News Article: How the Canadiens Made the Playoffs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=712518

"On paper, the Montreal Canadiens have no business being where they are, with an invitation to the Stanley Cup Playoffs already in hand with 11 days remaining in the NHL regular season.

The Canadiens have a negative goal differential at 5-on-5, their possession numbers as a team are in the bottom half of the League, their power play is in the middle of the pack, they have yet to find consistent pairings on defense and they give up far too many shots on goal."

We're basically in because of Carey Price.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
We're a different team since the deadline though, so looking at team stats all season long are somewhat misleading in my opinion. Who cares what our team stats were when Bourque was on our first line and not on the fouth/watching in the press box?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
That's a pretty disrespectful quote. Maybe the idiots at the NHL need a reminder what 6 teams deserve a little respect before blurting out little jabs.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
That's a pretty disrespectful quote. Maybe the idiots at the NHL need a reminder what 6 teams deserve a little respect before blurting out little jabs.

Yeah.. it's written by a montreal beat writer.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

"On paper, the Montreal Canadiens have no business being where they are, with an invitation to the Stanley Cup Playoffs already in hand with 11 days remaining in the NHL regular season.

The Canadiens have a negative goal differential at 5-on-5, their possession numbers as a team are in the bottom half of the League, their power play is in the middle of the pack, they have yet to find consistent pairings on defense and they give up far too many shots on goal."

But Scotty Bowman said we were well coached.

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
The Habs could ice the best team ever, win the President's trophy, the Stanley cup, have 10 NHL awards winners and people would still find something bad to say about us or discredit everything they have done all season long. So when they ice an ordinary team I wouln't expect anything less.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I didn't agree with the "on paper" part from a roster perspective.

From a numbers perspective though, they are dead on correct. We've been outchanced and outshot all year long.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa

While true, you can't underestimate "Character".:sarcasm: (only about half sarcastic)

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
There's few things that frustrate me with this team. It's that we never dominate a game , we suck 5v5 and our PP is bad compared to last year. Pretty much have to agree with the article.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Well, to be fair it's not quite exactly just Price. It's also the weakness of the Conference in general and the fumbling play of many other teams in the Conference (in whole or parts of the season).

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

In all seriousness, character has a lot to do with our good season.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The Habs could ice the best team ever, win the President's trophy, the Stanley cup, have 10 NHL awards winners and people would still find something bad to say about us or discredit everything they have done all season long. So when they ice an ordinary team I wouln't expect anything less.

Well no. Heck, just go back to last year, most agree we played well. Most were happy with the way we were coached and liked our game/team. Even losing in 5 versus the Sens and even getting beat down, most still feel like we outplayed Ottawa.
So why would most of the guys feeling that way suddenly start bashing a 4th seeded team?
We're not a bad team. With a healthy roster, I can actually see them reach the finals (the weak eastern conference helps). But not with the way we've played.
If we still get confused and remain structure-less defensively with little transition game, then I think we're only making it harder on ourselves.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Typically the PP/PK opportunities dry up in the post season.
Probably 4 or 5 of the calls we saw last night don't get called (both teams)
Shots on goal should normally be 20-25 per in a playoff game.
The stat is often misleading depending on where the shots came from.
They should actually break it down in Red & Black numbers showing true goal scoring chances.
Having said that the 5 on 5 and possesion numbers become hugely relevant.
The PP/PK magnified. Boston managed a cup recently with no PP to speak of but that was an aberration.

Carey is likely to have zero margin for error unless we drastically change some of our tendencies.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
On paper? Ice skates would rep it into confetti immediately upon contact. How are the Habs on ice?

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
funny-bike-race-finish-line.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad