News Article: How the Dougie Hamilton trade went down...

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Short but interesting piece on the Edmonton Journal blog about the Hamilton trade.

Seems other GMs were pissed about not being even aware Hamilton was available.

Also suggests Bruins were convinced Chiarelli was going to offer sheet...

How the Dougie Hamilton trade went down. Boston Bruins felt under the gun from Peter Chiarelli, Friedman says

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...n-dougie-hamilton-negotiations-friedman-says/

Funny quote:

... one executive from a team came up to me and said, ‘I just saw your Twitter. Is it true that Dougie Hamilton is getting traded to Caglary?’ And I pointed, because (Flames GM) Brad Treliving was standing out there on his cell phone, I said, ‘There he is on the trade call.’ And he was furious.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Short but interesting piece on the Edmonton Journal blog about the Hamilton trade.

Seems other GMs were pissed about not being even aware Hamilton was available.

Also suggests Bruins were convinced Chiarelli was going to offer sheet...

How the Dougie Hamilton trade went down. Boston Bruins felt under the gun from Peter Chiarelli, Friedman says

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...n-dougie-hamilton-negotiations-friedman-says/

Funny quote:

But that is saying we traded Hamilton because we feared the offer sheet and didn't mention anything about Hamilton not wantin to sign here.

Just saying good job Chia for pushing for Hamilton.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Would love to know what GM that was that spoke to Friedman, in fact, i'd love to know what Dougie could have commanded for us if they shopped him for even 1 hour before the draft

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
Same as the Seguin deal.

If that's all you could've gotten back there is no way you properly shopped him. His market value was so much better than the return.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Same as the Seguin deal.

If that's all you could've gotten back there is no way you properly shopped him. His market value was so much better than the return.

I disagree. His potential may be high but he hasnt actually accomplished diddley yet. All star, top scoring, top shutdown, tough, one....just one ****ing Norris vote, represent country ? Ill save you time, there anser is nope, nyet, nada.

My list of what he hasnt done can be found in one of the other Dougie Jesus Christ Hamilton trade threads.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Same as the Seguin deal.

I don't recall GMs saying they didn't know Seguin was available. Chiarelli let his fellow GM brethren know he was shopping Seguin.

His mistake on that one was not creating a bidding war and waiting until he got max value in return.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
I disagree. His potential may be high but he hasnt actually accomplished diddley yet. All star, top scoring, top shutdown, tough, one....just one ****ing Norris vote, represent country ? Ill save you time, there anser is nope, nyet, nada.

My list of what he hasnt done can be found in one of the other Dougie Jesus Christ Hamilton trade threads.

Again, How many potential #1 D playing 20+ minutes at age 21 are available in the league? How many time would have like to have that?

Of course, you won't have a #1 D for a potential #1 D, but the return was a joke.

Change the 1st + 2nd + 2nd for Poirier +1st +2nd and it's a fair deal loaded with potential on both side.

Now we more or less traded Dougie Hamilton for the value of Brendan Morrow at 2013 deadline. How scary is that.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Edmonton fluff piece giving Chiarelli credit for a trade he didn't even make but casually brushing over the fact that if that's true he actually inadvertently made a division rival better for cheaper.

That said none of this touches on the fact that Boston made 3 offers, that the Dougie camp reportedly refused to give Boston a counter offer or that the Dougie camp took what appeared to be less than what the experts thought while still having the upper hand when negotiating contracts with Calgary.

But it came out of Edmonton so in the end I'm willing to put about as much stock in this as I would Enron.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Again, How many potential #1 D playing 20+ minutes at age 21 are available in the league? How many time would have like to have that?

Of course, you won't have a #1 D for a potential #1 D, but the return was a joke.

Change the 1st + 2nd + 2nd for Poirier +1st +2nd and it's a fair deal loaded with potential on both side.

Now we more or less traded Dougie Hamilton for the value of Brendan Morrow at 2013 deadline. How scary is that.

Potential doesnt put food on the table. In my lifetime I have. Seen potential generational talents, potential 1 goalies, potential 1 D men, potential next power forwards litter the league with what might have been.

I would have preffered third overall but since that couldnt be done Im actually at peace with the return.

Some here act as if the kid walked across the Charles. I call bull **** on that. Maybe some day. Maybe not. But not today.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

While I tend to agree with you and I don't think the return was really all that bad anyway (plus take into account the gm that made the comments might have thought he could offer more, it certainly doesn't prove that the Bruins agreed it was more and what they wanted) the idea that one or two gm's out of 6 or so wouldnt have gone above and beyond to get him still leaves a not so good taste on the keyboard...

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
btw the return for Hamilton wasn't that bad

the guy Friedman got the story from just reeks of....'OMG, did you see what she was wearing....Oh....my God (hands to cheeks)'

80/20 rule in effect

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Why do people believe he didn't want to sign here?

Because he didn't. He demanded 7.5m, and didn't give a counter offer to any of the four (IIRC) offers we gave... Pretty sure we offered 5.5m over 4, 5, and 6 years, or a bridge deal. That's our first offer... He eventually signed for 5.75m. 5.5m was our FIRST offer, they would negotiate and if he wanted 6.5/7 it probably would have been 6m. Wouldn't have been a problem. Also, he never thanked the fans or the city or anything. In the only interview I've seen, all he said was "it was fun but I'm excited to be a Flame". Whenever anyone else said anything about Boston he completely evaded it.

I don't mind that we traded him, if he doesn't want to be here there's really nothing you can do about it. It just baffles me that a lot of GMs didn't know. Sure, Edmonton was threatening an offer sheet, but he had nearly two weeks to prepare for that... Do you know how many teams are DESPERATE for a #3/#2Ds, not even considering that he has #1 potential? If every team in the league knew, there would be a massive bidding war. There would be overpayment. Players like him don't come around often. He couldn't even get two 1sts out of Calgary... A 1st and 2 2nds. Disgusting. Sweeney has proven he can be a really good GM, he's made some great moves, but this one is just... mind boggling.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Potential doesnt put food on the table. In my lifetime I have. Seen potential generational talents, potential 1 goalies, potential 1 D men, potential next power forwards litter the league with what might have been.

I would have preffered third overall but since that couldnt be done Im actually at peace with the return.

Some here act as if the kid walked across the Charles. I call bull **** on that. Maybe some day. Maybe not. But not today.

So let just say you don't believe in Hamilton potential and I'll forever be a 22 minutes 45 pts defensman with some shortcoming defensively. Don't you think at 21 years old his value is still more than what we got?

I understand what you say, but I highly doubt we can acquire a young D like Fowler, Brodin, Lindohlm, Rieilly, Trouba, Murray, etc. Let alone for a mid 1st and two 2nds.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Value for Dougie Hamilton isn't only measured in the return but in the cap era its also measured in creating space. Unfortunately PC left the Bruins in such a fate cap wise that Sweeney had to move some salaries and apparently he felt Hamilton and his agent were giving him enough signs. He didn't want to play for the Bruins any longer and PC was ready willing and most important able to make a qualifying offer. In that case Sweeney decided to send Dougie packing. Off to all places PC biggest rival the Flames coincidence? Who Knows, but I guess probably not. Could of he gotten a better deal? Who really knows its all hindsight but I know one thing for sure he didn't hesitate to make moves he didn't evaluate for yrs and by doing so he created some much needed cap space .

He ended up with 6 of the first 52 picks in the best draft since 2003 and cleared some much needed cap space in doing so.

Zach Senyshyn, J.F. Karlsson and Jeremy Lauzon was the return for Hamilton along with 5+mil becoming available in cap space and that's all for a player who more than likely didn't want to be here.

I'm giving it a wait and see as Lauzon could end up becoming a stud d-man in his own right. When and, on who will Sweeney use the extra cap space on? It'll be some time before anyone can rightfully judge the Hamilton trade.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
So let just say you don't believe in Hamilton potential and I'll forever be a 22 minutes 45 pts defensman with some shortcoming defensively. Don't you think at 21 years old his value is still more than what we got?

I understand what you say, but I highly doubt we can acquire a young D like Fowler, Brodin, Lindohlm, Rieilly, Trouba, Murray, etc. Let alone for a mid 1st and two 2nds.

When i take into consideration his true performance to date, Pearl Harboring the organization, the depth of this current draft and ongoing market corrections, i think Sweeney did OK. Great ? No. Brutal? No,
He did OK.

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
There is reason to criticize how Boston handled the trade but to praise Chiarelli? If his pressuring or threatening an offer sheet had a hand in what happened it resulted in his team's rival getting the player he wanted for cheap......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad