same for the AHL, or SEL? I mean, once you start there is no stopping. And yes, the rules apply to all players, even Radulov. 3 years is a wide span. This league has always had its ratings based on the previous NHL seasons. The KHL isn't the NHL.

I think it's mostly disappointing because chances are good that even in the event that Jagr plays another great season for the Flyers, he's probably done. The fact that we, the HFNHL, do not get to share in that excitement of having a legend of the game return to the league as a free agent is a bit disappointing..... more than a bit actually.

I understand and obviously accept the rationale, but it's Jaromir Jagr for crying out loud. First ballot HOF guy without even thinking about it and he comes back to the league as a scrub. It just ..... well you know.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I think it's mostly disappointing because chances are good that even in the event that Jagr plays another great season for the Flyers, he's probably done. The fact that we, the HFNHL, do not get to share in that excitement of having a legend of the game return to the league as a free agent is a bit disappointing..... more than a bit actually.

I understand and obviously accept the rationale, but it's Jaromir Jagr for crying out loud. First ballot HOF guy without even thinking about it and he comes back to the league as a scrub. It just ..... well you know.

But the thing is we base ALL our ratings on PAST performance, but you're suggesting we base Jagr's on perceived FUTURE performance. If that's the case can't I ask for Skinner to be rated like a 40 goal scorer instead of a 30 goal scorer? After all, he's older, bigger, has Kaberle to pass him the puck now. I can make a great case for that. Better that than for a 39 year old Jagr.

And I for one am not the least bit excited for the return of Jagr. I think the Flyers will regret the decision and that odds are as good as any that Jagr is back in Europe by Christmas as any other possibility.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002

Point of reference: Petri Kontiola put up almost the same stat line in the KHL as Jaromir Jagr last season.

I'm sorry, but we can't indulge nostalgia. If he puts up a decent season in the NHL and sticks around for another year, then he'll be "ratable" for 2012-13. If not, well then, it's Jagr's own fault. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad