How strong will the Pacific be this year

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I just watched a power rankings video by The Hockey Guy and this is where he had the Pacific teams ranked:

#7 VGK
#8 SJ
#11 Calgary
#20 Vancouver
#22 Arizona
#26 Anaheim
#29 Edmonton
#30 LA

I think that’s a pretty accurate ranking, perhaps Edmonton might be better than the second worst team in the league and perhaps Vancouver might be a threat to take that 3rd playoff spot from Calgary?

I do think Calgary will fall a bit this year and I do think Van could very well make this playoffs.

It does seem to me that the Pacific is not one of the stronger divisions in the league which should bode well for VGK’s playoff hopes.

I also don’t see a lot off improvement in the off season for the majority of these teams. It seems to me that SJ, Cal and LA are probably not as strong as last year, mostly due to an aging core.

I can’t see Giordano repeating that amazing year at his advanced age so I could see a young, improving Canuck team getting more points than Cal this year.

I think Van and Arizona will definitely be stronger this year and yes, on a positive note, depending on what moves they still may make, VGK could be better as well.

A signed Gusev, or a traded Gusev for some blue-line assistance should make the team better, especially with a full year of Stone.

Reactions: Vegas Mac

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Everything is pretty wide open IMO, including where VGK sits (even with Gusev). That D core just has too many question marks right now.

They should be pretty good in a year when 2 or 3 young defensemen get more experience, but I just don't know right now.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Everything is pretty wide open IMO, including where VGK sits (even with Gusev). That D core just has too many question marks right now.

They should be pretty good in a year when 2 or 3 young defensemen get more experience, but I just don't know right now.

Yes, the defense will probably be average for awhile. I don't see a path for Vegas to add a legitimate #1 Dman anytime in the near future, no cap space, no super-high draft picks.

But it could be better this year. If you replace Engelland with a youngster be it Shuldt, Hague, Bishoff I think the defense could very well be stronger, despite the inexperience. I don't think Engelland can be a factor anymore at his age at the current speed that this game is being played at.

Perhaps the move to make is to find a team with an excess of defensive talent and no forwards and maybe package say Gusev and Eakin for a strong. relatively young D-man you can pair with either Schmidt or Theodore.

As much as I want to keep Gusev and see what he can do, our forward talent is fine. We really, really need to solidify this blue-line to ensure this team can take that next step.

Reactions: Vegas Mac

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Still early to know what the season rosters will be for all the teams, so it's pure guess.

(Not to mention the potential for a injury off season or training camp, or a Schmidt-like suspension, that can really change a team's chemistry and production.)

As well as what rookies might earn a season opening roster spot, or make a great impression after a call up (and not get sent down).

Still a number of players out there that can be signed, GMs might trade some guys, or even put someone on waivers.

IMHO.... VGK (without Gusev) has lost some faceoff wins (Bellemare, Carpenter). Unclear what Gusev can bring (offensively, etc.) to the squad, much less how those faceoffs will be replaced. Also leaves some holes and whether it's Glass or someone else, until training camp starts, it's only on paper.

As for the Sharks... Sharks hope to be better (with a full season of a healthy EK65) and really haven't "lost" anything. There are holes (D and F as well as a potential battle for backup) that prospects may compete for. Gambrell, Chekhovich, Chmelevski and True could be competing for the forward spots; DeSimone, Ferraro, Middleton, Heed and Prout could be competing on the blueline.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Yes, the defense will probably be average for awhile. I don't see a path for Vegas to add a legitimate #1 Dman anytime in the near future, no cap space, no super-high draft picks.

But it could be better this year. If you replace Engelland with a youngster be it Shuldt, Hague, Bishoff I think the defense could very well be stronger, despite the inexperience. I don't think Engelland can be a factor anymore at his age at the current speed that this game is being played at.

Perhaps the move to make is to find a team with an excess of defensive talent and no forwards and maybe package say Gusev and Eakin for a strong. relatively young D-man you can pair with either Schmidt or Theodore.

As much as I want to keep Gusev and see what he can do, our forward talent is fine. We really, really need to solidify this blue-line to ensure this team can take that next step.

Yeah I think the plan is to phase him out, and that will happen if the prospect side is ready. If they have to keep him around a year they can since he'll be cheap, but ideally they'll be able to let him transition into retirement and maybe find him a job with the organization. He's a great dude and Mr. Vegas as far as hockey is concerned, would really be nice to see him stick around after he's done.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Still early to know what the season rosters will be for all the teams, so it's pure guess.

(Not to mention the potential for a injury off season or training camp, or a Schmidt-like suspension, that can really change a team's chemistry and production.)

As well as what rookies might earn a season opening roster spot, or make a great impression after a call up (and not get sent down).

Still a number of players out there that can be signed, GMs might trade some guys, or even put someone on waivers.

IMHO.... VGK (without Gusev) has lost some faceoff wins (Bellemare, Carpenter). Unclear what Gusev can bring (offensively, etc.) to the squad, much less how those faceoffs will be replaced. Also leaves some holes and whether it's Glass or someone else, until training camp starts, it's only on paper.

As for the Sharks... Sharks hope to be better (with a full season of a healthy EK65) and really haven't "lost" anything. There are holes (D and F as well as a potential battle for backup) that prospects may compete for. Gambrell, Chekhovich, Chmelevski and True could be competing for the forward spots; DeSimone, Ferraro, Middleton, Heed and Prout could be competing on the blueline.

Uh...the Sharks lost their captain!

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Uh...the Sharks lost their captain!

Yeah, but their blue line still blows ours' away. This is why I don't mind going younger and wouldn't mind Glass and a couple young defenders making the team. Are they going to end up signing both Thornton and Marleau to friendly deals.? The rest of the team is going to have to log more minutes while the old guys catch their breath? We just got to out skate them and grind them down.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Over/under on points are out. They provide a good estimation of expectations. Might be a little shaded high on VGK at 103.5 due to concerns locals would bet the over more, but the betting market thinks the Knights are the best in the West and has them winning the division by 7 points.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I just watched a power rankings video by The Hockey Guy and this is where he had the Pacific teams ranked:

#7 VGK
#8 SJ
#11 Calgary
#20 Vancouver
#22 Arizona
#26 Anaheim
#29 Edmonton
#30 LA

Knights will be strong, if they find even a decent balance between the goalies during the season. I'm thinking Vancouver is coming close, or maybe getting above during the season. Calgary 3rd. SJ 4th. Rest are going to struggle. Edmonton being the black horse: now with Neal, they officially have a zero defense team.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Pavelski's faceoff prowess might be more missed than his offense.

Sharks have a great leadership group, and the next captain (probably Couture) will come from that, will full support from the team.

I'm not as concerned with the Sharks offense as there are a few "kids" who might make the squad (the CH-twins for two) and provide some offense. And some younger players might improve their offense as well.

Having a full season of Mark Stone may be the biggest improvement for VGK. Also look forward to see who will make the squad (Glass, Hague, Whitecloud, etc.). And how close to his career high will Karly score? Looking forward to camp to see how things click for the squad and which rooks get a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad