TBN: How Sabres can learn from their previous attempt at video amateur scouting model

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
How Sabres can learn from their previous attempt at video amateur scouting model

The strategy annoyed scouts from other teams, produced more draft failures than success stories and drew the ire of fans because many believed it was born out of budget cuts by former owner Tom Golisano. However, video is now regarded as a useful scouting tool and will be used by new Sabres general manager Kevyn Adams as he prepares for his first draft this October.

“It’s a supplemental tool,” said Jeremiah Crowe, the Sabres’ newly appointed director of scouting. “You can only be in one place at a time as a scout and we used a ton of video in the amateur and pro scouting staffs. That holds true for every guy I know in different organizations, but it can be used most effectively with an approach that incorporates it kind of at the front end.”

Regier’s first foray into video wasn’t in amateur scouting. He assigned Schranz some NHL games to edit and analyze for the purpose of learning more about possible player acquisitions. The Sabres continued video in pro scouting and it later was used by Lindy Ruff’s coaching staff to prepare for games.

Although Schranz moved into hockey operations in 2002, it wasn’t until the 2003 draft that the Sabres learned the value of technology in evaluating prospects. Buffalo hosted the NCAA Frozen Four that April, providing Regier with an opportunity to use the team’s in-arena cameras to capture significant footage of Thomas Vanek, the University of Minnesota winger the Sabres later drafted fifth overall.

Reactions: jc17

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It's interesting to read about Regier. He has a brain the size of Botterill's head. One of the reasons he rarely lost a trade is he made extensive use of analytics and video. Some GM's still don't know how to use those tools. :laugh: He'd be a tremendous asset as AGM but I think those bridges have been burned. He's the kind of creative thinker the Sabres could use. In honor of Darcy we should stop using the term Corsi number. It's the Regier number!

The Corsi number was named by Tim Barnes, a financial analyst from Chicago working under the pseudonym Vic Ferrari. He had heard former Buffalo Sabres general manager Darcy Regier talking about shot differential on the radio, and then proceeded to develop a formula to accurately display shot differential. Ferrari originally wanted to name it the Regier number, but he didn't think it sounded right. He then considered calling it the Ruff number after former Buffalo Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff but he didn't think that was appropriate either. Ferrari ended up searching Buffalo Sabres staff, found a picture of Jim Corsi, and chose his name because he liked Corsi's mustache.[1]

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'll reiterate what I said in an earlier thread. Video scouting gets a bad rap because of Persson and Zagrapan, but those two were in bad drafts, and under video scouting the sabres outdrafted most teams with their mid/late round picks. Would be pretty different story if Kopitar fell two more spots.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think you need a mix of both. Some places you can’t get good video to get how players are away from the puck.

Part of the reason buffalo did better in late round drafting is Regier took safer picks vs boom/bust.

The pick that bothers me the most is not drafting nick foligno. He is the son of a former Sabre player with name recognition and he was expected to gi when buffalo drafted so it wasn’t some big reach. Given who is father was and knowing what kind of player he was are intangeables.

Another reason you should have some scouting presence is in Olofsson. Scouting systems had incorrect data on him. He was listed at 5-7. He was taller.

How many scouting leagues are there?

3 CHL League’s, USHL, NCAA.

Then there are the U18 leagues that feed USHL and NCAA

High school hockey areas

7 European countries have younger hockey leagues geared to U18 and U20.

Having 15 scouts doesn’t sound that bad.

It can also be viewed regionally ..

NW US and BC
AB/SK/MB, far west Ontario
upper Midwest
Ontario , Toronto on north
Michigan thru Ohio , PA, and New York and extreme south Ontario
Quebec and northern New England
Nmassschusetts to Maine and and maritimes
Rest of USA

Finland and Baltics
Sweden
Western Europe notway to Germany and Switzerland
Eastern Europe Slovenia to Czech to Poland and belarus
Russia Ukraine, and former soviet states

Having one person assigned to these areas then having a NA and Eurasia leads doesn’t seem like a stretch.

What am I missing?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I think you need a mix of both. Some places you can’t get good video to get how players are away from the puck.

Part of the reason buffalo did better in late round drafting is Regier took safer picks vs boom/bust.

The pick that bothers me the most is not drafting nick foligno. He is the son of a former Sabre player with name recognition and he was expected to gi when buffalo drafted so it wasn’t some big reach. Given who is father was and knowing what kind of player he was are intangeables.

Another reason you should have some scouting presence is in Olofsson. Scouting systems had incorrect data on him. He was listed at 5-7. He was taller.

How many scouting leagues are there?

3 CHL League’s, USHL, NCAA.

Then there are the U18 leagues that feed USHL and NCAA

High school hockey areas

7 European countries have younger hockey leagues geared to U18 and U20.

Having 15 scouts doesn’t sound that bad.

It can also be viewed regionally ..

NW US and BC
AB/SK/MB, far west Ontario
upper Midwest
Ontario , Toronto on north
Michigan thru Ohio , PA, and New York and extreme south Ontario
Quebec and northern New England
Nmassschusetts to Maine and and maritimes
Rest of USA

Finland and Baltics
Sweden
Western Europe notway to Germany and Switzerland
Eastern Europe Slovenia to Czech to Poland and belarus
Russia Ukraine, and former soviet states

Having one person assigned to these areas then having a NA and Eurasia leads doesn’t seem like a stretch.

What am I missing?
You forgot the Serengeti.

Reactions: joshjull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad